Bargain Basement Electric

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

NewcastleFalcon

Re: Bargain Basement Electric

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Cleevely have got the Falcon Business and while not having investigated whether the nearside parking brake cable is needed I have gone ahead and just ordered both nearside and offside cables. Even if the nearside is not strictly needed at the moment, it will be shortly!

The offside one is functional and not beyond the possibility of bodging a makeshift back-plate cable entry clamp, but far better to have a new cable altogether now that one has been sourced at not too outrageous a price.

Meanwhile the BB Micra is serving the purpose I keep it going for, as well as the van-like duties, keeping us mobile while car-faffing about MOT season is upon us, and relatively simple jobs escalate into the usual PITAs and hiatus waiting for parts.

Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 08 Sep 2023, 10:32 Cleevely have got the Falcon Business and while not having investigated whether the nearside parking brake cable is needed I have gone ahead and just ordered both nearside and offside cables. Even if the nearside is not strictly needed at the moment, it will be shortly!
Wise move by the Falcon there...the nearside is strictly needed right now. Exactly the same as the offside, perfectly serviceable cable seized rock solid to the backplate aluminium cable guide with with corrosion.

Cleevely have processed the order, so a bit of a break until the package arrives.

Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Rp0thejester
Donor 2024

Post by Rp0thejester »

:rofl2: :rofl2: replying to your own posts??? Where's that white van with the straight jacket....
Ryan

'99 Xsara 1.6 X (Red) with Sunkissed bonnet. T59 SBX
'54 Astra Estate 1.7DTI (Artic White)
'06 C8 2.2Hdi Exclusive (Aster Grey)

Champion of Where's CitroJim :-({|=
Yes I ask the stupid questions, because normally it is that simple.
NewcastleFalcon

Who cares not me! If a tale needs telling it's told and if I am the only person who extracts any value out of it so be it!
If you relied on waiting for responses very little would ever get posted on the forum. Active participants are few and far between.

Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Rp0thejester
Donor 2024

Post by Rp0thejester »

I was once told that talking to yourself means your crazy! I then learned that talking to yourself is a way of remembering something, I suppose this is the next step
Ryan

NewcastleFalcon

Note to self Handbrake Cables arrive Monday :-D

Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Rp0thejester
Donor 2024

Post by Rp0thejester »

:-D
Ryan

bobins
Donor 2023

Post by bobins »

Rp0thejester wrote: 08 Sep 2023, 20:11 :rofl2: :rofl2: replying to your own posts??? Where's that white van with the straight jacket....
The man with the white van will be delayed for a few hours as it's a battery powered van and he's run out of charge and he can't find a working charger :lol:
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

bobins wrote: 08 Sep 2023, 21:33
Rp0thejester wrote: 08 Sep 2023, 20:11 :rofl2: :rofl2: replying to your own posts??? Where's that white van with the straight jacket....
The man with the white van will be delayed for a few hours as it's a battery powered van and he's run out of charge and he can't find a working charger :lol:

Also, he has to make a detour to Paggers on his way :wink: :lol:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Rp0thejester wrote: 08 Sep 2023, 20:57 I was once told that talking to yourself means your crazy! I then learned that talking to yourself is a way of remembering something, I suppose this is the next step
I was told that quite often talking to yourself was the only way to have an intelligent conversation in some places!
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
NewcastleFalcon

The parking brake replacement job-Nissan Leaf The start
Steveev My Nissan Leaf https://www.speakev.com/threads/nissan- ... st-3327895

The "interior disassembly" amounts to pulling up on the rear seat squab. The rear seat squab just requires a decent forceful yank upwards, not attached by any screws front or back, and removal reveals this picture...

Undo four bolts to remove the cover plate under which is the handbrake cable joint between the single cable to the front and the two rears - one to each wheel.

Gloucestershire's finest, Cleevely Electric Vehicles came up with the goods, as anticipated.

Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Under the car there are a couple of cable mounting points...here's the first and an associated rhetorical question. "What happens when a 10mm head, small diameter shank, threaded bolt, exposed to all sorts of corrosive salt muck and damp, which has never been undone for 8 years is attempted to be undone :?: "
Falcon Original<br />Now where is my Drill?
Falcon Original
Now where is my Drill?
Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Bargain Basement Electric

How many drill bits capable of drilling out that bolt were in the Falcon toolbox...none. Time to bother the agricultural engineering fraternity with my usual MOT time trivial requests and emerged with a single hacksaw blade, a single drill, two bolts and two self locking nuts to match, for under £5.

Job done
Falcon Original<br />suitable hole made where sheared bolt was
Falcon Original
suitable hole made where sheared bolt was
The other mounting is in one of those awkward places not a comfortable arms reach towards the centre of the car and a lot of stuff conspiring to be in the way, and considerably rusted up but this time it was a 13mm nut on a stud and came undone OK.

Nearside Cable is out....exactly the same problem as the other side, seized in the corrosion of the aluminium cable entry bracket.
Falcon Original<br />Old Nearside Brake Cable Removed
Falcon Original
Old Nearside Brake Cable Removed
That's it for today. Took a few pics of the shoes/spring/adjuster for reference, but having done the other side, I pretty much know where they go.

Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Excellent work Neil :D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

Thanks Jim. Just the normal MOT time "no more than an hour long job", dragging on for days Jim! :-D Very pleased to have the BB Micra keeping us mobile while the faffing about is going on. Even did a longish trip to Eyemouth, as you will have seen from a few pics with not too great a thirst for the copious on-board water top up supplies for the leaking radiator on what was the hottest day of the year.

Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey