BX front struts- yet another cure...

This is an ARCHIVE of common fixes. Material for this section should be submitted to an Admin or Moderator for approval then inclusion.

Moderator: RichardW

tomsheppard
My Cars:

BX front struts- yet another cure...

Post by tomsheppard »

Lower the suspension fully, remove the vent pipes from the strut and immerse the cleaned ends in a jar of LHM. Select maximum height.
Replace the vent pipes. This method lubricates the inside of the strut. The ride is transformed and it will last longer than greasing the outer strut shaft.
Bob Smith
My Cars:

Post by Bob Smith »

As these pipes already contain LHM I don't see how the ride can be improved, unless of course it's feature of new LHM like the short lived non-sinking rear end when the LHM is replaced.
Bob
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

They don't usually contain LHM They usually contain air. The leakage rate into the outer strut is minimal or more often none at all so the felt wipers dry up. This causes the stiction and groaning of the bronze bearing. Injecting a deliberate shot of LHM is certain to get to the bits other beers don't reach!
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Cheers Tom [;)]
I certainly see the point of your idea, and you get my vote [:)]
As Bob writes, there are in fact some LHM in the struts, from seepage of the cylinder seal, but this never reaches such amounts it can lubricate the upper part where the bronze bearing and felt washer resides - UNLESS of course you have the dreaded overpressure problem from gross failure of the seal [}:)]
Your idea is applicable to all hydraulic Citroen models using McPherson type hydraulic front struts [8D]
It certainly is a much easier approach than greasing the protruding rod under the gaiter [8]
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Works better too, having greased the outer strut earlier and compared results.
Greasing the outer helps a lot but injection is a revelation.
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Have to try this on my XM, now that I have finally got it back from the panel bashers!
//NiSk
JohnCKL
My Cars:

Post by JohnCKL »

May I know where are the vent pipes in a Xantia TD? Thanks.
paranoid
My Cars:

Post by paranoid »

Will this work on a xant!!!!!
I have just done this as described, but haven't taken it for a run yet,I take it you mean the rubber pipe from the strut that goes to a plastic pipe under the inner wing?
Anythings got to be better than greasing the strut every month[:D]
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

I made a detailed write up based on Tom's method : Lubing front struts
Thanks to Tom Sheppard, it's now a simple matter lubing the front struts [8D]
AWG
My Cars:

Post by AWG »

Just read Anders writeup and noted the wise advice on discarding the LHM after the procedure. I am just about to replace LHM on BX and Xantia and reckon the waste LHM will be clean enough for the front struts thus improving my beer balance. Some one tell me why not before the weekend!
vanny
My Cars:

Post by vanny »

LHM is made up of what are effectively small strands of molecules. As the LHM gets pumped round the system there strands break down into smaller strands or individual molecules. Its obviously not visable to the human eye, but old LHM is about as usefull as throwing Extra Virgin Olive oil at the thing, it wont lubricate as well and will rapidly run out. Its also the reason why then you change the LHM the back end stops sinking as the chains of LHM molecules are too big to past through the seals, but after a bit of use the LHM breaks down and can pass through again :(
Its quite heavily affected by temperature as well, nice to live in the cold UK climate!
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

I'm defo with Vanny on this -
It's a bit hard to believe that oil's used in a car is a "mechanical wear" component, but so it is for reasons explained by Vanny.
This is true for all the oils used : hydraulic LHM oil, engine oil, and gear oil.
As these oils are different types according to different usage, they also have different "wear limits".
You can not judge by the visual look, other than the obvious colour change which is always a telltale.
I've seen "economy maintained" cars with engine oils black/thin as ink, because of high contents of sooths. Such an engine oil only have one property left : cooling. But worse, it's got a new property : it has become a grinding fluid internal to engine because of the high carbon sooth contents [:(]
xantiaBFY
My Cars:

Post by xantiaBFY »

Will definitely be doing it this weekend.Need to get some new LHM first I think.
Thanks to tomsheppard.....and AndersDK.
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

I would be interested to know how people get on with this. Please post your results if you have a mind to. Good luck!
paranoid
My Cars:

Post by paranoid »

Did it on the xant in the way described and no Lhm seemed to be drawn in to the pipe ? (marked jar) would injecting it in to the end of the tube with a syringe type thing be better?