RT6 to NAC (Connected NAV) Upgrade

This is the Connected NAV system.
Main Features: It is a fully integrated Telematics System featuring CarPlay, Android Auto, Real Time Services, Voice Commands, High-Res Display, 3D Navigation, Bluetooth Hands Free & USB. 2 versions of the system are available NAC (Navigation Audio Connectée) and RCC (Radio Couleur Connectée) or Connected Colour Radio, which does not have the Integrated Navigation or Live Services.

Moderator: GiveMeABreak

MacSlavko
My Cars: DS5 2.0 BlueHDi

RT6 to NAC (Connected NAV) Upgrade

Post by MacSlavko »

For chcnorris29 or anyone interested:
Good news is the RT6 head unit can be replaced with later NAC Wave2 head unit that was built-in into the latest DS5 series! I personally have swapped my SMEG+IV2 (mid 2015) for NAC (2018) 5 months ago.

What you need is:
a) NAC Wave2: 9821908880 (analog); 9821908980 (DAB+),
b) capacitive 7" touchscreen: Continental EMF DGT7C 9813041280; or multi-touch (3 finger gesture) 9825031680,
c) cable adapters (AliExpress),
d) telecoding your VIN (by seller with Arduino tool or by dealrship and DiagBox) so it doesn't beep at you every second.

Best if you can source it from a written-off DS5 (less hassle for telecoding), but can be sourced from any PSA vehicle equipped with NAC Wave2 (my is from a 2018 P-Expert and screen from a 2018 Toyota Proace). In that case the seller needs to configure the NAC right for your speciffic DS5 with Arduiono tool, and most of them do it (ready for Plug&Play). Make sure you get the VIN from donor car as well.

The whole set can be found on eBay from 400€ onwards. Currently one offered for 410€. Mine was around 440€.
For a prefacelift DS5 you may also want to replace the front radio and heater fascia with the facelift one, as some of the buttons for head unit on later models are different. Or you can leave it as it is - you operate it on the touchscreen anyway. In the same way the knob on the central console becomes obsolete and inactive with NAC.

For me it is a well worth upgrade if you want an up-to-date infotainment system, with Tom-Tom 3D maps (updates free for life), voice commands, Connected services (traffic, weather, parking...), 2 USB slots, CarPlay / AndroidAuto and more...
Even myDS app will work! 8-)
Attachments
IMG_2082.jpeg
IMG_2072.jpeg
IMG_2069.jpeg
IMG_2068.jpeg
IMG_1635.jpeg
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: DS5 Radio Replacement

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Thanks for the guide Mac. I've moved this to the Telematics section.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
dobi89
My Cars: Peugeot 508SW 2.0HDI 163ps

Re: RT6 to NAC (Connected NAV) Upgrade

Post by dobi89 »

Hi There,

I would like to ask that is it possible to upgrade my RT6 system to this solution?
My car is from 2011. I would like to upgade it but the android solution not good in Radio function.
Thanks for help.
MacSlavko

Post by MacSlavko »

What car do you got?
Any RT6 from a P508, DS5 and alike can be replaced by NAC as described above…
CarPlay and AndrioidAuto nativly supported with NAC.
SirLouen
My Cars: Peugeot 508 SW 2011

Post by SirLouen »

MacSlavko wrote: 06 Jan 2022, 13:27 What car do you got?
Any RT6 from a P508, DS5 and alike can be replaced by NAC as described above…
CarPlay and AndrioidAuto nativly supported with NAC.
Hello
I have a 508 from 2011 with RT6. I know there was an update in 2014 for this car, but not sure if this affected the dashboard format
Also not sure if the VIN telecoding would render my 508 2011 unable to make NAC compatible also.
MacSlavko

Post by MacSlavko »

I think NAC was factory fitted in 2016-2018 models of 508. Not sure about when the facelift took place. After RT6 a few years there was SMEG+ installed, but only last two years of the production NAC was fitted (note a minor change on the buttons beneath the touchscreen).

NAC can be retrofitted to any 508.
It takes the head unit, capacitive touchscreen and LVDS cable, adapter cables for antenas and USB, as well as telecoding the new head unit to your VIN.

Topic is well covered on various Peugeot forums...
Attachments
Slika zaslona 2022-01-09 u 15.59.20.png
SirLouen

Post by SirLouen »

I've seen some topics about this, but never found something talking about 508 (2010-2011 version) specifically. I own a 508 SW 2011 that is basically the same model.

Not sure which tutorial from other model will fit and how skilled should I be to do the assembly by my own. Do you have some good info about this that may fit my car model? I saw specially 99% of the topics covering Citroens.
Last edited by GiveMeABreak on 09 Jan 2022, 16:03, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed Quote - no need to Quote previous Post.
MacSlavko

Post by MacSlavko »

You can swap your RT6 with NAC. If you can get to the RT6 head unit and take it out, then you can fit the NAC yourself.

For that you'll need:

1: NAC EUR Wave2.
It can be Analogue (AM/FM): 9821908880 or Digital (AM/FM,DAB+): 9821908980. That one has additional orange antena connector on the back and if you buy that type, you'll obviously need additional DAB+ antenna (around 30€).
Or you can even fit a newer version: NAC Wave3 (9822305180) or similar (see the attathed NAC SN file) as Wave3 was fitted in the last two years of the production of previous 508.
You don't need dual LVDS version as that's only for iCocpit equipped cars. But it is important that the seller provides you with the VIN of the donor car (needed for telecoding or additional services).

2. Capacitive touchscreen: Your existing screen isn't good for NAC so you need a new one: Continental EMF DGT7C 9813041280, or Multitouch (3-finger gesture) 9825031680. That can come from any PSA car (mine is from Toyota Proace) as long as the SN is the same, but make sure it comes with the black LVDS cable with rounded connector to attacth it to the NAC.
The brown power connector to the screen becomes obsolete - new tochscreen takes the power and the data via single black LVDS cable.

3: Cable adapters from AliExpress (around 30€). RT6 and NAC use different connectors so you'll need adapetrs (in search type RCC NAC cable adapters). If you want to use the both USB ports on your NAC, take cable adapeters option C. Apple CarPlay and AndroidAuto will work nativelly, but only if a smartphone is attathed to original USB port, but you can use the second one for Mp3 stick or anuthing else.

4: Telecoding. If your NAC comes from a 2017 P508 then all it takes is telecoding the head unit to your VIN. But, it's a bit tricky with NAC as it's locked to the previous owner VIN, and you can't change that with your Diagbox (if you have one). Most of the sellers on the eBay have the Arduino tool and they will configure the NAC to your car (all the functions -if they differ- and write in your VIN) prior to sending it to you.
Upon installing everything will work Plug&Play and you'll even be able to use MyPeugeot mobile app (both for Android and iOS).

5: New front fascia (optional). With NAC installed your media knob on the central pillar will become inactive. You can take it out and install a small empty cup holder or a handy space for little objects, like it is on facelift models.
Also, some buttons under the touchscreen on the radio panel will become obsolete and therefore are removed in facelift version. But I think you can retain your original panel, just those Rev and Ffw buttons my be inactive...

6: Connected Services (optional). For NAC users PSA and TomTom offer a bundle of On-line services (real-time traffic on the route, wather forecast, speedcams and other). It requires 1 or 3 years subscription (89 or 149€). In order to use it you'll need to make an account on Peugeot Store Services site with donor car's VIN, buy the subscription with that VIN (as your original VIN isn't elegeble for Connected Services) and you'll need to establish a permanent Internet connection to NAC for that to work.
It can be done simply by sharing the Internet data from your smartphone, or you can go a step further and install an indipandent BTA2 telematic box that provides a permanent Internet connection with TomTom satelites. But that's a separate and quite a demanding topic...

Do some resaerch and when you have all the answers - you can do it youself. I'd say it takes moderate od medium DIY skill level. Definitelly not too hard to do (not a garage job)...
Attachments
H48d654f510cd41b09538c78b155591b4f.jpg
NAC Types and Serial numbers.png
SirLouen

Post by SirLouen »

MacSlavko wrote: 09 Jan 2022, 16:16 You can swap your RT6 with NAC. If you can get to the RT6 head unit and take it out, then you can fit the NAC yourself.
Very interesting information, but it looks extremely risky, specially because most pieces are without return. And not sure if any official source will be willing to give this kind of information

Also finding kind of complex knowing if they will fit somehow. First I'm going to try to open the thing and see which cables are wired
MacSlavko

Post by MacSlavko »

I don't understand what are talking about...
Nothing's risky there and it's been done a hundred of times by numerous people who replaced their RT6s or SMEGs with NAC.

What do you mean by "official source"? PSA authorised garages aren't trained nor allowed to perform these kind of upgrades and they won't even have the knowledge on the matter. You have all the information in my previous post. Feel free to check it out on any similar forum you can find.

As for the buy; you are well covered for anything you buy on eBay (NAC and display) as well as the adapter cables on AliExpres.
I gave you decent information on the proces, although it's not an in depth step-by-step guide. It took me about 6 months to gather all those information, reading various forums (64 pages of mainly french posts being just one of them) and even privately contacting the people with most of the knowledge and experience to clarify some hazy detailes for me (VLud in France, Leloman in Portugal and Albin in Russia). Why being so distrustful then?

I had excellent comunication with the eBay seller of my NAC. A great guy from Romania who did telecoding live with me being on the FaceTime call and overseeing everything he was doing. When the head unit arrived it was a Plg&Play thing.
The whole telecoding and testing for my DS5 he did it in his 508, by the way (see the photos bellow). 😎

As for the display, I bought it from am eBay seller in France. Unfortunatelly it came with broken glass, but I got my money back in the same day and sent the goods back at seller's cost. Took me another month to find another display at affordable price (not very easy to find one sold separatelly), but eventually I found one in Norway and also had a great comunication and excellent buing experience with the seller.

Cable adapetrs I oredered from AliExpress were the exact thing I needed and they worked right away.

So now you have a quite clear picture on the swapping proces, plus you have all the serial numbers of the parts you need and I can't see why raise a doubt... Clearly I have no profit of sharing those information for everyone to see. But I gladly do so in order to help those who are struggling with the idea of the upgrade as I know how valuable other people's help was at the time I needed it.

PS: you can find an already telecoded bundle of NAC + display + cables on eBay for around 450€ on eBay, waiting only for your VIN to be written in. In that case you deal with just one seller who guaranties for the whole set. And he has to telecode your VIN - otherwise you'll hear the annoying Beep at every second. And if he can telecode your VIN that means he has Arduino tool to do it, so again - there's no reason to worry about.

That is, of course, if you want to do the swap...
Which I highly recomand to everyone who wants to have a modern infotainment in-car system, fully adopted and synchronised with the native car's functions and the rest of the built-in equipment.
Attachments
DLPO2478.jpeg
IMG_0878.jpeg
KMAP4307.jpeg
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I think he appreciates all that you have written :) and thanks for that useful guide :wink:

But for somebody who was not sure what is involved it can be a bit daunting, but I am sure your guide has helped clarify the process for him.

@ SirLouen: Yes, be aware that you won't get any official support on this from any dealer, so it's a decision you need to make yourself as to whether you are comfortable in undertaking the work yourself.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
SirLouen

Post by SirLouen »

Yes it's very useful the info here but as @GiveMeABreak has suggested, it's very daunting.

I think, first of all, I'm going to start dismounting everything on my car, and see how it goes cable-wise and how everything is attached to the car.

At these point I'm not even sure, how the cables are attached

Also another thing i'm worried is about "debugging". For example, in the screen doesnt work but the NAC does, how I could recognize it?

So far I see these seems the most suitable cables. Maybe I will start by purchasing them and figuring out how they will be connected and placed in the car.
https://es.aliexpress.com/item/32951075448.html
MacSlavko

Post by MacSlavko »

Yes, those are correct cables. Option C gives you second USB cable and the price is 30€.
Bera in mind that NAC doesn't have integrated CD reader. I think it's integrated into the RT6, but on SMEG and NAC head unitits it's a separate box. So if you want to play CDs - you'll need that too (see the photo of CD reder + NAC bellow).

The cables are FAKRA type, so they're attached bu Plug&Pin- means you press one pin on the connector and it's free to be unplugged. Easilly.

As for the functionality - you can aske the seller to show you the video of the compete set. It's in his best interest to sell the working equipment. If anything goes wrong - you are eBay protected and ecxept that you can leave negative feedback, should you have negative experience with a speciffic seller...

Again, no reason to worry about.

It's also usefull to watch some videos on replacing the head unit in P508. Always a good idea to learn from someone who's been there and done it...
Attachments
IMG_1619.jpeg
SirLouen

Post by SirLouen »

MacSlavko wrote: 10 Jan 2022, 17:41 Bera in mind that NAC doesn't have integrated CD reader. I think it's integrated into the RT6, but on SMEG and NAC head unitits it's a separate box. So if you want to play CDs - you'll need that too (see the photo of CD reder + NAC bellow).
The screen and the NAC you bought were from 2nd hand cars?

I've watching this video which looks interesting from the unmounting part

But they install like a box other than NAC, and they keep the SMEG-type screen (compared to the pricings I see with NAC, it's kind of expensive, for almost the same functionality).

What it is interesting is that they achieve the same level of functionality than the NAC (CarPlay/Android Auto thingy)

EDIT:

I've found multiple car scrapping in my area that are offering the 9821908880. The problem obviously, is the job of telecoding my VIN.

I have multiple arduino controllers in my house, but not sure to what extent I would be able to do this by myself. Any info regarding this topic?
MacSlavko

Post by MacSlavko »

Yes. My NAC came from a written off Peugeot Expert (2018) and my display came from an also written off Toyota Proace (a copy of Expert under Toyota logo). Screen needs no telecoding whatsoever, but my NAC needed telecoding of buttons and functions (different on Expert and DS5) and obviously my VIN. That was done by the seller who had experience with this kind of modifications, and he had a DS5 calibration file neded. Nevertheless, we went through all the options together and I just confirmed the speciffic questions about my equipment (rear camera, directional lights etc.).

You may have the Arduino controler yourself, but that's not enough. It needs to be specially designed board with deviation wires to trick the PSA car's BSI - thus allowing the user to configure things as if he were connected to PSA servers with Diagnostic division access level to perform alterations otherwise denied to an authorised dealership (not to mention indie versions of Diagbox owners such as myself).

So the answer to your question is: no, you can't do it alone. Even if you find a NAC 9821908880 / 9821908980 you won't be able to configure it. It's best you buy the NAC (or the whole set) from a seller who can do the necessary telecoding. Most of them can.
Again, if your NAC comes from a latest version of P508 (2016-2018) then it's already configured for your car (buttons are OK just check your equipment level) and it needs only writing in your VIN. But if it comes from say a P2008 or a DS5 then it needs more telecoding. Always with special Arduino tool and calibration file for P508 and your VIN at the end.

The video you linked is a different thing. It's basically adding an electornic box to a SMEG head unit (not possible with RT6) to simulate CarPlay and AndroidAuto functions. That alone is a quite pricy box, not to mention you would need a SMEG head unit, touchscreen display (DGT2) and adapter cables. All together pops up to aroud 700-800€ which makes no sense.

So again, search for a NAC bundle (or at least a configured NAC) from a seller that can telecode it for your car, and you're all set.
Don't be surprised if it takes a while. My conversion process took 4 months as I was buying part by part (and had a delay with the broken dispaly). It's a lot faster if you buy a whole bundle, but it's also a bit pricier that way...

PS: not sure if you can add the separate CD player when swapping RT6 for NAC! But you'll definitelly have CarPlay and AndroidAuto plus the second USB port for Mp3 music, so CD might be irrelevant in favour to installing a much superior head unit with loads of other functions...