Espace brake failure?

This is the Forum for all your Renault Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Richard Gallagher

Post by Richard Gallagher »

Personally I would strongly suspect the master cylinder, the symptoms you describe are in keeping with it being past its 'sell by date'.
You could try bleeding the system and flushing it out, if possible use a pressure kit such as 'Gunsons' in order to make sure no air is trapped in the system, failing that then as above as far as I can see.
edd001

Post by edd001 »

I have to agree, I would have said the master cylinder is shot.
arry_b

Post by arry_b »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by taipan</i>
There is alsoa cyclical bearing type noise from teh nsf wheel. Which I hope is just a wwheel bearing. I was told to replace this first as this can sometimes cause spongy brakes.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Nonsense!
Sounds like one half of your split braking system has failed. However, it may be worth foing a full fluid flush and bleed if you haven't done so already. It could be something simple like a trapped air bubble, and the fluid will be past its best if its sat unused for a year.
arry_b

Post by arry_b »

Good place to start. Once you've sorted that amd pushed new fluid through (if you haven't got one get an eezibleed - very easy job) you may have a better pedal.
reblack68

Post by reblack68 »

A worn wheel bearing can cause long pedal travel. Play in the bearing can allow the disc to move, forcing the brake pads out. This leaves the brakes needing to take up the play before they can work. A loose driveshaft nut can cause the same thing.