Fuel filter BlueHDI 180

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

JimmyTulip

Fuel filter BlueHDI 180

Post by JimmyTulip »

Hello,

yesterday I changed the fuel filter on my Citroen C5 Aircross with BlueHDI 180 engine.

The old/original filter was attached at the bottom of the fuel filter housing and looked like this:
OldFilter-#1.jpg
OldFilter-#2.jpg
I replaced the filter by one of the well known brand "MANN-Filter". The filter had the producd-id "PU 7010 z".
Different from the original filter the MANN replacement is attached to the top of the fuel filter housing.
As of my research there were 3 different versions of this filter from MANN. I installed the "version 2":
Mann-Versions.png
Link to MANN product-page: https://catalog.mann-filter.com/EU/eng/ ... 207010%20z
Link to MANN mounting video: https://www.youtube.com/embed/nF7jA9g7HC8

Now I have a bad feeling about it:
It did not snap nicely into place on the top of the fuel filter housing. It was a bit crooked when fully attached.
Yesterday I felt OK about it and I reassembled everything. I did prime the fuel filter using Diagbox. I went for a 20 min. test drive. I did run a diagnose using Diagbox after the test drive.
Everything was fine. There were no errors. There are no leaks and everything is runs smoothly.

I did watch the following video on YouTube. The guy replaces the fuel filter and uses the same fuel filter von MANN:

At around 8 min 15 sec you see the guy using a lot of force to snap the filter into place. I don't know, if used that much force?
His filter is a bit crooked too, but not as much as mine was ...

I am not sure, what I should do now.
  • Leave it as it is.
  • Disassemble everything again and check the fitment of the MANN filter.
  • Buy a new (original?) filter. Disassemble everything again and replace the MANN filter.
Does anybody have any experience on this?

Thank you very much!
PaulC5
Donor 2024

Re: Fuel filter BlueHDI 180

Post by PaulC5 »

You look to have got the wrong replacement filter. This happened to us when getting one for our 1.6 hdi Cactus, GSF supplied the wrong part (Mann). Once the old one was removed I saw the Mann one did not have the 'nozzle' on the bottom as in your first photo so put the old one back . I managed to then get the correct one from Eurocarparts which was a Bosch.

If I was you, I would buy the correct filter and fit it. For something that is replaced about every 4 years you will be worried about it until then if you do nothing now. Worse though, it might not be stopping bits of metal/other stuff getting to the injectors. In my case I was able to return the Mann one to GSF since I had not used it so it was as new,
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

We can help if you need an original genuine part number, part diagram or factory build sheet and can't already find the info you need on the Forum. For this service, we do ask for a membership upgrade for official parts data as we are in turn charged for this. It will cover you for future part number requests for up to 2 years, so excellent value.

If interested, links are below, then provide your vehicle's VIN in full, which will be masked automatically when you submit your post.
A response to your question by a Forum Admin requiring parts or specific vehicle information requires you
to have made a current contribution
(Min. £10 / €11.48 or equivalent) to the Forum.
To Upgrade Your Membership & Donate Click Here

For Further Information About Vehicle Parts and VIN Numbers Click Here
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
JimmyTulip

Post by JimmyTulip »

Hello,
PaulC5 wrote: 03 Apr 2024, 11:51 You look to have got the wrong replacement filter. This happened to us when getting one for our 1.6 hdi Cactus, GSF supplied the wrong part (Mann). Once the old one was removed I saw the Mann one did not have the 'nozzle' on the bottom as in your first photo so put the old one back . I managed to then get the correct one from Eurocarparts which was a Bosch.

If I was you, I would buy the correct filter and fit it. For something that is replaced about every 4 years you will be worried about it until then if you do nothing now. Worse though, it might not be stopping bits of metal/other stuff getting to the injectors. In my case I was able to return the Mann one to GSF since I had not used it so it was as new,
I don't think this is the wrong part in general. It is listed to be the correct part everywhere. The guy in the mentioned YouTube video uses the same. At ~8 min. 5 sec. you can see him installing the MANN replacement filter on the top-cap. At ~8 min. 50 sec. he removes the original filter, which is fitted in the bottom of the filter housing. For whatever reason they changed the design.
In my case I think it did not snap into place correctly.

However - I am looking forward to travel long distances soon. I don't like to guess if it is fine or not and I don't want to take it apart multiple times. Therefore I did bite the bullet:
OriginalPart.jpg
GiveMeABreak wrote: 03 Apr 2024, 12:36 We can help if you need an original genuine part number, part diagram or factory build sheet and can't already find the info you need on the Forum. For this service, we do ask for a membership upgrade for official parts data as we are in turn charged for this. It will cover you for future part number requests for up to 2 years, so excellent value.
Is there a chance to get workshop information too? (e.g. excerpt of workshop manual on specific topic)
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

No, sorry, these are behind an additional PSA paywall that we don't subscribe to. We only provide the official parts request service for donating members, which for up to 2 years, the cost is less than a one-off brief session if you were to pay this yourself directly.

Marc
JimmyTulip

Post by JimmyTulip »

I took everything apart again and replaced the MANN filter. I think it would have been OK, but I did not bother anymore.

The original PSA fuel filter snapped into place at the bottom of the filter housing with a very satisfying click.
That was what I wanted to hear and feel ...
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Good, there's something to be said for OEM parts as you know they are guaranteed to fit.

Marc