Navidrive 3D

This unit is the NG4 system, made by Harman Becker.
Main Features: DVD, Voice Commands, HighRes Display, 3D Mapping, Bluetooth Hands Free, Independent Phone with MDS Module, SD Card, USB, Jukebox.

Moderator: GiveMeABreak

hoggers
My Cars: C5 Exclusive

Navidrive 3D

Post by hoggers »

Hi there

I've just bought a 2010 C5 Exclusive and I have a problem with the SAT NAV. It works but does not show the correct location. The recption says 'poor' and satalites say 0 which i'm guessing has something to do with the antenna.

Anyone had a similar issue that can help resolve it? VIN is VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Thanks
Ben
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: Navidrive 3D

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Ben, in your introduction I did suggest you post up your VIN number as this will help identify the exact model and navigation system in your car. There is Navidrive system and there is a Navidrive 3D system, both completely different units. Lack of visible satellites can be attributed to severalthings. It could be a chip within the head unit itself or it could be the antenna.

What version of firmware is the unit and what map version do you have?
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
hoggers

Post by hoggers »

GiveMeABreak wrote:Ben, in your introduction I did suggest you post up your VIN number as this will help identify the exact model and navigation system in your car. There is Navidrive system and there is a Navidrive 3D system, both completely different units. Lack of visible satellites can be attributed to severalthings. It could be a chip within the head unit itself or it could be the antenna.

What version of firmware is the unit and what map version do you have?

I've added the VIN number. I couldn't do it when you said because the post was still being approved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hoggers

Post by hoggers »

How do I find out what map version I have?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Ok, so Navidrive 3D confirmed. That photo shows the firmware version you have and is probably one of the earliest versions there is - we are now on N42.03C which is the latest one. To find your map version, you just need to hold down the SETUP button with a long press until you get the extended menu. You should be able to scroll down to get the map version.

I have a question - do you have the original aerial on the roof? It should be the small black one as in this picture (a bit hard to see I know)
C5 Aerial.jpg

Marc
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

The next thing I would suggest is updating the firmware. I can send you a link for this if you need it.
Next, I would do the obvious things and check the rear of the Head Unit to ensure that the antenna leads and connectors are securely in place. You'll need a set of these keys:
NG4 Head Unit Keys
for the Navidrive 3D unit. Carefully insert and slide out - it comes out quite easily, then you can see if there are any loose connections.

This will be the first Nav 3D unit I've heard of to date that has the no satellites visible issue - the only one previous was on the Mark II C5 with the RT3 Navidrive system and that was a Magneti Marelli unit.

Marc
hoggers

Post by hoggers »

GiveMeABreak wrote:Ok, so Navidrive 3D confirmed. That photo shows the firmware version you have and is probably one of the earliest versions there is - we are now on N42.03C which is the latest one. To find your map version, you just need to hold down the SETUP button with a long press until you get the extended menu. You should be able to scroll down to get the map version.

I have a question - do you have the original aerial on the roof? It should be the small black one as in this picture (a bit hard to see I know)
C5 Aerial.jpg
Yes, i think its the original aerial and map
hoggers

Post by hoggers »

GiveMeABreak wrote:The next thing I would suggest is updating the firmware. I can send you a link for this if you need it.
Next, I would do the obvious things and check the rear of the Head Unit to ensure that the antenna leads and connectors are securely in place. You'll need a set of these keys:
NG4 Head Unit Keys
for the Navidrive 3D unit. Carefully insert and slide out - it comes out quite easily, then you can see if there are any loose connections.

This will be the first Nav 3D unit I've heard of to date that has the no satellites visible issue - the only one previous was on the Mark II C5 with the RT3 Navidrive system and that was a Magneti Marelli unit.
if you could send the link that would be great and much appreciated. A bit worried that this is the first one you've heard of not to have any satellites visable #-o
hoggers

Post by hoggers »

GiveMeABreak wrote:The next thing I would suggest is updating the firmware. I can send you a link for this if you need it.
NG4 Head Unit Keys

1.png
2.png
3.png
4.png
Last edited by GiveMeABreak on 18 Jan 2017, 22:03, edited 1 time in total.
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

I've heard of an early X7 with trouble seeing satellites before - the easiest cure was to fit a small self adhesive GPS antenna on the inside of the windscreen. Best wait 'til Marc does a bit more in depth analysis before you fear the worst though ! :)
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Yes, the newer Harman Becker ND4 is a premium system, so would expect it to be relatively reliable! :-D
First, we'll do the firmware update. I suspect this won't fix the issue - but you should have the latest version as it does sort out some bugs with the telephone and update the bluetooth system too.

You'll need a USB flash drive, formatted with the FAT32 file system (don't use NTFS). When you get the file, Extract the contents directly to the USB drive. There should be a single folder called HEADUNIT and one other file in the route HBUPDATE.DEF.

Switch engine on, switch to Navigation Mode, open Centre Console and then open the USB port about halfway down - there's a cap that covers the port. Put the USB in and wait - the system should detect the firmware automatically and ask you to update. Just follow the instructions on screen. It will restart and that will be the firmware updated.

Once you have checked the rear of the Head Unit, and if that is OK, I would suspect the roof aerial. This is an amplified unit and I've known a few Peugeot owners with this system that had the same problem and a replacement aerial solved the problem.

I assume you don't have a dash cam that has wiring anywhere near the rear headlining?

Marc
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

bobins wrote:I've heard of an early X7 with trouble seeing satellites before - the easiest cure was to fit a small self adhesive GPS antenna on the inside of the windscreen. Best wait 'til Marc does a bit more in depth analysis before you fear the worst though ! :)
Thanks Bobbins :wink: - but this system relies on a specific aerial that has to be used for the built-in GSM telephone, the Dual Radio Tuners and the GPS aerial - they are all incorporated into the same antenna, so a separate GPS antenna won't work with the NG4.

Marc
hoggers

Post by hoggers »

GiveMeABreak wrote:Yes, the newer Harman Becker ND4 is a premium system, so would expect it to be relatively reliable! :-D
First, we'll do the firmware update. I suspect this won't fix the issue - but you should have the latest version as it does sort out some bugs with the telephone and update the bluetooth system too.

You'll need a USB flash drive, formatted with the FAT32 file system (don't use NTFS). When you get the file, Extract the contents directly to the USB drive. There should be a single folder called HEADUNIT and one other file in the route HBUPDATE.DEF.

Switch engine on, switch to Navigation Mode, open Centre Console and then open the USB port about halfway down - there's a cap that covers the port. Put the USB in and wait - the system should detect the firmware automatically and ask you to update. Just follow the instructions on screen. It will restart and that will be the firmware updated.

Once you have checked the rear of the Head Unit, and if that is OK, I would suspect the roof aerial. This is an amplified unit and I've known a few Peugeot owners with this system that had the same problem and a replacement aerial solved the problem.

I assume you don't have a dash cam that has wiring anywhere near the rear headlining?
Have just ordered those keys, should arrive Monday.

No dashcam. I've only had the car a couple of weeks. I do know that it's a CAT D that had side impact damage back in 2012 and I wouldn't be surprised if it damaged the aerial in the process. I don't know if the sat nav was working for the chap I bought it off so can't rule it out one way or another.

Il try the update though once you send the link. Do you need my email or will you message me?

hoggers

Post by hoggers »

How much is a new aerial? [emoji51]

GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Could of had a bit of a whack then! There's a lot of kit in these head units - but fingers crossed. I've just finished editing your images Ben as they were a little on the big size! I'll send you the link via your registered email - don't type it here (spam control) I have it already. :wink:

Marc