Citroen Owner Handbooks

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Citroen Owner Handbooks

Post by GiveMeABreak » 13 Aug 2019, 19:34

If you don't have your Citroen owner's manual, you can view most of them online or in most cases download a copy as a PDF, or in some cases just the relevant section required.

Not all early models are included.
  • Just follow the link, select your preferred language from the top right corner
  • Then select the model
  • Now select the car image and finally the build date of your vehicle
These are searchable for content, and if they are available as a download, there should be a PDF icon shown. Click on this and it will either give you the option to save the file, or will open in a browser window. Once the file has loaded, you can save the file as a PDF to a location of your choice.

Bear in mind some of these can be 400+ pages for some newer models with loads of options, so may take a little while to download for some users depending on your broadband speed.

Citroen Owner Handbooks Link

wurlycorner

Re: Citroen Owner Handbooks

Post by wurlycorner » 28 Aug 2019, 09:35

Yep I've looked at this before.
Useful, but unfortunately for post 2007 cars only

ksanturion10

Post by ksanturion10 » 02 Oct 2019, 21:07

Have one for S1 Xantia in Italian with some pages torn away, unfortunately the ones describing my own instrument panel lights configuration ;)

Stickyfinger
Donor 2016

Post by Stickyfinger » 24 Oct 2019, 09:33

ksanturion10 wrote:
02 Oct 2019, 21:07
Have one for S1 Xantia in Italian with some pages torn away, unfortunately the ones describing my own instrument panel lights configuration ;)
I think you will find all (most) the S1 Xantia books being posted to the site shortly......electrical/mechanical etc

white exec
Moderating Team

Post by white exec » 24 Oct 2019, 10:44

We are able to place links to Owners' Handbooks, and the Citroen mechanics' workshop booklets, on the site, because they are openly available from the Servicebox site. The links to those are already there, and are very popular.

However, when it comes to the full mechanical and electrical wiring service documents, the thousands of pages are PSA copyright, and it would not be legal for us to post or enable download/copying of these substantially or in full. We are able, though, under "fair dealing" to post small numbers of pages, in order to answer individual queries. We've been able to build up a useful - but not complete - library of technical documentation, and will continue to quote from this. S2 and now S1 Xantia electrical wiring diagrams are being currently added.

Stickyfinger
Donor 2016

Post by Stickyfinger » 24 Oct 2019, 11:48

Are "service books" covered/exempt from by copywrite/fair-use ?

GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak » 24 Oct 2019, 12:01

I suspect not in their entirety - whereas extracts may be used in context of a post. In the case of the older ones made publicly available by PSA already, we have just made these more accessible - but they do not include wiring schematics.

white exec
Moderating Team

Post by white exec » 24 Oct 2019, 12:46

Any published or printed work is automatically covered by several copyrights (those of the author, the publisher, the printed edition, maybe content (eg photographs, drawings...)). This applies not just to printed paper editions, but to other media too (web, film, microfilm, audio, video...) - i.e. almost any published work.

Copyright protection normally prohibits substantial or total copying or reproduction (by any means), re-publishing, or broadcasting, without the written consent of (all of the) copyright owners. However, under the UK Copyright Act 1956 (and others) and much international law, copying of small portions of a work is commonly permitted, for personal/private/individual use (including for research or study purposes). This limited use is known as "fair dealing".

It is under the fair dealing terms that we are able to quote individual pages of copyrighted repair manuals, but are unable legally to reproduce or host whole sections of published works.

It is not necessary for a statement of copyright to appear in the work itself.

Stickyfinger
Donor 2016

Post by Stickyfinger » 24 Oct 2019, 13:12

Just checked, lobbing does seem to have watered the availability........it could be argued that FCF is a "professional in the trade" (a battle for others I expect)

https://theecologist.org/2019/jan/21/ri ... ned-eu-law

ksanturion10

Post by ksanturion10 » 26 Oct 2019, 22:32

Stickyfinger wrote:
24 Oct 2019, 09:33
ksanturion10 wrote:
02 Oct 2019, 21:07
I think you will find all (most) the S1 Xantia books being posted to the site shortly......electrical/mechanical etc
That would be amazing! Now I'm using diagrams, which are either for other models or don't have naming and can not be sure if they correspond exactly to my car wiring. Looking forward to this upload :)

GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak » 26 Oct 2019, 23:12

They won’t be uploaded en mass

We know you have a series 1 and that you want the instrument display diagram.

