Whatsthisthen?

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

NewcastleFalcon

Re: Whatsthisthen?

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Dormouse wrote: 13 Sep 2021, 11:59 .... the wrong location
Hardly :-D , the vicinity of Holyrood Park is a perfect description...
Elsie Inglis Memorial Hospital in the vicinity of Holyrood Park!
Elsie Inglis Memorial Hospital in the vicinity of Holyrood Park!
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Dormouse
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Peugeot 3008 Hybrid4, Fiat Ducato, Morris Mini.
plus notable cars I have owned :- Studebaker 1921, Daimler Consorts, Mercedes 220 Pontoon, Simca 1301, Austin Metropolitan, lots and lots of Minis, both steel and fibreglass bodied, Fiat 500F, Citroen GSA's, Skoda Estelle 120 Rally replica, DKW 1000S, Triumph Herald Estate, Warwick GT (very briefly)

Post by Dormouse »

The maternity wing was named after Lady Elsie I am lead to believe but the actual hospital was called Edenhall. So that will greatly ease your search and be less obscure. As I said lots of things were named in honour of Lady Elsie and not all of them come up in google searches. So, try Edenhall and see where that takes you.
Dormouse
(Donor 2022)
plus notable cars I have owned :- Studebaker 1921, Daimler Consorts, Mercedes 220 Pontoon, Simca 1301, Austin Metropolitan, lots and lots of Minis, both steel and fibreglass bodied, Fiat 500F, Citroen GSA's, Skoda Estelle 120 Rally replica, DKW 1000S, Triumph Herald Estate, Warwick GT (very briefly)

Post by Dormouse »

The Elsie Inglis hospital shown in the map is indeed at Abbeyhill near Holyrood Park, but I was brought up to think Elsie Inglis was our local maternity and never associated it with any other Elsie Inglis buildings. Edenhall will take you to your link. Apologises to all the other Elsie Inglis connections too.
NewcastleFalcon

Would you believe it today 13th September, 57 years ago in 1964, following on from the 4 previous to have been born at Elsie Inglis, the youngest popped out at Edenhall Hospital Musselburgh. What are the chances of this being the day that Edenhall Hospital gets its 5 minutes of fame on the FCF thanks to you Dormouse.

I'd rate the chances of that as close to zero....so we can call that an FCF spooky!

The Golfing thing I guess may relate to the Honourable Company of Edinburgh Golfers who gradually moved themselves along the coast from Leith Links to Musselburgh and along to East Lothian and HQ'ed now at Muirfield/Gullane
https://www.scottishgolfhistory.org/old ... h-golfers/
In 1744, a committee of the Gentlemen Golfers of Edinburgh drafted the first 13 rules of golf to compete for a silver golf club, presented by the City of Edinburgh, over Leith Links...
Eleven players are thought to have taken part in the first competition.

Recent research has discovered that 20 years before he participated in the competition Robert Biggar was the publican at Golfhall, the world's first golf clubhouse at Bruntsfield.

There was a bit of a golfing link through Elsie Inglis Maternity Hospital which did have links with Bruntsfield Hospital.

Bruntsfield Links and Clubhouse were also an important place in the history of Golf.

https://www.scottishgolfhistory.org/new ... club-golf/

REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Dormouse
(Donor 2022)

Post by Dormouse »

you are almost there. Follow the Bruntsfield link back to 1774 along with the Royal connection of the Royal Burgess Golfing Society and see where they eventually played golf along with the Honourable Company of Edinburgh Golfers and track down the Old Club Cup.
NewcastleFalcon

Looks like The Royal Musselburgh Golf Club moved down to Prestonpans
Prestongrange
In 1925, after 150 years of crowded play at Musselburgh Old Course, the Royal Musselburgh moved down the road to Prestongrange House at Prestonpans, which they took on a 25-year lease from the Grant Suttie family. The course was first designed by James Braid, but has been remodeled since.

Unusually for a private club, they still lease their grounds, in this case, since 1958, from the Coal Industry Social Welfare Organisation.
So where Have I seen Preston Grange Before......on bricks surrounding a Cornish Boiler at Otterburn Mill :-D
Associated trivia!
Cornish boiler, Otterburn Mill - geograph.org.uk - 1632192
Chris Allen / Cornish boiler, Otterburn Mill

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Dormouse
(Donor 2022)

Post by Dormouse »

Yes. Preston Grange Bricks form the south of my compass around my garden wishing well. Methil goes to the east, Wemyss to the west. Just need Northern bricks now for that cardinal point. The Preston Grange bricks came from the base of the grass bank in my first lead picture.

The Prestoungrange estate that the Royal Musselburgh sits in does indeed belong to the Miners Pension Fund.

Here is another interesting Prestoungrange titbit

https://blog.historicenvironment.scot/2 ... -lothians/
Dormouse
(Donor 2022)

Post by Dormouse »

The Royal Musselburgh Golf club is the 6th oldest golf club in the world and the Old Club Cup from 1774 is still on display in the clubhouse and is still played for. The Edinburgh Golfers gradually kept moving eastward along the coast from the Musselburgh Links to their current location.

The Gothenburg tavern in Prestonpans was known by different names over time but underwent a major renovation and is now back to it's original name. I can count several Bergs within my family tree.
Last edited by Dormouse on 13 Sep 2021, 17:59, edited 1 time in total.
NewcastleFalcon

Dormouse wrote: 13 Sep 2021, 17:17 Yes. Preston Grange Bricks form the south of my compass around my garden wishing well. Methil goes to the east, Wemyss to the west. Just need Northern bricks now for that cardinal point. The Preston Grange bricks came from the base of the grass bank in my first lead picture.

The Prestoungrange estate that the Royal Musselburgh sits in does indeed belong to the Miners Pension Fund.

Here is another interesting Prestoungrange titbit

https://blog.historicenvironment.scot/2 ... -lothians/
One of the "Gothenburg" pubs does also have a family connection. The Dean Tavern in Newtongrange for a period of time was run by a family member from the Scottish wing.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Dormouse
(Donor 2022)

Post by Dormouse »

Back to the very first picture.
20191027_114640.jpg
These ceramics appear further along the road from Alan Fauld's Malagan Totem pole and there are few more examples dotted about Lower Largo.

Now,
20190311_141105.jpg
Back to Rock cottage.

What purpose did the concrete "tracks" built along the beach have?
NewcastleFalcon

Geograph provides this answer

The concrete structure covers the route that took fly ash off Cockenzie power station to the lagoons at Musselburgh.

Sea front, Prestonpans

© Copyright Richard Webb and
licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.

Looking along the concrete walkway which covers the ash pipeline from the former Cockenzie Power Station.

Prestonpans shoreline

© Copyright Richard Webb and
licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
https://www.johngraycentre.org/cockenzie-power-station/
The fly ash from spent fuel reclaimed 280 acres from the sea between Prestonpans and Musselburgh.
The ash and seawater slurry was carried by pipeline placed along the shore to lagoons at Levenhall Links, later used as a shooting range for the Commonwealth games in 1986.
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Dormouse
(Donor 2022)

Post by Dormouse »

And just to connect all the dots, the Lagoons joined Levenhall Links ( the Edinburgh Golfers first course ) to Morrison's Haven at Preston Grange Brickworks (just outside the grounds of The Royal Musselburgh ).
Morrison's Haven was also a notorious smuggler's port to avoid the Guagers at the port of Leith There you go. See to that, then.
And not a mention of Johnny Cope (the pub and /or 1745 ). Prestonpans does indeed have a rich and varied history outside the headline parts.
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

Not a video or even a picture this time but a noise!!
I have had my friend's laptop since Saturday in order to give it an update and do some housekeeping to get rid of "in use" errors she has been experiencing. Basically I had to bring her 2004 version of windows up to date and make appropriate changes. Having completed it I decided to drop it back to her on my shopping trip for SWMBO's continueing recovery. So I duly set off along the dual carriageway as normal but as I overtook a lorry I heard a double beep from the sounder which the rear parking aid uses. I thought that's odd!! A bit further along I have to swing round a one way system/ kingsize roundabout and as I went round I heard the beeping again!! Further on the beeping occurred at random times and I was baffled. A little later it dawned on me and I was able to prevent any further recurrences. Any ideas Whatthiswas? :-D
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

The laptop doing its thing. :) Mine sometimes makes me jump.
In the car though my regular passenger is seriously claustrophobic and every time I stop for anything and leave the car she opens the door a little and moving off again brings up the 'door open' beep.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

Gibbo2286 wrote: 20 Sep 2021, 17:07 The laptop doing its thing. :) Mine sometimes makes me jump.
In the car though my regular passenger is seriously claustrophobic and every time I stop for anything and leave the car she opens the door a little and moving off again brings up the 'door open' beep.
Interesting thoughts Gibbo but the doors were properly shut and the laptop was powered down before I left. It has no battery capability left anyway!! :-D
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!