Moderator: GiveMeABreak

lucasR
My Cars: C4 VTR 2007
C5 Break 2001
Xsara VTS 2001

Xsara VTS stereo wiring problem

Post by lucasR »

Hey Guys!

I’m facing a problem that at first seemed to be na easy one, but the more I try to sort it out, the more it gets confusing.

I bought a 2001 Xsara vts and the last owner had a Pioneer stereo fited, the stereo is fine but I wanted to replace it with the original one. The thing is that the person that installed it didn’t make a very clean job, and I can’t find a diagram with the correct order of the wires in the socket and looking at the service manual of the original stereo, they dosen’t seem to match.

From what I’ve searched, this car came with the Clarion PU2295A, but i want to fit a Yatour Bluetooth module (or any other one) but no matter what module i found, they all say that they don’t work with the 2295 model. So I went and boght a PU2380B that is compatible, and that according to the seller was in a 2001 C5, and tried to install it. At first i did work as expected, with the beeping sound and infos being displayed in the screen, but after a while it simply stoped beeping and the info was no longer being displayed in the screen, but every once and a while it appers in the screen again for a couple of seconds and than dissaper. The Lexia says that theres no comunication with the stereo, like its not there.

In the picture theres two wires put together with insulating tape, my guess is that they are messing the CAN network and causing this strange behaviour.

I need some guidance to not acidentaly set the car on fire hahahah
The stereo socket
The stereo socket
wheeler
My Cars:

Re: Xsara VTS stereo wiring problem

Post by wheeler »

Personally i would have stuck with an aftermarket unit, most modern ones will be far superior to the factory head unit.
Can you just confirm if your remote controls are on the actual steering wheel & not on a separate stalk under the wiper stalk. There are 2 different electrical systems available on this car, need to determine which to get the right diagram. 2001 will probably be the earlier system.
lucasR
C5 Break 2001
Xsara VTS 2001

Post by lucasR »

I know they are, but i really like the original look, plus I'll have the rear sensors back and wont need to make any modification in the system to be able to use the steering wheel controls. I'll jut replace the speakers, cuz they're really terrible, otherwise I think the original unit is enoght for my use. Mine has the controls on the actual steering wheel.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

Power socket
Pin 1: not used
Pin 2: VAN data wire (data signal, unable to properly check with a multimeter)
Pin 3: VAN data wire (data signal, unable to properly check with a multimeter)
Pin 4: VAN+ supply (should go live when the network is awake)
Pin 5: Aerial supply output for amplified aerial (live when the (original) radio is plugged in & switched on)
Pin 6: This can be configured as a battery live or accessories live depending on how you fit the fuse (can either be live all the time or live when you switch the key depending on how you configure the fuse)
Pin 7: Battery permanent live (live all the time)
Pin 8 : Earth
Last edited by wheeler on 03 May 2022, 19:49, edited 1 time in total.
lucasR
C5 Break 2001
Xsara VTS 2001

Post by lucasR »

Are the Pin numbers placed like in the image?
Power socket, taken from my Xsara Owner Manual.
Power socket, taken from my Xsara Owner Manual.
Being a portuguese speaker, I didn't quite get what you meant with "battery live" and "accessories". Would Batery live be 12V all the time and accesories live 12V only when I turn the key?

Also, testing the socket with a multimeter I should only get 12V in the Pins 4 (only when the network is awake),5, 6 (depending on how its configured) and 7, right?
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

lucasR wrote: 03 May 2022, 03:21 Are the Pin numbers placed like in the image?

The ISO plugs should be standardised so this will likely be correct but best to check on the plug itself
lucasR wrote: 03 May 2022, 03:21Being a portuguese speaker, I didn't quite get what you meant with "battery live" and "accessories". Would Batery live be 12V all the time and accesories live 12V only when I turn the key?
That is correct
lucasR wrote: 03 May 2022, 03:21Also, testing the socket with a multimeter I should only get 12V in the Pins 4 (only when the network is awake),5, 6 (depending on how its configured) and 7, right?
I will amend my previous post with some notes but pin 5 will only be live when the (original) radio is plugged in & switched on.
Pin 4 will have 12v when the network is awake, so when you open the door it will go live, if you sit in the car for a few minutes without doing anything this will switch back off again until you wake the network by opening the door, operating the locks or switching the ignition on etc.
you will get nothing meaningful from pins 2 & 3 with a multimeter, you can only check them properly with a scope.