If you haven’t already, post your VIN here se we can identify the build date code and other information that can assist us in extracting the correct one..

Once we have this we will post it here in this thread as soon as they are ready.

ksanturion10

Post by ksanturion10 » 28 Oct 2019, 00:39

Hey, thanks for the proposal, but I actually already made some translations from my Italian Owner's Handbook and understood some things, that where very helpfull. I didn't know, that all major lights should show on ign-on and after the start they should went off if everything is OK ;). That is why I also don't need the instrument panel diagram either, because I already have removed it and found, that the LED lights can serve several functions :-D (already know, to which lights I have to keep an eye on). I have two resistors around the battery warning lignt, which had made some burns over the PCB, because of bad solder joints. I resoldered them, but I think they should be replaced, because when I touched them they seemed to start desintegrating!?
Generally, I tend not to share any personal information as the VIN can be related to my personal ID or other personal information. Hope, the VIN is not a mandatory prerequisit for a future wiring diagrams requests :).
Actually it would be great to share an Owner's Handbook in English (mine is called "Citroen Xantia - uso e manutenzione), because mine is in Italian and I have to use translation sites, but generally I have already thinkered with most of the important systems in this car, so I kind of know already, what is where and what it does.

BR
Martin

white exec
Moderating Team

Post by white exec » 28 Oct 2019, 09:19

Hi Martin,

I'm sure we can help here.

What is your preferred language for Citroen documentation? You say you are having to translate from the Italian, but not what into.

Owners' Handbooks
Citroen have on their website downloadable Handbooks, but not for Xantia or anything older.
If you could also post the manufacturing year of your car, it is possible that someone here would have the same, and would make a copy for you. Owners' Handbooks were constantly updated, so you need to get the Year about right.

Mechanics' workshop handbooks
Also available are workshop repair booklets, containing detailed information on repair procedures and full tech spec of replacement parts (including the all-important suspension spheres).
These booklets are available in more than a dozen languages. We host English language versions on the site, but can get hold of others if needed.

Identifying your vehicle

A huge number of changes were made to the build details of the cars during their production life. This is especially so when it comes to Electrical Wiring circuitry and components.

There are two ways we (and your Parts counter) can accurately identify what's on your car:
- model, year, engine type, gearbox type, equipment, and the car's RP number
That's a lot of info to provide, and still leaves room for mistakes, not least for LHD/RHD variations
- VIN number Short and sweet, this allows us (and Parts) to identify everything about the vehicle as it left the factory. We have gone to great lengths to ensure that VIN numbers posted are not publicly visible, but can only be seen by half-a-dozen Forum staff.

For Xantia, and for Electrical Wiring, the situation is particularly complex, and we don't want to waste anyone's time in posting incorrect information. If needs be, you can always send your VIN to one of the team via Personal Message (PM), if that helps.

xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team

Post by xantia_v6 » 28 Oct 2019, 13:33

We don't currently have access to a complete set of diagrams for LHD Xantias, but can usually find something that is close.

ksanturion10

Post by ksanturion10 » 03 Nov 2019, 00:47

Hey, really appreciate your intension to help!
About the "User manual", an English version for X1 (LHD) would be perfect :).
Generally, what I do is to check the part numbers over a given part and look for its aftermarket equivalent variant. I already bought and the rear spheres thanks to your S2 free service manual and my strong eyesite :D. Also recently found out, that one of the ECU wiring diagrams, I've downloaded from the forum, matches exactly to my engine ECU wiring, which is great!
Ofcource, when there is particular need for the VIN, I will probably provide it, but for now I think everything is going OK without it 8-) .
I have the feeling, that I'm spamming the whole thread :mrgreen: .

P.S.: it would be really of great help if someone can give suggestions regarding this and this threads :roll:

Doh, forgot to say thanks - Jessie Ware - Wildest Moments (Acoustic) :-D

BR
Martin