Pickled Egg Jukebox-Your Selections

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Re: P.E.Jukebox-your selections please

Post by bobins »

I think it's browser dependent. It works for me on Chrome but not on Firefox - though Firefox seems a little broken for me these days.
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Neither Chromium nor Firefox works. Always used to until recently.

Chris:
It starts as your link then goes to https:// www.globalplayer.com/live/classicfm /uk/
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

It works from Opera which I changed to on Marc's advice.
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I did use Opera a while back and don't like it.

The loss of functionality on one website is not a big deal really. As said it was just for the occasional look up, not to listen as there is far more useful places with no advertising and other nonsense on it.

I just wondered if anyone else had problems with it. They must have changed something somewhere.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I have just read the following about Ringo Starr. I have never taken an interest in the members of the Beatles but found this interesting.

Apart from his relationship with his family, pretty terrible. This is a story about Ringo Starr before he was Ringo Starr, so I’ll use his birth name.

Richard ‘Ritchie’ Starkey’s parents were Richard Starkey (1913–1981), who worked as a confectioner, and Elsie Starkey, née Gleave (1914–1987.) Because of Richard Sr’s job, the family always had sugar throughout the war, whereas rationing meant that other families had limited access to the stuff.

Ritchie was an only child. They lived in Dingle, a working-class area in the inner city of Liverpool. Richard Starkey was, by some distance, the most working-class Beatle.

Dingle in those days was a rough and violent place. I notice that in the above picture, the cops are paying somebody a visit.

Both Ritchie’s parents were keen ballroom dancers, and his father was more keen on dancing than he was interested in his family. In 1944, Richard and Elsie separated and young Ritchie saw very little of his father after that.

At the age of six, Ritchie got appendicitis and he went into hospital to have his appendix removed. He contracted peritonitis, and was in a coma for several days. It took him months to recover, all of which he spent in hospital. (He would have recovered more quickly but apparently he burst his stitches while getting
something for another child, which may have been how he got peritonitis in the first place.)

He left hospital having missed many months of school. At the age of eight, he was illiterate. His mother let him stay home from school, and he was tutored by a neighbour. When he finally went to school, he was thoroughly alienated from the educational system.

In 1953 he developed tuberculosis, and had to go a sanatorium to be isolated. He stayed there for two years, during which time he developed an interest in drumming.

In 1954 his mother married Harry Graves, and Ritchie developed a warm relationship with his stepfather.

Through all this, he had a close relationship with his mother, and recalled that he used to sing to her at parties, especially the spiritual ‘Sometimes I Feel Like a Motherless Child’, which he cheerfully admitted was ridiculous, seeing as he was singing it to his actual mother.In 1970, his first solo album Sentimental Journey would consist of him singing some of his mother’s favourite songs.

By the time he got out of the sanitarium, he was too poorly educated for a basic clerical job, and too physically puny for any kind of manual labouring job. These were the only two careers open to him at the time, or so it seemed.

After working briefly for British Rail and as a waiter on a ferry, he got an apprentice machinist’s job at an equipment manufacturer. Here he met Roy Trafford, and his interest in music was revived. On Christmas Day 1957, his father Harry gave him a second-hand drum kit, and he became a part-time drummer in addition to his apprenticeship as a machinist. In 1959 he joined Al Caldwell’s Texans and stuck with the band during its transformation into Rory Storm and the Hurricanes. In 1960, he finally abandoned the apprenticeship and became a full-time musician, playing hundreds of hours of gigs with the band in clubs, bars and holiday camps.

Anyway, somewhere along the line, despite his chronic ill health as a child and his near-total lack of education, Ritchie Starkey became one of the most experienced drummers in Liverpool, and developed the laconic sense of humour and stoical cheerfulness that endeared him to three fellow Liverpudlians, a trio of arrogant, ambitious misfits who he would meet in a Hamburg nightclub on 1 October 1960.
Which of course prompts -

NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Seeing as today we visited Lauder in the Scottish Borders what's more appropriate than the debut on the Pickled Egg jukebox of the old Musichall favourite....Harry Lauder

Any Harry Lauder Favourites, Any Musichall Favourites?......The North East had a decent tradition in them including Balmbra's famous in the Blaydon Races......

"Aa went to Blaydon Races, 'twas on the ninth of June,
Eighteen hundred and sixty two on a summer's efternoon,
Aa tyuk the bus fra Balmbra's and she was heavy laden,
Away we went alang Collingwood Street that's on the road to Blaydon!"

The Pickled Egg Jukebox, probably the best jukebox in the world :-D

REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

I had three favourites from the music hall days, here's the first:

mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

And my Mums favourite song from the Palace Music Hall in Walthamstow (I think!):

NewcastleFalcon

We'll give Owen Brannigan an Airing with one of Geordie Ridley's songs. When suitably oiled the pickled egg faithful can join in with the chorus :-D

REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

The third and final song from me before I set off for Mallorca, quite appropriate really!, is my Dad's favourite number as sung, I believe, by Marie LLoyd, the star of his dreams!!:

NewcastleFalcon

Good effort Mick thanks for joining in. When our 5 Musichall songs come on the Pickled Egg Jukebox, it should get the punters singing along! All adds to the Variety.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Having a tidy up yesterday I found a 45 of this in my pile.

Last edited by myglaren on 23 Feb 2020, 11:19, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: video link
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

NewcastleFalcon

...and from a random link on the How many miles in the month thread here we have the Who with Summertime Blues

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey