Remember these.? All our yesterdays

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

NewcastleFalcon

Re: Remember these.? All our yesterdays

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Arkwright had one of course :-D
If you want one now £49.99 buys one aka storekeeper/warehouse coat.

Does anyone know any shop within 30 miles where the shopkeeper/staff wear the brown shopkeeper's coat now.
Or indeed any workplace where they are used. I reckon Beamish would be the only place round here, and even there I doubt it :-D

If anyone has one, uses one, and can supply an original photograph...the bullseye will have been hit. :-D
temp2.jpg
Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Post by myglaren »

May just have a run to Beamish and see. Can't remember from last years trips.
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Post by mickthemaverick »

When I joined the GPO the brown coat was the standard issue for Stores staff and engineers in the exchanges. As time went by they slowly became khaki and eventually, I believe when BT was born, they were discarded in favour of grey. However they were always known as 'dustcoats' and became very useful for many reasons. As for Beamish I have a recollection of the chap in the Hardware/Bicycle shop wearing one but it may have been the chap or a cardboard cut-out!! :-D
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
bobins
Donor 2023

Post by bobins »

I can remember my father wearing one in the 1970s - 90s whilst doing his joinery job. I'm pretty sure I've still got his last one he wore..... but I couldn't tell you where I've put it :(
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

I can now confirm that on one of our two visits to Beamish last year the shop keeper in the Bicycle/Garage/Hardware was not wearing a dustcoat. However as you can see he was engaged in conversation by some random dude at the time! :-D
MTMO
MTMO
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Another memory about the original GPO brown coats comes to mind. In the battery rooms we used to keep bottles of concentrated Sulphuric Acid, and it was well known what that could do to cotton. A common gag used to be to wait until the apprentice had gone home and then paint the seams around the shoulders of his dustcoat. It was left to dry overnight and then the next time the coat got wet the sleeves would fall off!! Sometimes we left it to the mercy of the apprentice's mother who would put the coat in the wash to discover it in pieces when extracted or sometimes we would just attack the apprentice with water pistols to bring about the destruction !! :-D
NewcastleFalcon

Quite pleased with the brown dust coat (aka warehouse coat, shopkeepers coat, store keepers coat etc) reminisces, but the icing on the cake surely would be production of such a coat and its submission to the thread in photo of the said item. I am half-hoping Mr Nutkins still has one :-D

Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

The brown coat seems well-loved in the Comedy Sketch

Harry Enfield and Ronnie Corbett in the "My Blackberry is not working" greengrocer sketch, an homage in itself to the most famous of all "Four Candles" Sketch.
Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
momag46
(Donor 2020)

Post by momag46 »

I started work Jan 6th 1962, green overalls for a 6 year apprenticeship, then blue until I went onto inspection, white coat from then on. When I retired in 2011 as Quality / H&S Manager I still used a white coat.
Maurice
1999 V6 Xantia
2014 C4 Picasso 1.6hdi Exclusive
NewcastleFalcon

No one could meet the challenge of supplying an original picture of the "brown" workcoat, maybe truly a disappearing thing.

There should be more chance with this/these. They do exist more widely still in the modern age.

The Enamel Mug
A small nest of Enamel Mugs<br />This lot have been producing them since the 1920's but probably have only just discovered orange
A small nest of Enamel Mugs
This lot have been producing them since the 1920's but probably have only just discovered orange
The thread will accept, jugs, pails, plates, cooking dishes, pans roasting tins , bread bins etc. with pride of place to the enamel mug.

Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

A souvenir from our South Coast Saunter last year :D
53723935522_194ce9883c_k.jpg
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

Brilliant! It should be eminently possible to collect up some examples. If you have more Jim please add to it, but thats a great start.

Most will be the white enamel with the dark blue contrast. We had a literal Bread bin like that in my youth, not a one with a flip up roll up lid but a proper oblong high sided bin with an enamel lid with obviously "Bread" in blue lettering instructing you what to put inside it. My dad would use it as a "windbreak" for a camping gaz stove boiling up a kettle for tea in a layby on on car journeys! The water having been stored in a plastic container made the most awful tea! :-D
CitroJim wrote: 16 May 2024, 10:05 A souvenir from our South Coast Saunter last year :D

Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

We had a similar bin Neil which ended its life as a winter tuber storage box in the shed for Dad's dahlias!! :-D
NewcastleFalcon

So far
ImageImage
DSC06863.JPG
temp2.jpg
Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
the2ems

Post by the2ems »

mickthemaverick wrote: 30 Apr 2024, 15:19 When I joined the GPO the brown coat was the standard issue for Stores staff and engineers in the exchanges. As time went by they slowly became khaki and eventually, I believe when BT was born, they were discarded in favour of grey. However they were always known as 'dustcoats' and became very useful for many reasons. As for Beamish I have a recollection of the chap in the Hardware/Bicycle shop wearing one but it may have been the chap or a cardboard cut-out!! :-D
I’m sure we used to call them a cow gown.
CITROEN C4 1.2 PURETECH C-SERIES EDITION S/S 5DR (2023)