Torn bonnet pull Citroen C6

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

cit-rotti
Donor 2024

Torn bonnet pull Citroen C6

Post by cit-rotti »

On the Citroen C6 2.7 HDI model year 2007, the bonnet can no longer be opened because the cable has broken somewhere and the lever in the interior is not working.
Is there an easy way to get to the broken cable and open the bonnet?
Where does this cable travel the most?
How is the cable replaced and what has to be removed?
Greetings Wolfgang
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Re: Torn bonnet pull Citroen C6

Post by GiveMeABreak »

If it's anything like the X7, the plastic release tab had snapped in the winter. To get the bonnet open I had to use a long screwdriver to release the catch holding the bonnet on the latch.

In my case, I was able to partially open the first part of the bonnet, but the second cable is attached to the release tab at the front of the bonnet, and this is what was broken. However, if you can't release the first part of the bonnet, then I'm not sure what you are going to do as it may be the first cable that has gone!
C6 Bonnet.png
(8) Is the stage 1 internal control release from inside the vehicle and is no longer available from Citroen.
(20) Is the secondary cable that is connected to the tab for the stage 2 release.

Both cables are connected to the locking mechanism. (8) is the partial release to lift the bonnet from the lock and the cable with tab (20) releases the lock catch as far as I can see.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
MGmike

Post by MGmike »

Hmm this could be a challenge...

If it is (8) then the best way will be to from the bottom. Remove the engine undertray and the radiator ducting in front of the cooling pack, you should then be able to reach up to the lock mechanism to release it.

I believe some people have had success with a long screwdriver through the front grill as Mark suggests but the C6 lock is set back and above the grill quite a distance and a very long screwdriver would be required.

I can supply used cables if you can't find any locally.
cit-rotti
Donor 2024

Post by cit-rotti »

Thanks for the information.
Unfortunately, it is Nr. 8 that no longer works. This lifts the bonnet not out of the lock as described by Marc.
That's why the bonnet doesn't open even a little bit.
Perhaps the wire is not torn off directly at the lock mechanism, but at the beginning or somewhere along its long path.
But where is this wire?
And it may be easier to expose this cable and then unlock it by the wire.
Greetings Wolfgang
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

There is no further info on the wire itself that I have Wolfgang, and I have checked the trim diagrams to see if there was any info on the routing of the wire. :(

Marc
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

However, the system is similar to the C5 X7, so if it will help, I can put the X7 procedure up in the members section for you in case it helps - I can't see too much difference apart from the pyrotechnics (pedestrian impact system) etc.? Let me know if this would be of help, but on the C6 it still involves:

Removal of:
  • The front bumper
  • The air filter box
  • The battery carrier
  • The engine fuse box
  • The front pillar trim (Left hand )
  • The built-in systems interface
  • The driver’s steering column air bag

Marc
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

If you put 'Opening a locked bonnet' in your search box there's a whole list of 'how to's' from a wide range of cars, maybe of help.
Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new. (Albert Einstein)
ekjdm14
(Donor 2020)

Post by ekjdm14 »

Oof, not a nice situation to be in.

Before you go crawling under the car trying to remove bits to access the catch, consider that bowden cables usually break at the ends (also, in my experience it is usually the lever end) & it might be worthwhile stripping back a bit of interior trim to see if you can access the cable from there. If you're lucky it'll be broken right behind the lever & you'll be able to grab it with pliers.

Another "rough" way I've dealt with broken/seized cables (on older cars cars, mind, so shorter cable runs with less bends) is to grab hold of the outer cable housing with mole grips & yank on the whole thing. Can cause a bit of damage if you're not careful, but if it'll pull through far enough it can release the catch.
'95 Xantia LX 1.9D-auto, Black, 118k
'97 306 XS 1.6i, Blaze Yellow, 24k
'96 ZX SX 1.9TD rolling shell, White, 81k