Solution to Starter Motor problem

This is an ARCHIVE of common fixes. Material for this section should be submitted to an Admin or Moderator for approval then inclusion.

Moderator: RichardW

alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Solution to Starter Motor problem

Post by alan s »

Here's a copy of a posting I've put on an Australian Citroen site (mainly because BXs are still fairly *new* by our standards) but one I feel could also be of interest to any Cit & possibly some Peugeot owners. It concerns the lazy starter syndrome and a cure for it.
A while back I fitted a new intake manifold gasket to the 16V. Whislst I had the plenum off, I commented on how easy it would be to change the starter motor. Upon replacing the plenum, it was noticed how the starter motor gave all the symptoms of a flat battery/crook solenoid so I resigned myself to having to either remove the plenum or the radiator to do the $%^&*( thing!!
A few days ago, it wouldn't start a la' crook battery (which is new) but after fiddling it was noted it started. A few days later, repeat dose but this time with time on our hands, we put a multi meter on the system & bingo.....only about 9 volts getting to the starter solenoid. Fiddle with the wire & again, it goes as it should.
After having a big whings about it, #1 son when he'd finished working on another car decided to do a total circuit check & found a 5 pin Wilson plug (white tupperware) under the battery with a yellow wire leading to it that had been replaced previously and had a connector fitted to it. On closer inspection it was found that the wire was badly corroded internally and was replaced. It now feels as though it's going to spin the motor out of the frame.
I have heard about this before as being the main reason most starters on BX16V & Mi16s are replaced & auto sparkys, all embarrassed usually find this problem after they've just fitted a mega buck recon starter and do this as an "extra" so if you have a problem starting your BX/Mi16 and possibly your 405, before you lash out on an expensive starter motor and a $#!+ of a job to remove & replace, try the yellow wire on the 5 pin Wilson plug; you may save yourself a heap of $$$$$$$$$$$$s.
As a footnote:-
When this problem was there & the job was being put off for another day (you know how it is) the starter solenoid was very iffy; one day it would strike, next time it would click a couple of times & then make contact.
Since the new wire we find it is becoming less prone to this & have come to the conclusion that the low voltage & hence lazy engagement caused the sontacts inside the solenoid to arc & hence not make cleanly. With full power snapping it in, this is becoming less of a problem as the contacts 'blow the dirt' from their faces.
Hopefully, this may save someone one of those jobs you just keep putting off only to find it didn't need doing in the first place.[:I][:I]
Alan S