Peugeot 3008 Hybrid4 12v battery drain

This is the place for all your Diagnostic related questions or advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Dormouse
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Peugeot 3008 Hybrid4, Fiat Ducato, Morris Mini.
plus notable cars I have owned :- Studebaker 1921, Daimler Consorts, Mercedes 220 Pontoon, Simca 1301, Austin Metropolitan, lots and lots of Minis, both steel and fibreglass bodied, Fiat 500F, Citroen GSA's, Skoda Estelle 120 Rally replica, DKW 1000S, Triumph Herald Estate, Warwick GT (very briefly)

Re: Peugeot 3008 Hybrid4 12v battery drain

Post by Dormouse »

To add insult to injury, it is used in Fords, Volvos, Opels, and god knows what else.
Last edited by Dormouse on 14 Jun 2021, 14:24, edited 1 time in total.
Dormouse
(Donor 2022)
plus notable cars I have owned :- Studebaker 1921, Daimler Consorts, Mercedes 220 Pontoon, Simca 1301, Austin Metropolitan, lots and lots of Minis, both steel and fibreglass bodied, Fiat 500F, Citroen GSA's, Skoda Estelle 120 Rally replica, DKW 1000S, Triumph Herald Estate, Warwick GT (very briefly)

Post by Dormouse »

white exec wrote: 09 Jun 2021, 21:13 I just found several listings for that SB MEAPCEM01 by googling it.
You got there too!

The potential PSA numbers 6460H4 or 6460H440 don't come up with anything relevant (just a hose on C5).
It is interesting that it commonly talks about the T9 version of the 308 in relation to this part number and throws up pictures of a not dissimilar air control box to mine. This actuator is fitted to a whole range of manufacturers and appears as a stand alone service part yet I had to take the whole assembly. Not a happy bunny!

If anyone would like my "very expensive" set of air shutters let me know. I have ordered a new motor and intend to clean up the Air Control Module and put it up for sale.
Dormouse
(Donor 2022)

Post by Dormouse »

Our Hybrid4 has just completed a 800 mile round trip to Redditch and I only spent £50 nett on fuel. No problems, no niggles, no hassles. So, I think we can say that the issues we have been having are now sorted. Back to short runs this week and I will keep checking but, touch wood, I think we have cracked it.
Dormouse
(Donor 2022)

Post by Dormouse »

How have I saved on fuel?
1623659738059.jpg
This little booze run saved me roughly £40 compared to what it would have cost me in Scotland. Yes, not only is some of our beers crap but they are also very expensive in the shops.
Dormouse
(Donor 2022)

Post by Dormouse »

been rooting about to find out more about Controlled Air Intake Modules and it appears they are fitted to 3008, 308 (late) and 507SW models (so far) and a pheasant strike in the front grille or superficial accident damage can cause the flaps to jam and give the same Engine Repair warning light. Will keep delving into other makes as well to see what comes up.
Dormouse
(Donor 2022)

Post by Dormouse »

I have found an associated Part no
I suspect this is the stepper motor.
can anyone confirm this?
Dormouse
(Donor 2022)

Post by Dormouse »

The car has been behaving fine. I still get a residual current of 0.04 amps when sitting and the service battery voltage drops slowly with time when left for a period of days. It has been suggested that 0.04 amps is slightly high for a 3008. However, a Hybrid4 is a 3008 with two extra ecu's and a traction battery box/drivetrain to maintain over and above all the standard things on a high spec 3008, so a slightly high residual current draw when sitting is probably normal - unless someone out there knows different. I am going to draw all the main points together and make one summary page shortly.
Dormouse
(Donor 2022)

Post by Dormouse »

FINALLY.
The summing up.
1633598042285.jpg
This grainy collage shows Air Control Flaps from Fords, BMWs, Minis, Volvos, Opels and, of course, PSA models like mine. Volvo and Ford use the exact same Sonceboz stepper motor drive and list it separately as a service item. Peugeot do not. Ford and Volvo Sonceboz stepper motors are available for between £30 to £48. Peugeot charged £295 for a complete Air Control Module and I still had to buy a new line repair plug from VW as Peugeot, again, does not supply plug connectors, only complete harnesses. So my wallet has taken an enormous hit for a very large piece of plastic I just did not need. Summing up, Peugeot has not done itself any favours with people like me and, I suspect, many of you too. Hence the reason why FCF is so useful.

The initial fault was a flooded out electrical connection in the nose of the car - made worse by the fact that the plug retained the salt laden water inside the stepper motor and was shorting it out. This caused the heavy current drain as the system was constantly trying to close the Air Control Module and this was further exacerbated by an old battery that had reached its useful life end. Summing up here, it is clear that waterproofing is not good on these cars so care has to be taken seriously when searching for faults. This car is not unique in being fussy about battery condition and changing from a generic battery to a high quality one solved a lot of issues that the generic one couldn't cope with and didn't help as the diagnostics went on.

The stable/steady state current drain is still highish at 0.07 - 0.08 after initially starting higher (all as expected) and settling at that current after a minute or so. The battery voltage has dropped to as low as 12.35v, sitting for a few days, at initial connection but usually sits at 12.4 - 12.5 overnight. Charging voltages are healthy and the battery itself always shows 90% plus health on the battery meter. The car has done several hundreds of miles now in completely different conditions and has behaved impeccably (touch wood/head). Summing up here, this particular Hybrid model obviously has more ecu's than a standard car, hence the 0.08a for a few minutes and a 40 milliamp plus residual current seems to be it's dormant norm. 40 milliamps only comes up if you wait upto 5-6 minutes, so I assume the ecu's communicate a fair bit after you switch off the ignition until all shutdown protocols are satisfied.

So all of the different faults thrown up in the initial readouts all seem to have been caused by two problems. One. The battery voltage dropped too low for some ecu's as it was being drained by the Air Control Module circuit fault causing the running and shutdown cycles to be incomplete and continuing cycling on. Two. The poor condition and performance of the original battery and the poor quality initial replacement battery just held up the diagnostics. None of the red herring faults have come back. No Airbag faults, no FM2 Aerial faults for instance. Nothing. The car is currently healthy and trouble free (double touch wood/head).
Dormouse
(Donor 2022)

Post by Dormouse »

An update after some 9 months. The car ECUs have behaved (touch wood/head). The Exide battery has never let us down so far but it has never sat for more than 4 days - no long holiday parking ups unfortunately! Residual voltages have dropped overnight to below 12.3v on a few odd occasions over the cold weather but have not dropped below 12.3v so far during the summer weather. I assume that this is the effect of temperature and the running of lights, wipers, heaters/AC etc during the cold weather. Where we stay, running the AC is not a constant thing during the "warmer weather" so we don't have the drain from that that other people might have in warmer locations. So, all good so far.