Marc's X7, C3 Aircross, Rants, Raves & Everything Else

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Re: Marc's X7, Rants, Raves & Everything Else

Post by GiveMeABreak »

But like ITV Hub - if you want ad free catch up, you can subscribe and pay to have no ads.

I'm thinking of pensioners - who could at least have a TV service without having to cough up £154 a year - just suffer a few more ads which 95% of terrestrial channels have already - and what does the BBC offer - zilch. It's not impartial on the news and current affairs, and IMO needs to stand alone. I object profusely to paying for something I do not use.

I guess there will be arguments one way or the other - but regardless, there's no denying it is an unjust tax as there is no choice and the fee should be scrapped.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Paul-R
Donor 2023

Post by Paul-R »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 03 Oct 2019, 13:19But like ITV Hub - if you want ad free catch up, you can subscribe and pay to have no ads.
I didn't know that but I have absolutely no intention of paying when I can pull the programmes out of the ether onto my PVR.
GiveMeABreak wrote: 03 Oct 2019, 13:19... and what does the BBC offer - zilch...
Sorry Marc, you're way out of order there. The BBC is a national resource and should be cherished and protected.
GiveMeABreak wrote: 03 Oct 2019, 13:19...there's no denying it is an unjust tax as there is no choice and the fee should be scrapped.
But I do deny it. And I'm not alone.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

We'll have to disagree on that front Paul

If I don't like the tax rates set by my government - I can vote to remove them.
If I don't like my local MP - I can vote them out.
If I don't like my current streaming service - I can cancel it.
If I don't like the content of a magazine or newspaper - I have a choice not to buy it.

But with this Licence fee tax I don't have a choice - I have to pay for the derisory content whether I watch it or not - taxation without representation - completely undemocratic and unjust.

Marc
Paul-R
Donor 2023

Post by Paul-R »

By the by. The TV licence isn't a BBC tax, it's a licence to operate a TV. So that you can watch ITV or whatever as well.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I have to disagree Paul, from TV licencing:
Over 90% of the licence fee is spent on BBC TV channels, radio stations, BBC iPlayer and online services
so if that's not funding the BBC I don't know what is.

Marc
Paul-R
Donor 2023

Post by Paul-R »

It may mostly go to fund the BBC but it's not a direct transfer. As I say, it's a licence to operate a TV.

myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Post by myglaren »

I pay the licence fee and probably watch about ten hours of TV a year.
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)

Post by Stickyfinger »

Remember, if one of those "licence checking officers" comes round....tell them to Sling their Hooks as they are just employees paid to try and frighten you, they ARE NOT "OFFICERS" of anything.

If you do not watch terrestrial Tv and do not use IPlayer you do not need to pay the licence fee.........you can even fill out a form declaring such to stop them writing to you.
AND.....NO, they cannot detect your "signals"
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Quite right Alasdair - you can deny them entry by removing any implied right of entry - but they can of course come back with a search warrant.

The problem now is that the check extends to tablets, PCs sart phones, Xboxes and the like - so trying to prove you are not watching live TV is almost impossible. As an example, if you have BT sports package with your broadband - even though you pay for it, you still need a licence to watch anything 'live'.

It's why the whole thing is totally flawed - trying to prove anyone is or isn't watching live TV is a joke. I can't for example disable my Freesat because it's built into my TV. I can only remove the satellite feed - but where does it end - I can't for example remove iPlayer off my Smart TVs as it's a default App! on these TVs!

Marc
myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Post by myglaren »

I had BT TV removed when my son moved out - I despise anything sport related so had no use whatsoever for it.
Only watch iPlayer but have to have a licence for that. With any luck I'll get it free in three years :)
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Dream on Steve! They'll probably only give a free licence to those over 110 with both parents alive. :rofl2:

Marc
myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Post by myglaren »

More than likely.
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

On the BBC and the licence I note that they produced the pay rates for presenters recently and was amazed that Laura Kuensberg the political front is on £250 grand a year basic, the prime minister's rate is £158 grand, something not quite right there I think.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Exactly - that's where I got Linekar's salary from - just for presenting. I mean Claudia Winkle something or other - she's on £370k!! For what? Utterly shameful. If the BBC want to compete, then I suggest their charter is withdrawn and they float themselves on the stock exchange.

Marc
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Post by mickthemaverick »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 03 Oct 2019, 11:35 I'm with you on all this ^ But I must of lost the plot on the Boots one Mick - just not getting that?? Maybe I'm trying to over-analyse it :rofl2:

Perhaps its me but I read that as saying that "the goods will be available if they are available". I read that as if they were saying "the goods will be blue if they are blue" :?
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!