MyWay (RNEG) Firmware Upgrade Procedure

This unit is the MyWay system, also referred to as RNEG, made by Harman Becker.
Main Features: Also referred to as RNEG, the MyWay colour satellite navigation system, has SD card, integrated European mapping, live trafic information, voice guidance and graphics in 2D or aerial perspective & it features a Bluetooth® system (Bluetooth phone compatibility only - no Bluetooth Audio Streaming).

Moderator: GiveMeABreak

GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

MyWay (RNEG) Firmware Upgrade Procedure

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I thought I'd do a Sticky on how to upgrade the MyWay Firmware as this keeps cropping up. Note this is to update the Firmware (System Software) only which is freely released to improve features and fix post-release bugs in the hardware. This does not cover Navigation Maps.

Like anything software-related, if you choose to follow the following guidance, you do so at your own risk. Firmware updates generally go well, but there can be unexpected problems resulting from things such as an incompatible SD card, a wrongly formatted SD card, an SD card that still has other files or folders on it not related to the upgrade (always format the SD card first); a corrupt firmware file, firmware files not copied across properly or even a faulty Head Unit, which a firmware upgrade may not fix and may leave it in a worse state.

Although it is possible to update the firmware on this system directly to the latest version, if you have an early firmware version, some people prefer to update one revision at a time. This allows them to check that the upgrade worked ok before going on with the next. If there should be an issue with one particular update, then having a later one to apply may resolve any issues.

First of all be prepared:
You need time: at least 30 mins for the update process from when it starts to update.
Engine Running: You MUST leave the car running - ignition on is not enough as if the car goes into economy mode it may leave the unit in an inoperable condition.
You will need a blank SD card: A SDHC Class 10 (4 or 8 Gb Minimum) will be fine - but nothing too fast and fancy as you don't want compatibility issues.
Don't use your Navigation SD card to perform the firmware updates! Some later map updates are protected in such a way that prevent the files from working if they are moved from the SD card and copied back later. SD Cards are cheap these days, don't be tight!
You will need an unzipping / archiving programme that works with RAR files: - I recommend the Open Source '7Zip' software from here:
7 Zip Org. 7-Zip is free to use and is a great utility. Select the right version for your system, download and install.
  1. Put the SD card into your PC. When the PC recognises the SD card it will assign a drive letter. Right Click the Drive letter and choose 'Format'. Make sure you select the FAT32 File System. Make a note of the Drive letter assigned to the SD Card.
    Format SD.PNG
  2. Create a new folder on your PC (not the SD Card) and copy the relevant firmware file into the new folder you just made.
  3. Right Click on the firmware archive. There should be a 7-zip menu, next click '7-Zip' and another menu will drop out (see picture). Choose 'Extract Files'
    (Click to zoom image)
    7 Zip.PNG
  4. In the next box, choose the Letter assigned to the SD card earlier, or browse and select the drive letter. Then choose OK.
    7 Zip Extract.PNG
  5. When complete, there will be a file called 'HBUPDATE.DEF' and a folder called 'HEADUNIT' with a lot of folders and files inside. There shouldn't be anything else in the root of the SD card.
    RNEG Firmware Update.PNG
  6. Next go to the car, insert the SD card and start the car.
  7. The system should detect the firmware update and ask you if you want to proceed.
  8. Follow the instructions and do not fiddle with the buttons or the Head Unit whilst the update is in progress, unless responding to instructions.
  9. If all is successful the unit may restart and you should have the new firmware installed.
If all is well, you can repeat the procedure for the next update.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc