Electric Cars:what's available?

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Re: Electric Cars:what's available?

Post by Gibbo2286 »

mickthemaverick wrote: 25 Sep 2021, 10:19 Well done on the MOT then Gibbo, as for the Pex on the Zoe, it begs the question who will want to buy 80 mile range used cars when you can get 3 times the range in a new car for less the 8k? :-D
Somebody who only has four grand to spend maybe. :-D
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
Dormouse
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Peugeot 3008 Hybrid4, Fiat Ducato, Morris Mini.
plus notable cars I have owned :- Studebaker 1921, Daimler Consorts, Mercedes 220 Pontoon, Simca 1301, Austin Metropolitan, lots and lots of Minis, both steel and fibreglass bodied, Fiat 500F, Citroen GSA's, Skoda Estelle 120 Rally replica, DKW 1000S, Triumph Herald Estate, Warwick GT (very briefly)

Post by Dormouse »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 24 Sep 2021, 17:08 You may have heard of Geely. Yes the Chinese Lotus, Volvo and London Electric Vehicles Company ( yes the taxis) owner.

Geely logo
Geely, Public domain, via Wikimedia Commons

Apparently you can produce and sell an EV for this type of money. Moving too fast Europe?

How does €7,900 sound for this (Geometry is Geely's Pure Electric Brand)
Geometry EX3 Brings Affordable EVs to the Masses

Regards Neil
Hate to be a party pooper but the £7999 price in China is tax exempt so that is the ex factory price. By the time it is freighted and "adjusted" for RHD it will arrive in the UK. Customs Duty and VAT then get added. I would think you are probably looking at around £12,500 for starters. Still cheap but not so engaging.
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

mickthemaverick wrote: 25 Sep 2021, 10:19 Well done on the MOT then Gibbo, as for the Pex on the Zoe, it begs the question who will want to buy 80 mile range used cars when you can get 3 times the range in a new car for less the 8k? :-D
By the time the European Car industry lobbyists, and a few protectionist tariffs get lobbed on by the politicians the car for the masses will be the same ridiculous price as the VW babies.

How do you get round tariffs...manufacture them In the country they are sold in. Then they will be on exactly the same footing as the entire UK Car Assembly industry as it exists today with owners from outside the UK.

REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Datadogie
My Cars: 2009 Citroen picasso exlusive satnav

Post by Datadogie »

Evs will be flying off the shelves if this lack of fuel carries on.
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

Datadogie wrote: 26 Sep 2021, 14:06 Evs will be flying off the shelves if this lack of fuel carries on.
Interesting thought but how will they get from the factories to the dealers? I can see the available HGV drivers being monopolised by the essential supplies industries before they worry about delivering new cars!! :-D
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Something that we will probably see less of as EVs become more common will be caravans (for two reasons I can think of). Obviously towing a caravan will reduce the range of an EV quite drastically (weight and aerodynamics), and as EVs will (for aerodynamic reasons) use slender 'wing mirror' cameras it will be difficult for the drivers to see what is behind them (as there will be no easy way to mount the extension mirrors).
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

Hell Razor5543 wrote: 26 Sep 2021, 15:08 Something that we will probably see less of as EVs become more common will be caravans (for two reasons I can think of). Obviously towing a caravan will reduce the range of an EV quite drastically (weight and aerodynamics), and as EVs will (for aerodynamic reasons) use slender 'wing mirror' cameras it will be difficult for the drivers to see what is behind them (as there will be no easy way to mount the extension mirrors).
Doesn't seem to bother the caravan drivers I've been behind!! I think they just assume a four mile tail back and drive on!! :-D
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Camera on the rear of the caravan.
Brother has a 'uge caravan that he drags behind a CR-V that has reversing sensors and rear view cameras.
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

I think one of the issues at the moment is getting a BEV with a suitable maximum permissable towing capacity. I was chatting to a flatbed car transporter driver the other day who mentioned that he can't upgrade to a BEV flatbed because once he'd got the battery range he needed, the MAM of the truck would only allow him to transport the smallest of cars. He was also joking about the customer that he had to shift a BEV vehicle from one end of the country to the other for. He reckoned the new owner would have to drive the car for 8 months before they'd offset the amount of diesel he'd burnt just collecting it for them :lol:
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
NewcastleFalcon

Datadogie wrote: 26 Sep 2021, 14:06 Evs will be flying off the shelves if this lack of fuel carries on.
Welcome to the thread. Plenty info in its pages for plunge takers, potential plunge takers and also those who take an interest in the latest developments in what I regard as an interesting and exciting period of change.

My own bargain basement electric tale is recorded appropriately on the thread.
"Bargain Basement Electric" Definitely no regrets so far.

viewtopic.php?t=63910

REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

The pages of this thread have featured the SAIC/GM Wuhling Mini EV before.

Its already a phenomenal seller, it has hit 400,000 in a single market in under 2 years, has created a buzz of excitement particularly amongst younger drivers, and hasn't stood still.

It now has a larger 26kWh LFP battery and longer range than my Nissan leaf! On the way a two seater Nano EV planned to have a 24 kWh battery, yes for a staggering $3,000. People from Europe will be getting container loads shipped across just to rip the batteries out at that price. Wonder if Nissan do a new 24kWh battery for my Leaf at less than $3,000.

More on the story here
SAIC, GM, & Wuling To Release A Remix Of The Smash Hit Mini EV
The new "macaron" edition Avocado Green, Lemon Yellow, and White Peach Pink
The new "macaron" edition Avocado Green, Lemon Yellow, and White Peach Pink
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Dormouse
(Donor 2022)
plus notable cars I have owned :- Studebaker 1921, Daimler Consorts, Mercedes 220 Pontoon, Simca 1301, Austin Metropolitan, lots and lots of Minis, both steel and fibreglass bodied, Fiat 500F, Citroen GSA's, Skoda Estelle 120 Rally replica, DKW 1000S, Triumph Herald Estate, Warwick GT (very briefly)

Post by Dormouse »

Seen these before and in threads here and I wonder just why we don't call out for more cars like this Wuhling EV.
NewcastleFalcon

Back in August I made these comments. The further up the alphabet of car segment the greater profit per unit.
There is also undoubtely an informal price cartel which automakers are unwilling to disrupt to any significant degree.
Volkswagen pulled the plug one of their "babies" the Skoda Citigo EV which was perilously close to stepping out of line on price. Renault's Dacia Spring also takes the starting price down, but flood the markets with Springs and it could kill the market for its offerings like the Twingo, and the new Renault 5.
NewcastleFalcon wrote: 13 Aug 2021, 10:39 For the 11th Month in a row the best selling EV In China is...SAIC-GM’s Wuling Hongguang Mini EV.
The small electric car is available at prices starting at 28,800 yuan, the equivalent of less than 3,800 euros.

So when is that sort of disruption going to come to Europe. There is no doubt that were a similar EV offer available in the UK/Europe the pace of change of electrification would take off from its affluent-led slumbering snail's pace.

Look at our former backbone of Britain Ford, with the ever so popular Spanish Fiesta the former habitual UK best seller. What is their current electric offering in the UK Market :?:

No, not the non-existent Fiesta-e 100% BEV, which at the right price would most likely regain a best seller tag, but the Ford Mustang Mach-e for the affluent buyer.
It is more than the right time, for the A and B and C segments of the EV market to be flooded with new offerings creating competition, and targeted incentives to encourage production/sales in that sector. Also important is that a focus on this sector creates the important supply of used vehicles spreading the take up to a greater number of people 3 or 4 years hence.

Microcar / kei car
A-segment / City car / Minicompact
B-segment / Supermini / Subcompact
C-segment / Small family / Compact
The D,E,F, affluent sector populated by the more affluent buyer, is more than well catered for, and has little effect on a mass electrification of personal transport.

D-segment / Large family / Mid-size
E-segment / Executive / Full-size
F-segment / Luxury saloon / Full-size luxury
REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
Dormouse
(Donor 2022)

Post by Dormouse »

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/best-cars ... dium=email

This page about the UK's cheapest EVs came up on Autoexpress this morning. Throw the Ami and the Wuhling into this mix!