C5 Mk3 Replacement CANBUS LED DRL's

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

bigblackfalco
My Cars: Citroen C5 X7 2.0 HDI 2009 230K Miles (current), Citroen Xantia Estate 1.9 TD 1996 SX, Citroen ZX 1.9 TD 1995, Peugeot 604 2.7 V6 STI 1983 (past).

C5 Mk3 Replacement CANBUS LED DRL's

Post by bigblackfalco »

Don't know if anyone's found or posted info about these units before:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/310873482871? ... EBIDX%3AIT" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They are a plasma filled LED unit which is CANBUS friendly. Build quality is excellent. Only just fitted, so can't comment on longevity etc.
They are available in 2 sizes. Check the diameter in the original bulb holder to see if it's 13mm or 17mm. The link for the 17mm unit is in the ebay ad I have posted.
They seem very bright!
Last edited by bigblackfalco on 23 Oct 2014, 18:57, edited 1 time in total.
58 plate (2009) C5 Tourer 2.0 HDi VTR+
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Re: C5 Mk3 Replacement CANBUS LED DRL's

Post by myglaren »

There's a guide to posting photo's here.
vborovic
Locked user account
My Cars: A used Citroen

Post by vborovic »

"Seem" bright doesn't cut it ... unless the output light is more than 700-800 lm (lux), they defeat the purpose ... I know, I've tested at least 8 different G4 12V SMD LED models (that fit the required dimensions for the bulb to fit in the headlamp space), the current ones are still not something I'm satisfied with (580 lm light output, pure white) ...
Last edited by vborovic on 23 Oct 2014, 19:16, edited 1 time in total.
bigblackfalco
My Cars: Citroen C5 X7 2.0 HDI 2009 230K Miles (current), Citroen Xantia Estate 1.9 TD 1996 SX, Citroen ZX 1.9 TD 1995, Peugeot 604 2.7 V6 STI 1983 (past).

Post by bigblackfalco »

vborovic wrote:"Seem" bright doesn't cut it ... unless the output light is more than 700-800 lm (lux), they defeat the purpose ... I know, I've tested at least 8 different G4 12V SMD LED models (that cit the required dimensions for the bulb to fit in the headlamp space), the current ones are still not something I'm satisfied with (580 lm light output, pure white) ...
They are plenty bright for DRLs.
If you want brighter put your hi beam headlights on to blind everyone ;)
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

From the picture, the LED in the end seems to have a lens over it which will concentrate the light output from that LED into a tight bright beam pointing forward. If you look at them off angle (e.g. at 45 degrees) are they still as bright? Did you try comparing them at a few different angles with the original incandescent bulb?

My experience of aftermarket car LED bulbs is that the majority are not bright enough and of the remainder that are bright enough, they don't last very long.
Xantippa
My Cars: Now:
C5 X7 HDi 240 Exclusive Tourer
ZOE 22kwh Intense
Before:
C4 1,6 Coupe Automatic
C5 X7 HDi136 Exclusive Sedan A
Xantia HDi110 Berline
Xantia 1,8SX Berline

Post by Xantippa »

C5 X7 doesn't have warning system for broken bulbs, so any physically compatible led bulb goes fine, no need for "canbus compatible". I had pair similar to those, only without that beam on the tip, and they broke in a couple of months, and weren't bright enough. That bright led on the tip has no use on C5, because it's aimed upwards.
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Xantippa wrote:C5 X7 doesn't have warning system for broken bulbs, so any physically compatible led bulb goes fine, no need for "canbus compatible".
I tried these led bulbs in my C5 X7 and they caused the dash sidelights warning lamp to repeatedly flash on and off, swapping the polarity on the bulbs made no difference.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
Xantippa
My Cars: Now:
C5 X7 HDi 240 Exclusive Tourer
ZOE 22kwh Intense
Before:
C4 1,6 Coupe Automatic
C5 X7 HDi136 Exclusive Sedan A
Xantia HDi110 Berline
Xantia 1,8SX Berline

Post by Xantippa »

Strange. I've tested at least two differend led's for DRL without any problems. Neither of them were advertised as canbus compatible. And my C5 doesn't tell me if bulb is broken.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Rather expensive for something that's not required, unnecessary, not desired and downright dangerous :evil:

In my opinion DRLs should be banned. I find them all dazzling, glaring, blinding, distracting and dangerous because they often mask front indicators and dazzle oncoming drivers.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I too find them irritating. Particularly when they seem to have DRLs, sidelights, headlights and foglights on all at the same time.
The SAAB/Volvo system of way back always seemed to me to be quite adequate.
Tail lights should also be lit IMO.
Lots of drivers seem to rely on the DRLs even in conditions of poor light and forget that the car is in darkness at the rear.
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

CitroJim wrote:Rather expensive for something that's not required, unnecessary, not desired and downright dangerous :evil:

In my opinion DRLs should be banned. I find them all dazzling, glaring, blinding, distracting and dangerous because they often mask front indicators and dazzle oncoming drivers.

As do some OM tail lights and headlights when fitted with LED or Zen bulbs

I disagree with the DRL ban however. I find them, if fitted/designed correctly, to be an excellent fitting given the number of total spanners that do not put their bloody lights on till its nearly impossible to see them !
Living in the country I find them particularly helpful in "tree tunnels" and such where again people just don't switch on.

I still do not know why lights are not a Legal Requirement to be ON all the time .............just why not ? I have never understood the reason not to, as an Ex Biker and a million or so miles in a Car, I know many reason to do so :)
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

myglaren wrote: The SAAB/Volvo system of way back always seemed to me to be quite adequate.
Agreed, an excellent idea, as was dim-dip...

Stickyfinger wrote:
I disagree with the DRL ban however. I find them, if fitted/designed correctly, to be an excellent fitting given the number of total spanners that do not put their bloody lights on till its nearly impossible to see them !
Well there you have it. Fitted/designed correctly they're fine but in the vast majority of cases they're not. I'd be all for them if they used the old Volvo/SAAB scheme as spoken of by Steve.. On a lot of vehicles they look hideous and silly. There's a German car that appears to have lights inspired by goat’s eyes. Maybe attractive to goats but not to me. :lol:

Perhaps it's my eyes but the vast majority of DRLs blind and dazzle me. That's dangerous. The best I've seen are on some Fiat 500s where they appear to be dimmed foglights. They're good and perfectly functional/adequate for their intended purpose.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

CitroJim wrote:
myglaren wrote: The SAAB/Volvo system of way back always seemed to me to be quite adequate.
Agreed, an excellent idea, as was dim-dip...
Agree, Dim/Dip was very good, I remember the days when everybody flashed at Volvos because they thought they left their lights on :) !
Stickyfinger wrote:
Well there you have it. Fitted/designed correctly they're fine but in the vast majority of cases they're not. I'd be all for them if they used the old Volvo/SAAB scheme as spoken of by Steve.. On a lot of vehicles they look hideous and silly. There's a German car that appears to have lights inspired by goat’s eyes. Maybe attractive to goats but not to me. :lol: HEY !, some Goats I know are quite pretty !

Perhaps it's my eyes but the vast majority of DRLs blind and dazzle me. That's dangerous. The best I've seen are on some Fiat 500s where they appear to be dimmed foglights. They're good and perfectly functional/adequate for their intended purpose.
I agree again, if they dazzel then they are badly designed, if too bright, badly designed or bad bulb upgrade.
As for style, mate we are old before we know it : and soon bell bottom flairs will be back and you will be doing up your 8 button waist band and looking out your Red Kickers !

If they help me see the idiot coming, then I am happy, if I get dazzled by poor design or by poor "styling" I can only hope that standards will improve but I have still seen them !

this guy talks some sense
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech ... d/bad.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
vborovic
Locked user account
My Cars: A used Citroen

Post by vborovic »

On my car I've linked the DRLs with the sidelights (via DiagBox) ... what this did is that I have the rear sidelights also on when the DRLs are on, making the car more visible from behind (when the auto light still doesn't switch to the low-beams) ... I agree that the DRLs can be blinding (on some cars, I blame aftermarket solutions mostly), but they really do help in car visibility, especially if it is greyish/foggy ... and the car's color is also grey, making it more difficult to spot in the distance, when it merges with the scenery ...
bigblackfalco

Post by bigblackfalco »

Kowalski wrote:From the picture, the LED in the end seems to have a lens over it which will concentrate the light output from that LED into a tight bright beam pointing forward. If you look at them off angle (e.g. at 45 degrees) are they still as bright? Did you try comparing them at a few different angles with the original incandescent bulb?

My experience of aftermarket car LED bulbs is that the majority are not bright enough and of the remainder that are bright enough, they don't last very long.
These look evenly illuminated from all angles.
I can't say how they compared to the OE bulbs as both were blown when I bought the car.
Yes they are a tad expensive, but from what I heard, so are the OE bulbs.
No problems with any warning lights on my VTR+