Webasto rapid warm up heater ??

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

HDI
My Cars:

Webasto rapid warm up heater ??

Post by HDI »

One thing my Exclusive is fitted with I can't find any info on. First time I knew anything about it was the first cold day of year I bought it. Started up as usual , it's always an instant starter regardless of how cold it is , and within about 30 seconds I heard this noise like a jet turbine from the front nearside !!!

Got out to have a look as I was a little alarmed , and there was a plume of exhaust like condensation from a tube underneath that corner.

So I deduced it must be some sort of heater and carried on with my journey. Over the next few days I noticed that it operates on start up if the ambient air temp is 12 deg c or lower and cuts out when the engine reaches operating temp.

The unit I can see is marked Webasto but beyond that I cannot find any further info.

Can anyone throw light on it ?
Now using '00 Xantia LX HDI, pov spec :(
My past Citroens :-
'00 Xantia SX HDI, now dead due to accident :(
'99 Xantia HDI 110 Exclusive, RIP :(
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
'79 CX2400 Pallas (scrapped :( )
& a couple of Peugeots !
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

The Exclusive HDI, as you know, takes ages to warm up in the winter due to it being so efficient. As a result, the Exclusives were fitted with an auxiliary water heater to get things moving quicker in the heating/demisting department during the colder weather. Some were fitted with the Webasto, some with a different one beginning with a K I believe and others with a special electric water heater comprising a set of four glowplug-like elements in an alloy block.

They're great :D They run on diesel and are ignited by a special glowplug and kept going with forced air from a fan, sounding like a little jet plane when on full-song.

DFickieG has posted about his in the past and knows much about them. He wrote a small piece about sorting a fault on his a while back in the Citeronian (the CCC magazine).

You are very lucky to have one :D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Jim has described these additional heaters quite well, the other make/model is a "Eberspächer D3W" as fitted to VW Transporter vans and Ford Galaxies (the MPV rather than the 1960's barge :lol: ).

If your heater is operating @ 12°C its waiting fuel (as it runs on diesel) there is a modification where you fit an inline temp sensor which reduces the operating temperature down to 5°C (the point at which frost starts to form) let me know if you want details of the part numbers.

The smoke output can be reduced by either fitting a new glow plug or an additional intake pipe to reduce 'clogging' of the glow plug.

I'm almost willing the temperature to drop below 5°C to see/hear the jet engine in my car operating, these are real boys toys noise, smoke etc :twisted: :twisted:
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

Cheers guys.

No problem with smoke , it's just condensation of the exhaust on cold air.

Would appreciate the info for the mod that changes the operating temp to 5 deg c , 12 deg has always seemed high to me.

What puzzles me is why there is no mention of this device in the handbook ??!! Would like to have a look at one these on the bench , boys toys tinkering !!
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
& a couple of Peugeots !
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

i'll dig the info out for the modification but in the meantime here's a couple of photo's of the heater unit;Image
The reason for the lack of info in the handbook is I suppose is because you have no control over the unit.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

Cool !! Cheers for that ! Looks quite tech. Wouldn't want to pay for a new one !!
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
& a couple of Peugeots !
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

We used to have Eberspächer cabin/engine heaters in the Volvos. IIRC they were around £3,000.
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

GULP !!! :shock: Well if that stops working it can stay stopped !!
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
& a couple of Peugeots !