Webasto rapid warm up heater ??

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

HDI

Webasto rapid warm up heater ??

Post by HDI »

One thing my Exclusive is fitted with I can't find any info on. First time I knew anything about it was the first cold day of year I bought it. Started up as usual , it's always an instant starter regardless of how cold it is , and within about 30 seconds I heard this noise like a jet turbine from the front nearside !!!

Got out to have a look as I was a little alarmed , and there was a plume of exhaust like condensation from a tube underneath that corner.

So I deduced it must be some sort of heater and carried on with my journey. Over the next few days I noticed that it operates on start up if the ambient air temp is 12 deg c or lower and cuts out when the engine reaches operating temp.

The unit I can see is marked Webasto but beyond that I cannot find any further info.

Can anyone throw light on it ?

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

The Exclusive HDI, as you know, takes ages to warm up in the winter due to it being so efficient. As a result, the Exclusives were fitted with an auxiliary water heater to get things moving quicker in the heating/demisting department during the colder weather. Some were fitted with the Webasto, some with a different one beginning with a K I believe and others with a special electric water heater comprising a set of four glowplug-like elements in an alloy block.

They're great :D They run on diesel and are ignited by a special glowplug and kept going with forced air from a fan, sounding like a little jet plane when on full-song.

DFickieG has posted about his in the past and knows much about them. He wrote a small piece about sorting a fault on his a while back in the Citeronian (the CCC magazine).

You are very lucky to have one :D

DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy

Post by DickieG »

Jim has described these additional heaters quite well, the other make/model is a "Eberspächer D3W" as fitted to VW Transporter vans and Ford Galaxies (the MPV rather than the 1960's barge :lol: ).

If your heater is operating @ 12°C its waiting fuel (as it runs on diesel) there is a modification where you fit an inline temp sensor which reduces the operating temperature down to 5°C (the point at which frost starts to form) let me know if you want details of the part numbers.

The smoke output can be reduced by either fitting a new glow plug or an additional intake pipe to reduce 'clogging' of the glow plug.

I'm almost willing the temperature to drop below 5°C to see/hear the jet engine in my car operating, these are real boys toys noise, smoke etc :twisted: :twisted:

HDI

Post by HDI »

Cheers guys.

No problem with smoke , it's just condensation of the exhaust on cold air.

Would appreciate the info for the mod that changes the operating temp to 5 deg c , 12 deg has always seemed high to me.

What puzzles me is why there is no mention of this device in the handbook ??!! Would like to have a look at one these on the bench , boys toys tinkering !!

DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy

Post by DickieG »

i'll dig the info out for the modification but in the meantime here's a couple of photo's of the heater unit;Image
The reason for the lack of info in the handbook is I suppose is because you have no control over the unit.

HDI

Post by HDI »

Cool !! Cheers for that ! Looks quite tech. Wouldn't want to pay for a new one !!

myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Post by myglaren »

We used to have Eberspächer cabin/engine heaters in the Volvos. IIRC they were around £3,000.

HDI

Post by HDI »

GULP !!! :shock: Well if that stops working it can stay stopped !!