"Word/Phrase of the Day"

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Re: "Word/Phrase of the Day"

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Upselling.
Had a bit of this at a Toby carvery, "Would you like pigs in blankets with your meal?" no mention that it would add four quid to the price.
Now with the Renault purchase I had a list of 'would you likes' all declined but today got an Email offering this:
https://videoplatformstorageprod.blob.c ... 697c0e.mp4
Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new. (Albert Einstein)
bobins
Donor 2023

Post by bobins »

Gibbo2286 wrote: 09 May 2024, 12:03 Upselling.
Had a bit of this at a Toby carvery, "Would you like pigs in blankets with your meal?" no mention that it would add four quid to the price.
That sounds like a much more English .... much more gentrified version of "Would you like fries with that ?" :lol:
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Post by myglaren »

You've just got to love this, nicked from some social media site.

Ticketmaster be like:

Concert ticket: £50
Venue fee: £26.10
Access fee: £14.28
Paperless transaction fee: £7.23
Convenience fee: £17.24
Fee fee: £6.23
Fee Fi Fo Fum fee: £9.23
Because we can fee: £8.12
Another pound won’t hurt fee: £1
ChrisRobin

Post by ChrisRobin »

Two words I like.
Promenading, what folk use to do in their Sunday best to meet other folk and to be seen, I spent a week in Valletta many years ago and the Sunday morning walk along the prom seems to be a tradition with everyone in their best clothes just walking up and down and chatting, it was great to see it.
Perambulate, I love this word as well nanny's use to do it with prams, then once the horseless carriage took over the word transferred to us perambulating in our carriages enjoying the day, but once you have somewhere to go, you ambulate then to it.
Great words.
Just Remember;Where ever you go, There you are !
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

lostinlincs wrote: 28 Nov 2004, 19:34 Unfortunately i have no multimeter/tester.
Jury rigged the previous relay and get a click on and click off approx 15-20 secs later -again with no light. does this mean the plugs are the likliest cause? Plugs have been fitted for at least 45k miles as I picked the car up with 64k on the clock. Its just if I have to get close enough to test them properly I may as well replace on spec.
On that subject are the beru ones the best replacement?(95 TD 109k)
Oh on looking closely at the battery tray, its pretty corroded - would that cause any problems here?
Thanks all
So why have I dug up "Lostinlincs" vintage FCF post from Sun Nov 28, 2004 7:34 pm :?:

Answer...
It is the first ever mention on the FCF of the word/phrase Jury Rig, Jury Rigging, Jury Rigged in its various forms from verb, to adjective to noun...and Zel used it twice today in his latest blog post. A decent follow-on from his "Spelunking" a matter of days ago.

It will be known to some, perhaps many, but not to me and as ever curiosity had me look it up. Still not sure where the Jury bit comes from but the rigging bit comes from the world of sailing ships, and temporary repairs to the rigging with whatever tools and materials that were available to keep the ship sailing in the course of a voyage.

The FCF cast of "Jury Rig" users, in order of appearance. with Zel topping the list for frequency have been:
lostinlincs, jeremyonbass, mandrake, goc3k, citroen7, capelyddol, zelandeth, van ordinaire, bikernerd, xantiav6, rob78, xudmarine, bilkob
The context of use attributes its own meaning, but still a not too commonly used word/phrase and one out of the ordinary enough for me to look up and elevate to the word of the day thread.

Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Post by mickthemaverick »

I am not certain about this as my knowledge comes from WW2 naval matters, but I'd suggest the 'Jury' part may be the word adopted to describe the fact that the solution was produced as a result of a discussion between the chief engineer and his engineering staff being effectively the jury to judge the various suggestions and then run with the collectively decided one! :-D
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

It looks as if neither the "Jury" bit, or the "Rig" bit have the common 21st Century interpretation of the individual words.
https://www.merriam-webster.com/grammar ... 0courtroom.

That fact is also our clue that jury-rig has nothing to do with the juries of the courtroom. Jury-rig comes from the adjective jury, meaning "improvised for temporary use especially in an emergency," or "makeshift." It's a 15th century term that comes from the Middle English jory, as known (back then, anyway) in the phrase "jory sail," meaning "improvised sail."
https://www.merriam-webster.com/grammar ... %20nothing

The rig in jury-rigged likewise has nothing to do with the rig that has to do with manipulating or controlling something, like a game or election, to get a desired result. That rig is from a 17th century noun meaning "swindle." The rig in jury-rigged is a 15th century sailing term meaning "to fit out with rigging," with rigging being the lines and chains used in operating a sailing vessel. In the 18th century, if it was jury-rigged it was a boat:
Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Post by myglaren »

My dad always used "Jerry Rig".
But he was from Doncaster.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Post by myglaren »

"Spuddle"

Spoiler: show
Screenshot from 2024-05-12 09-01-25.png
I think I will be spending most of today spuddling.