A word of warning to hydraulic Cit drivers.

This is an ARCHIVE of common fixes. Material for this section should be submitted to an Admin or Moderator for approval then inclusion.

Moderator: RichardW

alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

A word of warning to hydraulic Cit drivers.

Post by alan s »

Below is a copy of a posting from one of our members "LHMleak" about an incident that happened to him recently in his <b>Xantia with anti-sink.</b>
As a BX & CX driver, I would never have thought of this just as he didn't; red light comes on indicating low LHM, "not far to go, car stays up so it should still have brakes & steering" is exactly what I would have thought, which he did.
Here's his story.
"lhm_leak
Senior Member (Over 50 posts)
United Kingdom
53 Posts
Posted - 08 Jan 2004 : 21:03:41
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's my own fault, really. I should have detoured to the nearest LHM stockist this morning when the STOP light came on, but I honestly thought the car would make it back home to my own supply!
There's been a small leak at the low pressure side of the pump for a few months now, so I'm losing some fluid anyway, and it's checked and topped up regularly. I can only guess that the leak's got worse recently, and I'm going to have to locate and fix it. That's not the immediate problem. This is.
During the drive home, I lost power steering. I'd half expected this to happen anyway, I'd had the same experience with a BX half a lifetime ago. I was expecting the suspension to go next, so I didn't get worried - until I touched the brakes and found I didn't have any... got a bit hairy, I can tell you. I worked out the explanation for myself, along with a few choice curses - oh well, at least I know my car's anti-sink system is working!
Very slowly drove to the nearest place to get some LHM. Filled the tank with about 3 litres of the stuff. The STOP light went out, and as I reversed out of the parking space I could feel the steering assistance was back. So were the main brakes.
Until I turned the wheel to go round the corner, that is. STOP light back on, no PAS. Brakes still working, but they too failed again after a while, suggesting that I was using residual pressure from the accumulator sphere.
Question - is this problem related to the possible need to prime the HP pump once it's run dry? I don't recall having to do this on my BX back in '86. And as for the rest of the system - will I have to bleed the brakes/steering? Any special procedures or gotchas?
Any advice will be gratefully received! Looks like I'm driving a Vauxhall tomorrow...
Stu."
So the moral of the story is; if your car has anti-sink & the warning light comes on, don't take it for granted that you are going to have brakes & steering until the suspnsion drops, coz you ain't.
Stop ASAP & get the problem attended to.
Alan S