Fitting new heater matrix to Xantia.

This is an ARCHIVE of common fixes. Material for this section should be submitted to an Admin or Moderator for approval then inclusion.

Moderator: RichardW

alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Fitting new heater matrix to Xantia.

Post by alan s »

<b>Our acknowledgements to <u>peteev</u> for the excellent detailed description of the job detailed below.</b>
I left the 1995 1.9TD Xantia whilst I went off on holiday. On returning to the car there was a musty smell and some bright blue globules of water running down the heater outlets onto the carpets but worst of all the clouds of moisture deposited all over the windscreen when I was trying to de-mist. A case for some serious Andyspares Forum study!
Rather than just by-pass the heater I decided to ‘bite the bullet’ and replace the matrix. Now having completed the replacement I can confirm it is not a job to undertake lightly, as most of the previous postings stressed.
It is not technically difficult but just seems to go on and on, there is so much dismantling that at times you wonder if the car will ever get back on the road again. I followed the Haynes manual to the letter and also the replacement heater’s manufacture’s (Valeo’s) recommendations on flushing after fitting the new matrix, but additionally:–
1. Before starting have the following:- New heater matrix, 2 heater matrix connector O-rings, Instrument panel lamps (1.2W RW286), Heater panel lamps (1.2W PCB), Thermostat, Thermostat sealing ring, Antifreeze. Hose clips (4 x 30mm) and replacements for all the hoses removed for flushing (probably 4 x 45mm hose clips) Flushing compound (Wynn’s or similar), Cooling system sealing compound (Wynn’s or similar)(these last 2 are recommended to be used by Valeo the heater matrix manufacturer). Might as well fit a new pressure cap as well to finish the job.