3008 GPS Satellites appear then disappear? Any ideas?

This section is for General Enquiries or for Systems not Covered Above

Moderator: GiveMeABreak

Lankylad
My Cars: 2016 3008 1.6 Hdi 120 Blue EAT Automatic and love it!

3008 GPS Satellites appear then disappear? Any ideas?

Post by Lankylad »

Hi, My 2016 3008 1.6 Blue Allure 120 HDI Automatic's GPS satnav has just started playing up. The GPS shows 8 or 9 satellites and all is well...then the satellites disappear and the satnav map just floats? Any ideas anyone? I must mention that this happened the day after I had charged my battery. I have done this without any problems since covid showed its ugly head (not doing as many miles now) My radio etc is still working fine, it is just the satellite drop outs that seem to be the problem. I have also changed my aerial to see if this helped, but it has not. The car is not displaying any other issues.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: 3008 GPS Satellites appear then disappear? Any ideas?

Post by GiveMeABreak »

HI

First, make sure you follow this guide if actually removing the battery or disconnecting the battery terminal wires:

BSI Reset / Battery Disconnect / Reconnect Procedure

The reason being is that some of the vehicle systems are active when the vehicle is not running, including the head unit. Proper shutting down of these is important to ensure they are shut down and awakened properly.

Next, if you have been disconnecting the battery, bear in mind that it will take some time for the satellites to lock back on. This means going for a drive of about 10 minutes to enable the system to correctly geolocate and lock onto the satellites.

You need to drive the vehicle - idling the engine won't work, so that the GPS can get positioning info.

If you have followed the first 2 steps above, then you may have a problem. To identify if it is the unit or the aerial, you can buy a cheap GPS aerial with FAKRA connector online from the usual places, plug this into the back of the head unit, then go for a drive as described. If the satellites start to appear after the drive, then you know the original aerial has a fault. This can be water ingress at the roof aerial base that runs down and corrodes the electronics.

If the satellites still do not appear, then you may have a faulty Head Unit or an internal fault with a component.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc