[Answered] Stupid question regarding Diagbox connections

This is the place for all your Diagnostic related questions or advice.

Moderator: RichardW

the-termin8r
Donor 2023

[Answered] Stupid question regarding Diagbox connections

Post by the-termin8r »

Hi everyone,

This is my first post here, but I've been a reader for a few weeks now. I got a Diagbox kit for Xmas to use on my 2009 C5 X7 and I'm a little confused about the connections / looking for a sanity check. Logically I'm assuming the connections are as follows:

Laptop > Cursed USB-A to VGA cable > Main module > Round multi-pin female connector to male OBD2 cable > Car's female OBD2 port

However, my kit also came with another loom that's two large croc clips and a thermocouple to a female OBD2 port (like the one on my C5). Am I right in assuming that this is just for other / older models of car?

How is the main module powered, does it take all its power from the USB port?

Finally, the main module has a 3 pin JST header. Does anyone know what it's for? The kit didn't come with any JST cables.

Thanks a lot of any help you can provide.
Last edited by the-termin8r on 30 Dec 2022, 12:14, edited 1 time in total.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Re: Stupid question regarding Diagbox connections

Post by GiveMeABreak »

For this vehicle just connect the USB to your laptop, connect that to the VCI (Main Unit and from there, the other connection to the ODBII Port on the vehicle.

Yes, the VCI is powered via the USB. So make sure that your laptop power saving features for USB ports are disabled! You may need to go into advanced power settings for this, look for the USB settings and disable switching off of the USB ports.

Make sure you are not using the laptop for anything important, as installation is messy and it creates files and folders all over the place. You haven't said which software version of Diagbox you are using, but for a C5 X7, Diagbox 7 is perfectly fine. Just upgrade to 7.62 and no further if you want telecoding / configuration features to work. Also if Version 7.**, once activated after installation, make sure you take a copy of your licence file and back it up. If the unit is allowed internet connection it can be deactivated, requiring deinstallation, cleaning and reinstallation again!
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
the-termin8r
Donor 2023

Post by the-termin8r »

Hi Marc, thanks a bunch for the reply.

I made sure to turn off all power saving measures I could get my hands on when I first got the laptop a couple of years ago, so USB ports sleeping shouldn't be an issue.

Regarding the install. I'm booting a VM with XP off an external USB stick. I'm still faffing about setting it up, but it's looking promising. I'm not sure which version of Diagbox I have as I haven't installed it yet. The piece of paper that came as basic instructions suggests 7.02, but the Ebay listing says 7.62 and 7.83, so I'm assuming it's 7.something. Is the licence file easy to find or is it some obscure file path?
- Rob

My account accidentally got deleted late Dec '23, so if you're reading my posts from then or earlier and they look weird / are missing media, that's why. Not much can be done, sorry.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Copy the licence file from C:\AWROOT\BIN\FI\APPDIAG.SYS after the installation and after it restarts which should be at version 7.02 of Diagbox. Copy the APPDIAG.SYS files from the directory and store it safely so that you can copy it back to the same location later it later if Diagbox deactivates.

Again, only upgrade as far as 7.62.

Also, be wary that there can be multiple issues with VMs, just make sure the USB port pass through is working correctly or it won't communicate. Also your network adapter hardware must be enabled, but a live internet connection should not be available to ensure that it cannot automatically connect to any wifi access point / router.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
the-termin8r
Donor 2023

Re: [Answered] Stupid question regarding Diagbox connections

Post by the-termin8r »

Just a quick update for anyone that finds this in the future. I spoke to the seller and they answered the other questions.
the-termin8r wrote: 29 Dec 2022, 22:53 However, my kit also came with another loom that's two large croc clips and a thermocouple to a female OBD2 port (like the one on my C5). Am I right in assuming that this is just for other / older models of car?
It's for old, pre-OBD, models.
the-termin8r wrote: 29 Dec 2022, 22:53 Finally, the main module has a 3 pin JST header. Does anyone know what it's for? The kit didn't come with any JST cables.
That's for factory testing and is of no use to the end user.
- Rob

My account accidentally got deleted late Dec '23, so if you're reading my posts from then or earlier and they look weird / are missing media, that's why. Not much can be done, sorry.