Electric Cars:what's available?

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

NewcastleFalcon

Re: Electric Cars:what's available?

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Dormouse wrote: 30 Sep 2021, 12:29 https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/best-cars ... dium=email

This page about the UK's cheapest EVs came up on Autoexpress this morning. Throw the Ami and the Wuhling into this mix!
The Dacia Spring should appear on that list and become a best seller in the UK, but...couple of hurdles to get over.

1. Dacia need to ponder whether they can make a right-hand drive version for the UK market. They want to assess what the demand is, and they are going to take 3-6 months to make their minds up. Little bit of advice Dacia...only readers of the FCF have ever heard of the Dacia Spring in the UK but, if the masses knew a reasonably priced EV was to be offered in the UK for under £15,000, it would rapidly become over subscribed and not just with the EV savvy. Small cars sell in the UK the Dacia Spring would work. The Dacia Spring is currently the best selling EV in Italy, cheap enough and good enough, and the UK are well used to the Dacia brand.

2. They will probably have to ask their parent (Renault) if they can bring it to the UK, and how many they will be allowed to produce for the UK market. Th only thing stopping the Dacia Spring being a top-seller in many markets would be the deliberate choking back of production á la VW and the Skoda e-Citigo.

Autocar have a piece on it under a less than definite headline of...
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

You might want to check the BBC Click program this weekend (it will be repeated this Sunday, and should be on the iPlayer). A company called Arrival has three vehicles in development, with a contract with UPS to supply 10,000 vans over the next two years. They have a factory in Banbury, and another in Bicester (and, because of the way they work, they can set up another production line in a large enough building in 6 months). The vehicles are modular, the chasses are aluminium and the panels are fibreglass and resin (these help reduce the weight, and also the energy costs during manufacture). They not only make green vehicles, they are also making making green vehicles greener!

https://arrival.com/uk/en
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
NewcastleFalcon

Hell Razor5543 wrote: 09 Oct 2021, 19:42 You might want to check the BBC Click program this weekend (it will be repeated this Sunday, and should be on the iPlayer). A company called Arrival has three vehicles in development, with a contract with UPS to supply 10,000 vans over the next two years. They have a factory in Banbury, and another in Bicester (and, because of the way they work, they can set up another production line in a large enough building in 6 months). The vehicles are modular, the chasses are aluminium and the panels are fibreglass and resin (these help reduce the weight, and also the energy costs during manufacture). They not only make green vehicles, they are also making making green vehicles greener!

https://arrival.com/uk/en
The Click programme "Ready for Arrival" is currently available on i-player here https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/b006m9ry/click

Haven't tuned into their latest progress James, but have splattered various news stories and videos around the forum about them. This one from the Public and Commercial Transport thread.
NewcastleFalcon wrote: 07 May 2021, 10:26 More Arrival.....Its 20 minutes, but I like to find out about UK companies going places and doing well.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Sloppysod
Donor 2024
My Cars: Citroens
1 x GS, 1 x GSX (Banger raced), 1 x GSA,
2 x CX Famililles, 1 x CX GTI,
BX, XM, Xantia, C5 Mk1,
C4 (Coupe), C4 (B7),
C5 (X7)

Renault
R4 Van
Fuego
Clio Campas

Post by Sloppysod »

Hell Razor5543 wrote: 09 Oct 2021, 19:42 A company called Arrival has three vehicles in development, with a contract with UPS to supply 10,000 vans o....................... They not only make green vehicles, they are also making making green vehicles greener!
But UPS vans are brown!!! :rofl2:

Another Good Example of British Engineering.
Attachments
Image 1.jpg
Stu 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

"Some cause happiness wherever they go, others whenever they go"Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

Major interventions
C5 Steering rack @ 58,000 mi
4 discs & Pads @ 63,585 mi
2 (AM6) oil exchanges @ 58,876 & 72,378 mi
NewcastleFalcon

New facelift for MGZS EV together with a 72kWh long range version with 273 miles in the tank. In showrooms from 1st November 2021. Prices for the New MG ZS EV will be announced in November 2021.

https://mg.co.uk/media-centre/press-rel ... uk-lineup/
temp2.png
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

This has popped up on the Birmingham site, didn't know if it should go here or on the engines thread.
Last edited by myglaren on 11 Oct 2021, 19:50, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Video Link
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
NewcastleFalcon

Gibbo2286 wrote: 11 Oct 2021, 16:59 This has popped up on the Birmingham site, didn't know if it should go here or on the engines thread.
https://youtu.be/LYQ2PiX_Z9o
Nice to see the 3-d printed rocker cover. Like he said they printed it in plastic then got it made up in metal, but also 3 D printing in metal directly is also a thing, as discussed on the FCF here

viewtopic.php?p=693858#p693858

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

its not Bobby...its Fully Charged's Chinese correspondant, but BYD are very much a top vertically integrated company, at the forefront of battery tech, and their much vaunted existing LiFPO Blade Battery. Robust/safe/reliable/long life.

