Citroen ZX: Replacing Dashboard Lights

This is an ARCHIVE of common fixes. Material for this section should be submitted to an Admin or Moderator for approval then inclusion.

Moderator: RichardW

B_Draper
My Cars:

Citroen ZX: Replacing Dashboard Lights

Post by B_Draper »

You may want to wait until all the bulbs have virtually blown, but that would obviously be illegal for night driving! It would be easiest to change all the bulbs at the same time. Off the top of my head, the basics for the dashboard lights are:
1. Remove the torx screws holding the dashboard controls in place and remove the Hazards/Foglights/Rear Demister surround, remembering which plugs go where. Undo the rest of the screws holding the dash in position.
2. Lower the steering wheel to its lowest position
3. There are three ways of doing the following step
Either carefully remove the air vent to the right of the dashboard and reach round to the back of the dashboard and squeeze the clip holding the speedo to the dashboard.
OR
Remove the radio, reach round to the back of the dashboard and squeeze the clip holding the speedo to the dashboard.
OR
Undo the bolt holding the bonnet/hood release and surrounding trim and reach up to the speedo... etc
4. Making sure you have released all electrical/wire cables (make a note of the color sequence) and screws, carefully tease the dashboard out of the housing as you won't want to scratch the surface plastic.
5. Change all bulbs on the dashboard - you will not want to do this again in three weeks! There are about 10 - 12 bulbs for the dashboard and 3 - 4 for the heater control.
6. Replace everything in it's original position and go for a test drive!
One word of warning - do NOT yank the dashboard out as you will pull on the speedo cable which might give a wobbly speedo if you do not have one already. This seems to be a big fault of RHD Citroens as many Users of this forum which agree on! If you already have a wobbly speedo - you may wish to
1. Insert the cable back in to the dashboard as hard as you can - this will stop the wobble on a temporary basis as I have found.
2. Other people have inserted a rubber flange of some kind in between the outer cable and the plastic clip which secure the cable on to the dashboard to stop the outer shield of the cable from twisting. Not sure how this works or how long it will work for.
3. Live with it as the wobble on my speedo came back within an hour of enthusiastic driving!
Good Luck!