Juddering on take off

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Oletimer
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2009 '59 C4 GP 1.6 VTR+
EX - 2007 C4 Grand Picasso 2.0L HDi
EX - 2004 Multipla JTD ELX (x2)
2009 '59 Piaggio MP3 250 (summer love)

Juddering on take off

Post by Oletimer »

Just got a 2007 C4 Grand Picasso 2.0L HDi. (Auto/Manual)
It's in not bad condition and drives really well. (You get the feeling there's a 'but' in there somewhere?)
Yeah, there's a couple of buts:
1, From a standing start there's a judder for a few seconds then it smooths out and all is fine, no noises, nothing...
- if you increase the revs a bit it doesn't judder from a dead start, it just takes off (and I mean quick). Open to suggestions...

2, On the central console the miles before refuel and mpg and end journey operate, but the MPG and distance to end doesn't show any readings? Any suggestions...

3, The dashboard gloveboxs are crap, what can be done to sort them out - or is it only renew?

4, There's a plastic trim on the back that covers the number plate lights, it's been glued before but it's falling off again - any suggestions (the new bit is £140)

5, I think it needs tracking, it's veering to the left. It's only just gone thru an mot too?

Any suggestions gratefully received

George
If it ain't broke - don't fix it! :help2:
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Re: Juddering on take off

Post by RichardW »

Moved to Citroen....
Richard W
dave_xsara
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: Xsara 2.0HDi 90

Post by dave_xsara »

1. Gearbox mount?
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

Anyway, I'm thinking this is an EGS box? I would say:

1. Might just need the clutch adjustment setting - needs a Lexia really, but you can do something by pulling away hard a few times from a standstill to let it auto calibrate. If not, then new clutch time....
2. Don't know, can you post a pic - you have to manually enter the miles to end of journey. Which MPG readout is not working?
3. I suspect renew only - what do you mean by crap, they were always a bit flimsy! Should be able to get some from a lower mileage scrapper
4. This got broken on ours, not sure how, suspect it got reversed into. I glued it, but as it is used to lift the tailgate it's easily broken, again I suspect a scrapper is best option - it's not too hard to remove.
5. Could be - tracking not checked at MOT - it will pass as long as tyre wear is OK.
Last edited by xantia_v6 on 22 Oct 2019, 14:19, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Deleted stuff related to a completely different topic
Richard W
Oletimer
(Donor 2022)

Post by Oletimer »

Thank you for those helpful replies:
I'm still in the 'buyers option' stage and was wondering if it's worth taking on, tho to be honest I think he's asking too much for it at 1500.
What's a good guess at it's sale value?
Done about 120k, general condition is ok, it does drive nice with no surprises, it's just had a suspension overall with new pump etc. MOT 02/10/2020
All the electrics work as they should.
Would you pay 1500 for it or what would be your offer?
Cheers
George
admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by admiral51 »

2. if like my C4 2005 there is a push switch on the end of the wiper stalk which will switch between modes, date/trip etc
5. Soft tyre maybe ?
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

If it has an EGS transmission, your best move by far is to walk away. There are much more enjoyable ways to throw good money after bad.
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

^^^^

Wise words ! :)
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
Omer40
My Cars: 3008 and 208

Post by Omer40 »

I had the same issue, juddering, new clutch sorted it out. Good luck.
Oletimer
(Donor 2022)

Post by Oletimer »

Thanks for the input, I am very grateful of any input from your experiences re: Citroen C4's (my last Citroen was a P reg Xantia - which was a lovely car)
The learning continues...
I've been driving it a bit more and have got 'used' to how it drives, so much so, that the judder isn't as bad as first appears...
Initially I would pull away very gently, (sort of 'ghosting' away - the way you'd expect a Rolls to do) the car would move forward a little then seem to not drive, followed by drive, until the revs increased a little when it would drive smoothly. Once driving it would be beautifully smooth.
I played around with take off revs and found that it would drive smoothly from a start if I gave it a few extra revs - not gunning it, just a small increase.
I was told by a mechanic friend to change the gearbox oil because he thought the level might be low.
Otherwise I'm chuffed with comfort etc, it really is a nice drive - gear changes could be a fraction earlier but I'm not sure what the parameters are, I would prefer changes at about 2k but maybe that's a little low (?)
Trip-tronic works beautifully, it's certainly faster than me but I'm an ole codger so maybe that don't count. :rofl2:
I've noticed the 'miles to refuel' reading is a bit bizarre: I put £25 in and that brought it to the half tank mark, readout: 264 miles to refuel. Went about my business and 26 miles later the readout was down to 224.
Do I need to buy the man in the tank a new calculator or is this normal for French mathematics? :?
I was led to believe it does approx 600 miles on a tank, is this about right or was this 'salesman' talk?
It's going to Castra Verde soon and an idea of expected economy would help. (My old Fiat Multipla would normal manage a very reasonable 50mpg on the same trip)
I've got to replace the glove box lids - they're looking sun burnt and twisted.
I need a replacement strip for the back door, this ones been beaten up, where is a decent supplier to be found?
I think that's enough to be getting on with, any suggestions or leads to part suppliers would be helpful
Thanks in advance
George
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

Miles to refuel works on the average of the last few miles consumption, so if you added fuel after a long run with good economy, then did a load of town driving the range would go down.

Long range economy will depend on how you drive - if you take it easy, then you might get towards upper 40s. Tank on these is only about 50l, so I would expect 500 miles to a tank max.

I was going to say you could buy new glove box lids, but they are £300 EACH :twisted: . So perhaps not :rofl2:

I would look on e-bay for one the right colour that is getting broken, then get the lids and the boot strip off that.
Richard W
Oletimer
(Donor 2022)

Post by Oletimer »

Richard W:
Thank you for your input - not having owned a Citroen for a long time I'm out of touch with their foibles.
Please forgive me if I bend your lug-holes when any surprises crop up or if I'm in the 's**t-hits-fan' department.
I do all my own spanner bending and can usually make it work - one way or another.
When faced with a 'new' breed and 'new' problems help is a god send and I will always be grateful for experienced input.

Would you kind enough to explain the clutch adjust routine please? What is a Lexia?

You're right about that strip not being hard to remove - look at it and it falls off - the only things holding it on are those 2 white plastic pins on the ends,
all the square bits seem to be broken.
I will take onboard your remarks and say a very big thank you.
Cheers
George
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

The Lexia/Diagbox equipment are used to diagnose and resolve faults in the PSA range of vehicles. As the PSA group are French they are a law unto themselves! Normal code readers cannot understand them! You need a reasonable laptop (running a 32bit O/S, such as Windows XP or Windows 7), and the Lexia equipment. If you decide to get it PLEASE make certain to get one that has the full opto-chipset (some of the cheaper clones don't and cannot work with cars such as the C5). There is a company called Easy Diagnostics who do a very good version with the most current version of the software recommended, but it is not cheap (around £150, but use it a few times and you will save yourself money, as a dealership may charge £50 per session).

https://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/ ... hp?t=60113
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

Assuming the trim strip is item 12 in this diag, then it's supposed to be held on with 6 bolts!!
C4reardoor.JPG
There's loads up for breaking on e-bay in different colours - find one that's the right colour and get the strip off it.
Richard W
Oletimer
(Donor 2022)

Post by Oletimer »

Thanks Richard, that's exactly what it is (12) it doesn't look like they wasted too much plastic on the fittings. May I ask: is there a download for a decent workshop manual for the C4? I do like to work from a decent manual.
Dunno if I can stretch to a diagnostics kit yet, I'll put it on me wish list tho.
George