Electric Cars:what's available?

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

NewcastleFalcon

Re: Electric Cars:what's available?

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

News about another variation of the Citroen e-Berlingo offering

Citroen adds seven-seat XTR Flair model to e-Berlingo Electric line-up

Citroen e-Berlingo Flair XTR XL MRRP £33,000 (with £5 change), 50kWh Battery 175miles WTLP (real world will be less), seven seats, intelligent headlights.

Where would we be without intelligent headlights :?:

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Update on the electricians electric van,

NewcastleFalcon

From the Parkers buying guide review
https://www.parkers.co.uk/vans-pickups/ ... er-review/
Part of this is down to VW’s decision to only offer a single battery pack version of the e-Transporter at this stage. When originally announced there was set to be a second, large battery version, but for the time being at least this isn’t coming.

Volkswagen’s bigger argument is that the majority of its customers who are actively considering an electric van have a daily mileage of 60 miles or less – which the e-Transporter will comfortably cover.

Certainly, the electric Transporter is really only suitable for buyers and drivers who cover an entirely predictable route or distance every day, or those who are prepared to explore the capabilities of the UK’s rapid charging network.
The redemption video couldn't have confirmed Parkers' analysis better. Yes it can be done as he demonstrated but if you are regularly doing trips for business of over 100 miles, yes you are going to waste a lot of your time charging up such a low range vehicle. As for battery life, which he probably doesn't worry about because I cant imagine him keeping that van for 10 years, and its probably on lease/ contract hire/ PCP, daily multiple rapid charges are not that conducive to long battery life.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

" you are going to waste a lot of your time charging up such a low range vehicle"

Not sure about that Neil if there's a charging point available close to the job he's doing it can charge while the job's in progress so no time wasted.
A bit like me charging at Tesco while I buy the groceries. :)
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I wonder what the range of the Mercedes is. I presume the Amazon ones that I have seen do far more than sixty miles a day.

I liked the fact that their job was installing charging points.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 26 Jan 2022, 17:05 News about another variation of the Citroen e-Berlingo offering

Citroen adds seven-seat XTR Flair model to e-Berlingo Electric line-up

Citroen e-Berlingo Flair XTR XL MRRP £33,000 (with £5 change), 50kWh Battery 175miles WTLP (real world will be less), seven seats, intelligent headlights.

Where would we be without intelligent headlights :?:

Regards Neil
This is a truly bizarre decision by Stellantis - the Berlingo is a no frills family hack with a price to match. Now, as EV only at premium price, they've effectively priced them selves out of the market, and who's going to want a family car that will only do 100 miles on the way to holiday with 3 kids in the back screaming are we nearly there yet, only to be met with "No, we've got to stop 3 times and charge for an hour each time yet, we'll be there after tea". There's missing the market, and there's shooting your foot off with a howitzer!!
Richard W
NewcastleFalcon

myglaren wrote: 28 Jan 2022, 09:53 I wonder what the range of the Mercedes is. I presume the Amazon ones that I have seen do far more than sixty miles a day.

Not great, but I imagine AMazon will optimise their use within those range constraints. Amazon do have a big partnership with Rivian for 100,000 vehicles over in the USA.

Amazon orders over 1,800 electric vans from Mercedes-Benz
Mercedes-Benz released the first details about the electric version of its popular Sprinter van last year.

The eSprinter is equipped with a battery capacity of 55 kWh for “an estimated range of 150 kilometres with a maximum payload of 900 kilograms.”

Mercedes-Benz says that there will be “a second battery option” with a “capacity of 41 kWh” that “allows the payload to be increased by around 140 kilograms to a total of 1,040 kilograms with a range of about 115 kilometres.”

The company also has the eVito, a mid-size van with a 41.4 kWh battery pack for a range “around 150 km” (93 miles), according to the German automaker.

With a 84 kW electric motor, the van can achieve a top speed of up to 120 km/h (74 mph).
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Brace yourselves Nissan's Vision for the new Electric Micra, as part of the Renault-Nissan-Mitsubishi newly revived alliance, and heading for manufacture in France. https://electrek.co/2022/01/27/nissan-t ... nvestment/

Might as well accompany the vid with a small piece of tripe
“This all-new model will be designed by Nissan and engineered and manufactured by Renault using our new common platform,” said Nissan Chief Operating Officer Ashwani Gupta. “(We are) maximizing the use of our Alliance assets while maintaining its Nissan-ness.”
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

...and the well-heeled electric revolution has another couple of offerings irrelevant to the mass adoption of EV's

VW releases pricing of ID5 SUV and details of new ID4 model

Meanwhile TESLA quotes too much on their plate to develop their much vaunted $25,000 EV right now.

Tesla is not working on its $25,000 electric car at the moment, says Elon Musk

REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Skull
Donor 2024
My Cars: Citroën Xantia XII HDi
Citroën sAXo XII

Missing AX 1.4D Echo

Post by Skull »

Random observations of 2 EV's seen and heard being driven around residential areas (30 mph zone)

Porsche Taycan 73K + sounded like something was binding on :?: (estimated @ 30 mph)

Mercedes eVito 41K + (Post Office) barely audible (estimated @ 15 mph)

I was more impressed with the Postie's van :!:

I wondered whether the noise levels are related to the re-generation settings :?:
On my 4th Citroën Xantia (X2 HDi (110))
Citroën sAXo Memphis Mk II
Gone
Xantia x3 (2.0i TCT Activa)(2.1 TD SX)(1.9 TD Estate)
Xsara HDi VTR Coupe / Saxo 1.1i / BX 1.9 d / 4 x AX's (1.4D /1.5D)
2 x 406 (1.9 TD Estate/2.1 TD Saloon) 405 1.9 D Estate 306 1.9 XTDT Hatch
NewcastleFalcon

Skull wrote: 28 Jan 2022, 22:38 Random observations of 2 EV's seen and heard being driven around residential areas (30 mph zone)

Porsche Taycan 73K + sounded like something was binding on :?: (estimated @ 30 mph)

Mercedes eVito 41K + (Post Office) barely audible (estimated @ 15 mph)

I was more impressed with the Postie's van :!:

I wondered whether the noise levels are related to the re-generation settings :?:
Maybe the Porsche customers need something to go whoosh

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Skull
Donor 2024
My Cars: Citroën Xantia XII HDi
Citroën sAXo XII

Missing AX 1.4D Echo

Post by Skull »

Cheers Neil - that cockpit view looks quite scary :shock:
On my 4th Citroën Xantia (X2 HDi (110))
Citroën sAXo Memphis Mk II
Gone
Xantia x3 (2.0i TCT Activa)(2.1 TD SX)(1.9 TD Estate)
Xsara HDi VTR Coupe / Saxo 1.1i / BX 1.9 d / 4 x AX's (1.4D /1.5D)
2 x 406 (1.9 TD Estate/2.1 TD Saloon) 405 1.9 D Estate 306 1.9 XTDT Hatch
Dormouse
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Peugeot 3008 Hybrid4, Fiat Ducato, Morris Mini.
plus notable cars I have owned :- Studebaker 1921, Daimler Consorts, Mercedes 220 Pontoon, Simca 1301, Austin Metropolitan, lots and lots of Minis, both steel and fibreglass bodied, Fiat 500F, Citroen GSA's, Skoda Estelle 120 Rally replica, DKW 1000S, Triumph Herald Estate, Warwick GT (very briefly)

Post by Dormouse »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/stories-60160474
This story was in the same listings as the the Invacar one I just posted and further reading on line suggests that "dark" forces didn't want this to succeed. How much further on with EV technology would we have been if vested interests hadn't put this in the dustbin of history?
Dormouse
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Peugeot 3008 Hybrid4, Fiat Ducato, Morris Mini.
plus notable cars I have owned :- Studebaker 1921, Daimler Consorts, Mercedes 220 Pontoon, Simca 1301, Austin Metropolitan, lots and lots of Minis, both steel and fibreglass bodied, Fiat 500F, Citroen GSA's, Skoda Estelle 120 Rally replica, DKW 1000S, Triumph Herald Estate, Warwick GT (very briefly)

Post by Dormouse »

This story bookended the above one with the Invacar. Three stories pertinent to these threads in one go!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/stories-46277058
NewcastleFalcon

With 4609 topics to choose from on the Off-Topic Chat section there's always a thread to fit a story in and if there isn't, start off topic 4610 :-D Welcome back to a bit of activity on this thread Dormouse, the OTCL has been a bit slow of late, and needs joiners in to keep the content up, makes it more interesting and enjoyable for everyone.
--------

One of the pioneers in the new age of electrification, along with the Nissan Leaf/ and Renault Zoe, the BMW i3 is bowing out after a nine year production run. Even the 9 year old ones haven't fallen into the bargain basement category yet.

Story here
The future is now: After nine years, it’s time to say goodbye to the BMW i3

It is of course still very early days of mass electrification, but the agenda has been set, and the pioneer models have played their part starting from nothing and low volume, high component cost in the early days.

"Car news Global and Domestic" is now virtually 100% electric new ICE is not newsworthy and nowhere to be seen. All manufacturers have accepted plans for full electrification and even the laggards from the land of the rising sun are slowly turning, as are former perpetual whingers Stellantis who now talk less of how they can't do things, and more about how they are changing, and turning in some sound financial performance too.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey