Activa Tyre Testing Thread

Stickies moved from the Activa forum

Moderator: RichardW

KP
My Cars:

Activa Tyre Testing Thread

Post by KP »

Ok i know this comes up a lot of times but thought it would be better to centralise it and if the Mod of the forum is ok, for it to maybe be a sticky???
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

I'll kick it off :-)

On the front i have a Goodyear Eagle Touring and a Maxxis tyre.

The eagle touring while near the markers is totally useless, the worst tyre i have had when its getting close to the limit. Definately won't be replacing it with the same...

The maxxis isn't too bad in the dry, mainly because even though it has 3mm of depth left, it looks like the old F1 tyres with some groves in, i kid you not that is it!! In the wet the thing will spin up in 3rd on the straight without even an incline...

On the rear i have 2 Michelin Energy E3A tyres, they are very soft sidewalled so flex a wee bit too much for me when really pushed hard but the other 99% of the time they make the back end as soft as it has even been for me, specially at 31psi, the wear of the tyres is really good and i know in the old 1.9td they lasted nearly 20k with plenty of abuse so these should do me well and i'll stick with them on the back.

I would get Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3 at the front but they dont do the size we need...
citrov6
My Cars:

Post by citrov6 »

i don't have an activa but i do track mine and have always been a fan of spirited drives

pirelli p6000 is bar none the worst tyre i have ever used, may aswell be running on tree stumps, avoid

continental + clever design for economy minimises rolling resistance until full weight of the car in braking is on the tyres then the bigger contact patch slows the car down - bad thing is inherent in this design the tyre wall has too much flexure to be sporty.

yokohama db550 very grippy , in the extra load 95v tyres provide a very smooth ride particularly under braking, compared to 91v whch sometimes felt none linear under braking

best value and best tyres i have tried to date are hankooks, in the wet they stop better than all the above, almost as if on dry, they are the only tyres in this price range with silica dispersant in them. they are basically yokohama's budget brand, but IMO they have more daring design and technology in them for less cost. they come in assymetric for our tyre size, very similar tread to michelin
Love my black v6 xant - only one with cream coloured leather too!
Koukku
My Cars:

Post by Koukku »

I can vouch for Hankook R-S2's for spirited and track driving. Not that spectacular when wet IMHO (atleast nowhere near Kumho Ecsta SPT's that I had on my Xsara), and they certainly don't look like they've been designed with hydroplaning in mind... haven't driven them in hard rain though. But on the track they really shine. I've driven about 300km with these on a track (plus everyday road driving of course), and they look like they can easily take another 300km without a complaint.

I have them in size 225/50-16, but I must admit they're a bit too wide and too tall. Next set will be 215/50-16.
- V6 Activa / Mini R53 JCW -
Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Post by Deanxm »

Gents i need some advise, my Activa has THESE , well i say these but i mean one on the front, the other tyre is ventus, and shot.
I was thinking of just getting a 5mm part worn of the above to match the one on there so i get the same tyre in the same state across an axle. has anyone used them? are they any good? if anyone has a bad experience of them i will ditch the pair and get some P zero's or proxes.
The ventus thats on the other side is torn to bits and the outside edge is shot, the kumho on the other hand is fresh as a daisy which is why im tempted to try a pair out, that and there is a part worn one in the same state as the one i have for £30 in 215/40/17 and the Activa is supposed to be a toy, not a money pit :lol: .
Also what is the standard Activa tyre size please?

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

That model of Kumho comes out ok in tyre tests, ive a printed test of 16 tyres which are in my C5s size (handy!) and that Kumho is one. I think it comes out top for wet braking and noise, but wet cornering it comes very near bottom. Overall its 11th in test, the Hankook Ventus is 15th ...

This tyre test is available on the autoexpress website i think, its quite good.

Do you not have a matching pair of rears you could swap to the front?

No P/W Kumhos in your size on ebay, new for £64 though.

These would do an Activa justice: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2x-Yokohama-Parad ... 1c17400636
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
robert_e_smart
My Cars:

Post by robert_e_smart »

Hi Dean,

Standard Activa tyres are 205 60 15. Mine has 3 Nexxens, and they're hateful garbage.

When I can afford to replace them, I'll be putting proper top brand rubber on.

Robert
1990 XM 2.1 Turbo SD
1991 BX 16 TGS Auto
1992 ZX 1.6 Aura Auto
1994 Xantia 2.0 16V VSX
2008 C5 2.7 Exclusive
Koukku
My Cars:

Post by Koukku »

I had those Kumho KU31's on my Xsara, and the only downside was that they felt a bit twitchy on uneven road surfaces. And the correct size for a 17" wheel would be 215/45, if you want to match the diameter of the standard Activa tyres.

I just bought a set of 17" TSW Volcano rims for my Activa, and I'm considering these Hankook K110 V12 Evo tyres: http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php? ... 4b818s15p0. They've received good reviews, plus I've had good experiences with Hankook tyres in the past. I would've gone for the R-S2's again, but I suspect I won't be doing enough track driving next summer to justify the 200€ price difference...
- V6 Activa / Mini R53 JCW -
Deanxm

Post by Deanxm »

Yes that is why i asked the original tyre size, being 40's the profile is too low for matching the original overall diameter which is rather irritating but at least i will get better accelleration :lol: .

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
Deanxm

Post by Deanxm »

I usualy go for brand tyres but with things being a bit tight at the moment with all my money going into the xm i thought i would get some cheap tyres for a change, so i managed to track down a pair of, wait for it, Delta sunfull HF886 in 215/40/17 for £25, and yes they are brand new and never fitted (still nobbly)
One of my tyres is a Toyo i think and the other is a Kumho which has good tread but they are coming off on saturday to make way for my crap tyres, i will report back with the findings :lol:

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Some tyre names are quite odd... So are they full of sun then Dean? Maybe they're made of old copies of the Sun newspaper...

I have a pair of 'Fate' tyres on the front of New V6. Michelin Energy on the rear though.

Even the Bridgestones on my Old V6 have a funny name that escapes me at the moment.

Fact is, I'm sure they'll do a turn Dean. In the summer, as long as they're on the front, are round, hold air and have tread then no worries. It's important the better ones are on the rear on an FWD car.

It's winter that really tests the mettle of a tyre, especially in the slippery stuff, liquid or solid.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Deanxm

Post by Deanxm »

Thats what i was thinking Jim, i had to get new tyres up front as one was hovering 1mm above the wear bars and was perishing, i also prefer to run pairs on an axle and tbh for £25 the pair, if it handles like im running on the rims i will just drive acordingly.

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92

Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Delta Sunfull, well, I've not heard of those before :lol: Im thinking that is a hit to them not working in the wet! Though at least they are new and have tread, aging and worn tyres on an Activa would be an iffy idea.

Mine is on its standard wheels with standard size 205.60.15 tyres, albeit with Vs instead of W rated tyres.
It has Michelin EnergySavers on the front - which are not as bad as you might think! - What with them being eco orientated tyres. Certainly a whole lot better than the mix matched ones it had on when I got it. Dry grip is very good with them, only lose grip when really really pushing round tight bends but its very gradual. They are quiet, ride very nicely and feel predictable. In the wet they could have more grip as they run wide earlier than I would like, but they are not bad and again predictable with enough wet grip, certainly among the better tyres in this size in my opinion.
The rears are Fulda Progresso, which are ok but I will be changing them to some decent tyres before long. The Fuldas come out quite well in tyre tests actually, not too far behind the Uniroyal Rain Expert, which would have been my next choice from Michelins. I might well put them on the front and scrub them off, it wont take long! My nsf Michelin already looks a bit shredded.

Not sure what to go for when I replace the Fuldas, possibly some more Michelins so it has a full set and I do quite like Michelins - I am of the opinion that Citroens always suit Michelin tyres.
Trouble is the standard Activa size is limited in the availability of good tyres, most are comfort orientated or eco orientated and not sporty. I might try Uniroyal Rainsport IIs next or perhaps some Pirellis. Though I suspect I will stick to the Michelins, as im getting along well with them.

Jim, I think your Bridgestones are Potenza ER300s :lol:
Last edited by Citroenmad on 16 Jun 2011, 22:31, edited 2 times in total.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Are you sure you should be driving around on tyres called "Fate"?
Sounds like asking for trouble to me.
Deanxm

Post by Deanxm »

Delta Sunfull, well, I've not heard of those before :D
Thats a slightly more polite way than my tyre fitter put it :lol:
XM Prestige PRV6 92