Worth watching if just to find out a little more about a car maker on the rise, and set to become ever more familiar on the roads and cities of Europe. They are already there with Buses and Taxis, and "set to trounce everyone else" as the presenter put it in a few years. Get your tariffs and anti competitive measures ready Europe, you are really struggling to keep up.

Regrards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Tesla expect that the Model Y will become ‘Best-Selling Vehicle of Any Kind Globally’

Available to order in the UK now, with first deliveries early 2022.

https://www.tesla.com/en_gb/modely
temp2.png
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Sloppysod
Donor 2024
BX, XM, Xantia, C5 Mk1,
C4 (Coupe), C4 (B7),
C5 (X7)

Renault
R4 Van
Fuego
Clio Campas

Post by Sloppysod »

Hi All, Not sure if this is the right place but.....
I have just been mooching around the UK .gov website, regarding changes to the plug-in grants available for low emission vehicles https://bit.ly/3m7dvPG and there are two categories, "Grants for plug-in vehicles" & "Go Ultra Low".
The 1st "Grants for plug-in vehicles" links to information but the 2nd "Go Ultra Low" seems dead "Error 404". Could this mean that in the up and coming budget they are going to start differentiating between PHEV, Hybrids & BEV?
Stu 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

"Some cause happiness wherever they go, others whenever they go"Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

Major interventions
NewcastleFalcon

Sloppysod wrote: 24 Oct 2021, 11:21
I have just been mooching around the UK .gov website,
The plug in Grant info currently live is this, I'll have a little delve into the the Go ultra Low bit.

https://www.gov.uk/plug-in-car-van-grants

For cars this is the list, hybrids conspicuous by their absence
24/10/2021 https://www.gov.uk/plug-in-car-van-grants
24/10/2021 https://www.gov.uk/plug-in-car-van-grants
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

The Govt has moved and while the phrase "go Ultra Low, still forms part of the language, the focus is on Zero Emission.
I suspect the Go Ultra Low projects may have been superceded. This is from the Go Ultra Low youtube channel...nothing new posted for over a year.
Go Ultra Low is an independent advice service on all things electric vehicles. Supported by both the government and industry, we’re here to shout about the benefits of EVs, bust any of those commonly conceived myths and help make you as informed as possible when it comes to discovering if an electric vehicle is right for you.
The office for Low Emission Vehicles (OLEV) has now changed its name to the Office for Zero Emission Vehicles (OZEV).
Within cities Low and ultra Low emissions zones, some incentives are available within the schemes for residents switching to low Emission/Zero Emission vehicles

Eg Transport for London operate this
https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/ultra- ... -scrappage

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Sloppysod
Donor 2024
BX, XM, Xantia, C5 Mk1,
C4 (Coupe), C4 (B7),
C5 (X7)

Renault
R4 Van
Fuego
Clio Campas

Post by Sloppysod »

Thanks for your input Neil, well spotted, it didn't register that only BEV's were on the list. So has the government finally realised some people do not use a PHEV as they should, they just buy one to get the BIK.

The contributer to the "Go ultra Low" youtube chanel have not added anything for a year or so.
Stu 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

Major interventions
NewcastleFalcon

Sloppysod wrote: 24 Oct 2021, 17:03 Thanks for your input Neil, well spotted, it didn't register that only BEV's were on the list. So has the government finally realised some people do not use a PHEV as they should, they just buy one to get the BIK.

The contributer to the "Go ultra Low" youtube chanel have not added anything for a year or so.
temp2.png
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Pininfarina still getting work in the new age. So have they messed up and spelt Foxconn as Foxtron on the front :?:

Apparently not although Taiwanese I-phone maker FoxConn are behind the project, Foxtron is a joint venture with
Foxconn Group and Yulon Group

REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey