Clio 2: Rear Brakes Lucas, Bosch, TRW ?

This is the Forum for all your Renault Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

NewcastleFalcon

Clio 2: Rear Brakes Lucas, Bosch, TRW ?

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

The sort of thing that a reg number doesn't identify, so which ones are they? Case of get both (TRW looks like its equivalent to "Lucas"), and take the wrong ones back :?: or just take pot luck.

Lobbing this bit of advice on it here from RenaultForums UK so I can find it later.

https://www.renaultforums.co.uk/threads ... 2c20091099

Some report 2 different drum diameters 180mm or 203mm, and 2 different shoe widths 42mm or 38mm.

Then there is the seeming superfluous (for drums) with ABS or Without ABS distinction....although perhaps that does determine the "system".

eg GSF list these
With ABS Diameter 203mm Shoe Width 38mm System TRW
Without ABS Diameter 180mm Shoe Width 42mm System Bosch
With ABS Diameter 203.2mm Shoe Width 43mm System Bosch
Without ABS Diameter 180mm Shoe Width 42mm System Bosch
With ABS Diameter 203mm Shoe Width 38mm System TRW

ECP list these
Diameter 203mm Shoe width 38mm System Lucas
Diameter 203mm Shoe Width 39mm System Bosch
Diameter 180mm Shoe Width 42mm System Bendix

So what to deduce from that. The Car has ABS so likelyhood it has a 203 mm Diameter drum, and will need a 38mm
wide shoe.

But those shoes could be either the LUCAS system or the Bosch System and may have different "holes". Was hoping to simply pick up the parts on my way, but looks like its either take both, or dismantle the rear brakes first to work our which system it has.

Regards Neil

PS...Just phoned the knowledgeable local factors who deal with this stuff for garages all day every day, and sorted!
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Re: Clio 2: Rear Brakes Lucas, Bosch, TRW ?

The problem

The job

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

As expected a delaminated brake lining and 2 hours before the drum gave up the fight and came off.<br />Random arsenal of tools.  The genius of the claw hammers surprisingly proved the most effective.
As expected a delaminated brake lining and 2 hours before the drum gave up the fight and came off.
Random arsenal of tools. The genius of the claw hammers surprisingly proved the most effective.
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Drum brakes are always a rich seam for Room 101 entries. I have added to drum brakes themselves with their silly collection of springs, already in my Room 101, today's little packet of such things loosely described as a "fitting pack".

FCF Room 101, for your own personal deposits of irritating things...

viewtopic.php?p=714608#p714608

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Well done Neil. Drum brake work is not my favourite!!
Richard W
NewcastleFalcon

RichardW wrote: 13 Apr 2022, 21:43 Well done Neil. Drum brake work is not my favourite!!
Thanks Richard after struggling to get the drum off, no doubt hampered by the lining which had gone AWOL, I actually did go and call the cavalry...well took it to the nearest garage, because I thought with the tools I have its going to take all day and might not work. I have no sort of puller. They were pretty good, I had the parts and they reckoned £64 if it took them an hour. I asked them when they could do it, and Saturday was the answer. So I decided to give it another go, still no good until I started wedging the flat of the claw hammers in between the lip on the drum and the backplate and following it right around the drum circumference. It was a prizing action which slowly got the drum moving in an outwards direction.

Yes I just did one side, in one day, not a very speedy performance, and knackered from it too :-D

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey