Airbag, Dashboard, Seat Belt & Airbag ECU Repairs

Handy links to other sites (car related) suggested by members

Moderator: RichardW

Donor 2023

Re: Airbag, Dashboard, Seat Belt & Airbag ECU Repairs

Post by 407 »

Thanks Marc abd Jim

I do agree re fix the leak.

Any known water ingress / leaking points in the sedans ?

cheers
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Only the usual blocked scuttle drains, leading to water entering the footwells.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Donor 2023

Post by 407 »

Thanks Marc

I've checked and cleaned the scuttle drains on both sides of the windscreen a few months ago and they were clean, but we have had a few downpours (eg 90 -120mm) here so maybe it just overflows.

Do the scuttle drains have some sort of rubber valve control at their exit which might block the flow of water ? My Rover 75 had a sort of long rubber valve that I cut off and helped the water flow / release of any debris / leaves etc .

The good news is the air bag light is now only coming on once in a while and clears itself within say 30 seconds, so sort of confirms I'm in the right area.

I've also ripped the yellow sponge out between the carpet and the satelitte sensor so it at least might vent that area a bit better (eg only carpet covering it now)

Ive also found a way to unclick the connector but it involves using both hands / fingers, the right hand finger one pressing in the clip release underneath whilst the left hand pulls the plug out. Not a lot of room and awkward location.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

May be a good idea to get somebody to pour some water onto the windscreen, so you can check it is evacuating correctly on both sides.

Marc
Donor 2023

Post by 407 »

Hi

After a couple of sunny 35 C plus days, seems the air bag warning light is staying off, carpets are dry and so now to check the scuttle drain properly.

I found a video on a 307 that suggests there may be two drain holes each side, a large one closer to the windscreen and a smaller one under the wipers.

Is this the same on the 407 ?
Attachments
small drain hole
small drain hole
large drain hole
large drain hole
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

You'll have to investigate as this level of detail is not shown on parts :wink:

Marc
Huskyxantia
Donor 2023

Post by Huskyxantia »

My c3 picasso had 3 inches of water under the front wiper scuttle panels ive taken the bungs out they just cause build up of grim. That sensor marc posted up what other peugeots or citroens has this , 308cc ?
Husky. :?
Donor 2023

Post by 407 »

I've pulled the scuttle panel off the 407 and below are the pics. Took around 10 mins but I had removed the wipers before and know they are likely to a problem getting off.

No real debris inside but there were a few leaves but doubt they would cause an issue.

There is only one drain hole that I could see either side.

There is a space / chanel that runs under the windscreen and appears to fall / drain towards the driver's side drain. It also has a few oval bits of what looks like insulation but does not look like it gets wet. Can't work out why they are there

Looking at it from the driver side it is sort of blocked off by a black plastic unit - not sure what it is

I ran a hose at full bore into both drains and they did not full up, so assume they are draining under the car (and not into the car ) - lots of water coming out from under the front wheels.

Any other area water might get in ?
Attachments
space under windscreen passenger side
space under windscreen passenger side
space udner widscreen driver side
space udner widscreen driver side
passenger side drain hole
passenger side drain hole
drivers side drain hole
drivers side drain hole
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Those bits at the sides are likely, 23 & 24, the bonnet side seals:
407 bonnet.png

Marc
Donor 2023

Post by 407 »

Thanks Marc

I suspect parts 23 and 24 are the foam bits of rubber that are sort of part of #21 on tip of the firewall - see pics

The empty space area I was looking at it under the windscreen and the black part looks like its part of the airconditioner air circuit / fans. It looks dry and there no telltale signs of water

I also had a hose sprayed on both the drivers side door seals etc whilst I was inside and could not see any water coming in.

Looks like I'll have to peel back the driver side footwell carpet out and see if I can see where the water is coming from.

The passenger footwell is dry so assume its not coming from for the airconditioner drain, unless there are some other pipes in that area.

Open to any ideas :)
Attachments
part 23 drivers side
part 23 drivers side
part 24 passenger side
part 24 passenger side
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Not sure if you have checked already, but another source of water ingress is the actual lower seal on the sill on the driver's side door area near where your foot would rest. Although it looks fine visually, if you pull the carpet back, you should be able to lift the seal. Pour water from the outside whilst looking and you should be able to see it coming in from there if this is the cause.

I think it can deform over the years from where your foot may knock it from time to time. I think the solution was to pad out under the lip of the seal with some sponge or similar material to make it seal again and keep the water out.

Marc
Donor 2023

Post by 407 »

Thanks Marc

I peeled the front driver carpets back and the underlay was still pretty wet so left it to dry (rained a few days ago).

It did rain overnight (not a lot) and I did notice that the the area you identified seem to be pretty wet and had a build up of grim , suggesting that water is running down the door and then maybe into the car over the furry seal lip - see pics

It maybe that the furry lip seal is working but water is entering higher up past the seal and then damming over the top of the seal and so into the car

No other obvious water drips say from the front firewall area

On your solution, I assume pad it out means add something like a self adhesive weather strip under the lip of the rubber seal eg to pad it out.

I also thought about also making a cut somewhere higher and trying to slip / push a round foam bead into it, and the resealing the cut hole with super glue.

Also maybe using the self adhesive weather strip on the door itself ((see pic with speaker) , but might need to run it almost around the whole door to avoid create a gap somewhere.

Finally, I'm wondering if the water in coming in the car door itself, maybe entering near e tip of the door and running down the inside of the seals ? I may have to pull the door panel off to see if its got any rubbish it in or if the water proofing plastic sheet has a hole or has been removed.

Any other suggestions ?
Attachments
driver side  furry seal lip wet
driver side furry seal lip wet
driver door seal matching surface is also a bit wet
driver door seal matching surface is also a bit wet
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I did forget to mention the most obvious thing, which is check the drain holes on the underside of the doors. There should be a drain hole on each door, than can get blocked, which leads to an accumulation of water, that, when the door is then closed sloshes out into the footwell. The hole should be clear and unblocked to allow water from rain and washing getting in from the window channels etc to evacuate, but as with everything, tree sap and general debris can also accumulate blocking the holes.

If you can't locate a drain hole, there should be a sill seal running along the underside that can be gently unplgged to allow any water to drain out. See picture for small lugs that pop into the holes int he door to fix it:
407 sill.png
Although a 308 SW and on the rear door with a different sill type, this is what I mean regarding the water:

Marc
Donor 2023

Post by 407 »

I spent some more time on sourcing the leak and may have found it.

I showered the drivers door window so water would get inside the door (like when it rains) and when I open the door, I found a a few drops of water above the seal on the door itself, around 10 cm from the front of the door.

Drain holes on the bottom of the door were clean and lots of water came out.

When I took the door card off, I noticed

a) it was missing one of the sealed press clips; and
b) the white water proofing foam was loose as the glue had given way.

I had a few spare sealed press clips so replaced all the bottom ones and also siliconed the white foam back to seal the door card from water

I suspect that every time it rains (eg all day/ night most times), the water ran inside the door and pooled thru the missing press clip hole onto the bottom seal, and then spilled into the car as the bottom seal was too good.

I've tested it with a hose and seems dry but we have a few days of rain planned.

Hope this helps someone (and fixes the water leak).
Attachments
white foam no longer glued to door frame
white foam no longer glued to door frame
missing sealed press clip on door card
missing sealed press clip on door card
missing press clip hole showing water marks / was wet
missing press clip hole showing water marks / was wet
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Good, that sounds like you've nailed it now.

Marc