Energy Matters Global and Domestic

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Re: Energy Matters Global and Domestic

Post by bobins »

I can see a fabulous business opportunity for the legal industry.....

"Has your home been blighted by the hum from your neighbour's heat pump ? Are you kept awake at night by the noise it generates at random times ? If so, speak to us for a no obligation consultation where we can take your neighbour to court on a 'no win, no fee' basis" 8-[
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

368 Pages just released,
368 Pages just released,
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... o-strategy

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Bit too much to plough through, how about some entertainment?
What links these two Villages, one in Cambridgeshire and One in Cornwall :?:
The link on my card is relevant to this thread. There may be others.
temp2.png
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

My suggestion for a link would be Mills!! Both have mills powered by renewable energy, the wind in Cambridgeshire and the river in Cornwall!! :-D
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
NewcastleFalcon

mickthemaverick wrote: 19 Oct 2021, 14:26 My suggestion for a link would be Mills!! Both have mills powered by renewable energy, the wind in Cambridgeshire and the river in Cornwall!! :-D
That would be a valid answer Mick. :-D

The answer on my card springs from Swaffam Prior being on the news yesterday first item up on Newsnight. Came across Stithians in a publication which I may be unlikely to find again, Kensa Utilities are part of the project.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Dormouse
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Peugeot 3008 Hybrid4, Fiat Ducato, Morris Mini.
plus notable cars I have owned :- Studebaker 1921, Daimler Consorts, Mercedes 220 Pontoon, Simca 1301, Austin Metropolitan, lots and lots of Minis, both steel and fibreglass bodied, Fiat 500F, Citroen GSA's, Skoda Estelle 120 Rally replica, DKW 1000S, Triumph Herald Estate, Warwick GT (very briefly)

Post by Dormouse »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 19 Oct 2021, 08:32 This looks like its filling a few column inches in the popular and not so popular press. The direction set is quite important in bringing about the changes across manufacturing, skills and supply chains to bring about the move away from natural gas burning in domestic homes to electrification of domestic heating/hot water. The huge current dominance of gas heating in homes due to it being cheaper than electric heating is of course a massively difficult starting point, with the current alternatives not yet scaled up to be equivalent to the current gas heating in price.

Havent seen the document yet but this is what the official press release says.
The Scottish Government got theirs out a week or so ago. Same sort of thing.
One of the ideas which the Hydrogen and gas lobby have been pushing for is pumping 20% Hydrogen through the gas grid, and then ramping up to 100% as hydrogen supplies increase. Governments have been sucking that one up for a while now but I have never quite got past the physics of making hydrogen from electricity you have already generated, consuming a fair chunk of it in the process to make a worse less transportable energy carrier.

REgards Neil

Had a good read of the Scottish proposals and it looks houses are going to have to be brought to ECP C level as a minimum.

Does anybody know of a ECP calculator. You use to get them online but I can't find one. cheers
NewcastleFalcon

Dormouse wrote: 19 Oct 2021, 16:10 Does anybody know of a ECP calculator. You use to get them online but I can't find one. cheers
Drawing a blank on that too DM

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

This hasnt been nailed yet.
NewcastleFalcon wrote: 19 Oct 2021, 14:06
What links these two Villages, one in Cambridgeshire and One in Cornwall :?:
The link on my card is relevant to this thread. There may be others.

Regards Neil
Clue 1
The answer on my card springs from Swaffam Prior being on the news yesterday first item up on Newsnight. Came across Stithians in a publication which I may be unlikely to find again, Kensa Utilities are part of the Stithians project.

Two interesting projects.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

Picking up on the clue do both villages have a communial ground heat pump system installed? :)
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
Dormouse
(Donor 2022)
plus notable cars I have owned :- Studebaker 1921, Daimler Consorts, Mercedes 220 Pontoon, Simca 1301, Austin Metropolitan, lots and lots of Minis, both steel and fibreglass bodied, Fiat 500F, Citroen GSA's, Skoda Estelle 120 Rally replica, DKW 1000S, Triumph Herald Estate, Warwick GT (very briefly)

Post by Dormouse »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 19 Oct 2021, 17:38
Dormouse wrote: 19 Oct 2021, 16:10 Does anybody know of a ECP calculator. You use to get them online but I can't find one. cheers
Drawing a blank on that too DM

Regards Neil
You did get them not long ago. I have the link for the old BER system but I cannot find the ECP links that used to be up.
Last edited by Dormouse on 19 Oct 2021, 19:30, edited 1 time in total.
NewcastleFalcon

mickthemaverick wrote: 19 Oct 2021, 18:40 Picking up on the clue do both villages have a communial ground heat pump system installed? :)
Yes the Swaffam one is here, bit of reading but basically a field with boreholes, not a borehole in everyone's garden, and an energy centre from which heat is distibuted to individual homes via a distibution network of pipes in the village. A retro fit district heating scheme powered by communal ground source heat pumps. The village is off the gas grid, and most current heating is oil.

Would have been nice for a video, but the scheme is mapped out here, down to the practical admin of the scheme.
The one in Stithians, appears to be centred on individual heat pumps being installed and takes advantage of Local company, Kensa Utilities, being awarded a £6m grant by the European Regional Development Fund (ERDF) to part-fund ‘Heat the Streets’, an £8.7 million Cornish renewable heating project, the initial stage of which will pioneer a Heat Pump Village in Stithians.

After a competitive bidding process, Stithians Village was chosen for the first phase of the ground-breaking initiative, due to its favourable geology, engaged community energy partnership and the fact that, like many rural areas, the whole village is off the gas network.
Major capital investments for a couple of small villages undoubtedly.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Dormouse
(Donor 2022)

Post by Dormouse »

I have now taken to copying the ECP reports from house sale sites to glean more info but the reports give very little away in how they achieve the ratings. I have lots of info for individual products and processes but the ECP inspectors never seem to measure much and now must take photographs of the buildings they assess so they themselves can be assessed at random for correct reports and findings.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I wonder if using non-working coal mines as a source of geothermal heat would be practicable?
NewcastleFalcon

myglaren wrote: 19 Oct 2021, 19:58 I wonder if using non-working coal mines as a source of geothermal heat would be practicable?

Looks like its a thing Steve. The Coal Authority are on to it.

https://www2.groundstability.com/geothe ... oal-mines/

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I had forgotten about the Seaham Garden Village.

Lots of abandoned coal mines around here.

Used to live in New Herrington, 500 yards from the pit head.