Energy Matters Global and Domestic

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

NewcastleFalcon

Re: Energy Matters Global and Domestic

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Big spread in the News today...Code Red and all that. I watched "justhaveathink's" video on what individuals could do, and got a bit bored with it..nothing particularly revolutionary that I didnt know about, and discussion about quite a lot of things that cost an arm and a leg at the minute.

Read the BBC "Climate change: IPCC report is 'code red for humanity'" piece. Its all over the place easy enough to find, if you so desire, and interpretations and views aplenty in the media, column inches in the papers, and on the internet . I jumped straight to the comments...see what the polarised, cliched views of the commenters were.
In response to this old chestnut
"Unfortunately the UK is largely on board but we represent 1.1% of the problem. China, USA, India, Russia and Japan are the issue. Unless they change then it matters not a jot what the UK does."
Several countered with Europe/UK/USA etc all happily sub-contract emissions out to India and the far east where manufacturing of the goods is cheaper than on home soil and are happy for them to be transported half-way around the World. Its a bit daft in my view regardless of your own personal position on climate change.
I did take note of this reply
"..but the UK is not largely on board. We insist on our ‘deserved’ holidays and millions of us think nothing of driving 20 miles to a ‘garden’ centre for a tea and a bun.
Oops! Mea culpa :-D

(well not garden centres usually, prefer independent coffee and cake venues rather than canteen-ey GC's)

As another commenter put it
"The fact is the public are very concerned about the planet, just as long as it doesn't inconvenience their lifestyles."

REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

On good volcano eruption, there are a few in the offing, and we'll all be back in the ice age. :)
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

I hear today that singer Adele has felt obliged to regularly private jet between her properties in L.A. and (I think it was) Las Vegas - a 40-minute trip. Should have a good view of the west coast fires...
Obviously not up with the news, or perhaps just not bothered.
Chris
NewcastleFalcon

Got a bit of a geography lesson the other day, the large fires in Greece are taking place on Evia or as the Greeks call it Euboea. People waiting for Ferries to the Mainland. I see its only just an island and at its narrowest part separated from the mainland by only 40 Metres, and with two bridges.

I often chide the cream of UK Universities for not knowing the geography of Britain on UC, but apparently Euboea is the second largest of the Greek Islands in area and population after Crete and I had never heard of it.

Euboea island
Darwinek, Public domain, via Wikimedia Commons

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Did you watch University Challenge last night Neil? I bet you didn't get the embroidery questions right. :)
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
NewcastleFalcon

Gibbo2286 wrote: 10 Aug 2021, 10:02 Did you watch University Challenge last night Neil? I bet you didn't get the embroidery questions right. :)
No I didn't personally but the team I was on got a full house after some conferring :-D

Quite happy to have that sort of thing thrown in. At least equally and probably much more useful than knowing the names of 13th Century Popes or the far end of a .... about Greek mythology, and philosophy.

Not many UK Geography Questions but was pleased I didn't fall into the Blackpool trap, when the answer was Morecambe and its famous art deco Midland Hotel :-D

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Very Wise!
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

:roll: :-D

Peter
NewcastleFalcon

Justhaveathink's Dave Borlace has just done his 15 minutes on the IPCC 2021 report.

Titled "IPCC Sixth Climate Assessment. Will this one make the blindest bit of difference? "

Bit wordy but a fair enough analysis.

The lack of mitigating climate actions following the Paris agreement in 2015 prompted the IPCC in 2018 to issue a special interim report to ram home the urgency of drastically reducing greenhouse gas emissions. As Dave put it
"That caught the attention of our wise and most excellent World Leaders, who all agreed that is was a jolly poor show, and that they would definitely have a good look at thinking about the possibility of considering some concrete actions."
Now that could be a straight lift from "Yes Minister!"

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Bit of Vehicle to Grid news...Ofgem think its a good idea :-D (Office for Gas and Electricity Markets-if you want to store it away for UC/Mastermind/ or who wants to be a millionaire?)

Original article in the Guardian here

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... ck-to-grid

Cleantechnica's article, uses an old diagrammatic illustration using the "classic" Leaf :-D
https://cleantechnica.com/2021/09/05/uk ... -proposal/

REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Considered a heat pump and rejected it on the grounds of cost and efficiency.
New Baxi boiler installed yesterday. Bloody hot as I had to run it for an hour with a cleaning solution in it, was outside cleaning my gutters and those of the two adjacent houses, forgot the boiler.

30˚C when I came back in. That was yesterday! 23˚C now and it isn't even on.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Just had a smart meter fitted, paying about 23p per kwh, my oil fired boiler costs about 6p per kwh!

Peter
NewcastleFalcon

The move away from burning fossil fuels is going to be painfully and very much too slow if the perceived currently plainly obvious fact that electric heating/hot water is in 2021, whether by heat pump, hot water tank or storage heater, is more expensive than gas and oil is allowed to continue.

People will switch if it is better/cheaper. Gas heating is cheaper now, but if it still is by the end of this decade, something will have gone badly wrong.

I would expect some natural price coming together over this decade, as well as a decent dollop of "market manipulation" through some form of increased taxation of fossil fuels.

At least the impression of doing something has to be achieved, so I think a tax hike for fossil fuels is likely. As ever though Politicians like to get elected and don't like to upset voters, or force many into fuel poverty, so Peter's 6p/kWh may continue for a little while :-D

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

The chap I used to buy my filtered used cooking oil from in Suffolk had been running his oil fired boiler for a couple of years on the same stuff. I'll check out what I paid for it to see what his cost per litre was but I have no idea about consumption versus heating oil consumption! Back later! :)
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

I'm currently paying £47 a month by DD for all my energy gas and electric (Up from £44 last year) I'm in credit to around £260 at the moment, I'm also getting around £70 per quarter feed in tariff from the solar panels.

My Vaillant gas combi boiler is coming to fifteen years old but still working ok..........until the winter at the most inconvenient time I expect. :x

I am a bit of a miser though. :-D