Electric Cars:what's available?

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

NewcastleFalcon

Re: Electric Cars:what's available?

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

One of the down the side suggestions following my watching of Hubnut's vid of the Vale of Rheidol Railway.

He usually gives a fair review of things...wonder what he makes of this...I would be disappointed if he consults a little book and tells us how many litres of space there is in the "boot".

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Not quite available even yet after a painfully slow bringing into production as reported earlier in the thread, and it may well have morphed into a heavy quadricycle rather than a proper car.

viewtopic.php?p=706458&hilit=microlino#p706458

but a production line of sorts in this video, bit "hands-on"

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Sloppysod
Donor 2024
My Cars: Citroens
1 x GS, 1 x GSX (Banger raced), 1 x GSA,
2 x CX Famililles, 1 x CX GTI,
BX, XM, Xantia, C5 Mk1,
C4 (Coupe), C4 (B7),
C5 (X7)

Renault
R4 Van
Fuego
Clio Campas

Post by Sloppysod »

I spent last weekend at the Fullycharged show in Farnborough and come away with a few compromises I will have to make when buying an EV.
1, I have been spoiled for the last 40 years, as I have owned over 14 hydropneumatic Citroëns.
2, In Farnborough I drove six EV's only one was anywhere as comfortable as my current C5. Yes, the seats were comfortable but the ride in all but the Citroën e-C4 was not satisfactory 🙁.
3, Two of the six were over £40k and I was not impressed.
4, It seems that to get a good range you need a bigger battery, and having a bigger battery means more sprung weight, which in turn means stiffer suspension.
5, Cars Sub £35k generally have smaller batteries with a range of around 220 miles in perfect conditions, typically in the UK a range of 170 would be more realistic, dropping down to below 150 in the winter, and both are lower when at speed (60+ mph).
6, I said above that the e-C4 was the most comfortable, but the range would stop me choosing it as the best that I drove. The best I thing would be the MG5 long range, not bad on comfort, and 200+ mile range.

I just hope that now Citroën have signed a battery contract with a new supplier that they may increase the battery capacity to 60Kw or even more. 🙏 To make is aviable alrounder.

The Cars I drove were, Nissen Leaf, Skoda Enyac, Kia E-Niro, Citroen e-C4, Hyundai Kona, Hyundai Ioniq 5 & MG5
Stu 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

"Some cause happiness wherever they go, others whenever they go"Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

Major interventions
C5 Steering rack @ 58,000 mi
4 discs & Pads @ 63,585 mi
2 (AM6) oil exchanges @ 58,876 & 72,378 mi
NewcastleFalcon

Excellent Stu, I always say go and have a try out in an electric, see what you think, and you have given them a decent go. Stellantis in general are getting their act together much better now, couple of stories I posted recently on their big investments in Canada including a partnership with LG Energy Solutions on a joint venture battery factory.

I think ventures with many different battery suppliers will happen. Biggest of them all CATL may have an edge on coming battery tech, Na-ion and Solid State, as well as being the Li-ion dominant force.

I completely agree about the pricing of new EV's. The development of the 3 year old second-hand market will begin to expand away from the choice of pioneers Leaf, Zoe, BMWi3, VW e-golf, Hyundai IoniQ and Kia Soul. The MG5 will come into that and with new buyers in general taking out PCP deals with low annual mileage "allowances" an EV at 3 years old is going to be pretty indistinguishable from buying new and a decent chunk of original warranties (7 years for the MG) will be left.

Personally even if I could afford it I would never buy new. Too much depreciation flushed down the toilet. Saying that because of delays and waiting lists for New Model Y's from TESLA, there was a story that used Model Y cars were more expensive than the list price new.

https://www.motorbiscuit.com/brand-new- ... than-used/

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

There were times Neil when used petrol cars were sold for more than the new price because of supply shortages and waiting times.
Back in the fifties I sold many one year old Morris 1000s at more than the new price because of the twelve week waiting list, at the same time there were new Austin A30s for immediate delivery sitting in the showroom waiting for a buyer.

Ps, have you seen the AA boss's speech about range anxiety and breakdowns made at the show?
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
NewcastleFalcon

Gibbo2286 wrote: 05 May 2022, 13:18 Ps, have you seen the AA boss's speech about range anxiety and breakdowns made at the show?
No can't find it, but if his opinion is that range anxiety it is an overhyped load of baloney, and the only way electric vehicles run out of electricity is through ignorant drivers, just as it is for petrol vehicles running out of petrol, then he will be in line with my own view. :-D

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Sloppysod
Donor 2024
BX, XM, Xantia, C5 Mk1,
C4 (Coupe), C4 (B7),
C5 (X7)

Renault
R4 Van
Fuego
Clio Campas

Post by Sloppysod »

Neil, yes I feel I have given them a good 'go' and as soon as all my ducks are in a row I will be getting one.
However, it may very well be a low mileage 2nd hand one, Merc!!, so I can get the comfort and the range I want, but am well aware it will also involve more time spent being plugged in, as the bigger batteries take longer to charge. Then again there is the new MG5 coming out later this year!! The depreciation of buying new does not bother me so much as I plan on keeping the car for at least for the length of warranty but I can see the negatives of buying new every few years and losing so much.

Not sure where the Citroen brand is going, Qutoe from https://www.latestcarnews.net/citroen-e-c3/ "The new C3 will mark a new era at Citroën since Carlos Tavares, the boss of PSA wants to reposition the manufacturer at the entry-level, a kind of Dacia in PSA sauce. It will position itself on the electric city car market not by racing for autonomy but by playing the price card. The e-C3 will be available in two “Eco” versions much less powerful than the Peugeot e-208 (136 hp and 50 kWh battery)."

I know Citroens have never been a top quality, prestige brand, but going down to Dacia level - com'on really. [-X
Stu 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

"Some cause happiness wherever they go, others whenever they go"Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

Major interventions
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
NewcastleFalcon

Gibbo2286 wrote: 06 May 2022, 08:37 Here you go Neil.
https://www.autotorque.news/latest-news ... ent-says/
Thanks gibbo.
Electric vehicle ‘range anxiety’ doesn’t match reality, AA president says
He isn't going to be able to do a decent youtube whinging rant video, with that attitude :-D

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Sloppysod
Donor 2024
BX, XM, Xantia, C5 Mk1,
C4 (Coupe), C4 (B7),
C5 (X7)

Renault
R4 Van
Fuego
Clio Campas

Post by Sloppysod »

Its not range anxiety thats the problem, the problemm is getting the 'Go-Juice' replenished again.
How many motorcyclist moan about the range, my old bike (1500 Goldwing) would only do 150 miles(ish) on a tank, but I could get that refilled in about 10 minets. The cars being launched now have faster charge times, and they will get better so poo-poo to the range argument.
I am not sure but there can't be many people out there running EV's that will 'fill' the battery at a roadside charger, but probably just recharge enough to get them to a cheaper charger, home charger? (if they have one).
Stu 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

Major interventions
NewcastleFalcon

Sloppysod wrote: 06 May 2022, 17:32 I am not sure but there can't be many people out there running EV's that will 'fill' the battery at a roadside charger, but probably just recharge enough to get them to a cheaper charger, home charger? (if they have one).
From time to time, I witness someone with an e-tron, or a tesla, plugging in and hogging an on-road charger when they already have over 80% charge. I think to paraphrase the Steve Winwood song, "if they see a chance they take it" to top up regardless whether they need to or not :-D Proper charge point etiquette hasn't quite evolved yet, although I would say that most of the charging buddies I come across are both friendly and accommodating.

Speaking from a personal point of view, I have no need for faster on road charging. I dont expect or desire filling my battery up in a comparable time to a petrol pump. Indeed the obsession with that goal with higher power chargers higher power on board chargers would seem to me to be inevitably more stressful for the battery.

REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

As I've said before the Zoe charges while I do my shopping at Tesco, takes about 25 minutes and is free....................for the moment. :)
I think if I was going to go an a longer trip I'd charge at the local Tesco before setting off and then aim to the next Tesco within the 80 miles or so range by which time I'd be ready for a coffee break while it charges before continuing.
Sloppysod
Donor 2024
BX, XM, Xantia, C5 Mk1,
C4 (Coupe), C4 (B7),
C5 (X7)

Renault
R4 Van
Fuego
Clio Campas

Post by Sloppysod »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 06 May 2022, 18:10 From time to time, I witness someone with an e-tron, or a tesla, plugging in and hogging an on-road charger when they already have over 80% charge. I think to paraphrase the Steve Winwood song, "if they see a chance they take it" to top up regardless whether they need to or not :-D Proper charge point etiquette hasn't quite evolved yet, although I would say that most of the charging buddies I come across are both friendly and accommodating.

Speaking from a personal point of view, I have no need for faster on road charging. I dont expect or desire filling my battery up in a comparable time to a petrol pump. Indeed the obsession with that goal with higher power chargers higher power on board chargers would seem to me to be inevitably more stressful for the battery.
REgards Neil
Totally agree with your comment, about etiquette, its the '....... you mate I'm alright" attitude that needs to change. I could go on a rant (Carpark Etiquete, middle lane hogging....) here but I won't [-X
Stu 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

Major interventions
NewcastleFalcon

Sloppysod wrote: 07 May 2022, 09:10 .
Totally agree with your comment, about etiquette, its the '....... you mate I'm alright" attitude that needs to change. I could go on a rant (Carpark Etiquete, middle lane hogging....) here but I won't [-X
Our "Room 101" thread is made for that Stu :-D Its a collection of personal deposits, without challenge, for things that get on your own personal wick :-D

What was my last entry....town driving..., others may love it but its firmly in my own personal bit of the FCF room 101

https://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/ ... 66#p714966

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX