Picture(s) of the day....

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Re: Picture(s) of the day..

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I like Siamese cats. Loud, strong willed, can be very affectionate, and (where some cats are concerned) hell on four paws to anything they consider worth hunting. My Mum used to breed Seal Point Siamese Cats in Germany, and she was the first breeder in Europe to breed two European Grand Champions. Her stud cat (Excalibur) was one, and he had a lovely nature, and the perfect shade of blue eyes for his 'point'. He loved seafood (crab) sticks, and you had to peel them VERY fast, otherwise he would try to inhale a seafood stick in one go!
Last edited by Hell Razor5543 on 26 Jul 2018, 20:10, edited 1 time in total.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Thanks for that Steve, the image I copied in was the right way round?

James

Yes we have had Siamese types for many years, the two in the picture are Siamese x ragdoll although they look siamese, they have the blue eyes but are very quiet compared with our last chocolate point, they are also very large/heavy. We had three of them as a job lot after our last one died, someone wanted to rehome them.

Peter
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Have you HEARD a Siamese Queen calling when in heat? They are so loud they could be used as a foghorn (and if the RMS Titanic had had a calling Siamese Queen she would not have hit that iceberg, as it would have swum the other way to get away from the noise!).
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

One man and his cat.png
Not personally but I know what you mean, our male could be heard throughout the house. There was no missing him.

Peter
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

When you have a Siamese Queen calling NOBODY gets any sleep, even if she is in a soundproof room (I doubt any soundproofing engineer has had to deal with said issue!). She will NOT shut UP (or get any sleep; she has had enough sleep in the previous 6 months for her to forego sleep for a week, if needed!). Only when she has been successfully visited by a Stud cat will the noise die down.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

We only bred from a Tonkinese before they were a registered breed, don't remember if she was noisey or not. She had two kittens, one was pure siamese and the other Tonkinese, sadly the Siamese died but the Tonkinese grew into a great hulk of a cat.

Peter
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Mum also worked out how to 'train' cats on what they could/could not bring into the house. If it was furry and squeaking they (the cats, that is) got shouted at. If it was furry and had been de-squeaked the cat got a fuss made of it. However, anything remotely feathery resulted in the cat getting the silent treatment. They usually go the hints.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

I must remember that. The local wildlife has taken a bit of a hammering since we had them, the old cats were 18 (the Siamese) and 20 (the moggie) years respectively, they just looked at things that moved and showed very little interest, these were about 18 months old and much more interested.

I should think we have had every kind of mouse released in the house and rats, squirrels, moles and rabbits but only the occasional bird I'm pleased to say, although lately the input seems to have dropped off somewhat. We have had some success in rescuing the creatures brought in, my grandaughter particularly likes rescuing things and putting them in cages in the rabbit/guinea pig house to recuperate.

They have over 5 acres to roam in here but are still often seen on neighboring farms. One of them has stayed out for several nights and come home smelling of fresh hay. :)

Incidentally my wife reminded that our in season Tonkinese did nearly yowl the hose down - I had forgotten.

Peter
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

Not your average job today - move a customer's shepherd's hut for them using a suitably vintage tractor. 1960s(?) Ford 3000 towing a modern shepherd's hut. Thankfully the whole job could be done without the need for reverse gear as drawbar trailers and turntable axles are not my forte :lol:
tractor - own work
tractor - own work
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

How often do you see "Newport Pagnell" given a name check on an iconic vehicle?
Yes Coventry Steel Caravans finest!
Yes Coventry Steel Caravans finest!
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

POTD Snap

bobins wrote: 27 Jul 2018, 22:14 Not your average job today - move a customer's shepherd's hut for them using a suitably vintage tractor. 1960s(?) Ford 3000 towing a modern shepherd's hut. Thankfully the whole job could be done without the need for reverse gear as drawbar trailers and turntable axles are not my forte :lol:

tractor.jpg

Snap!
Ford 3000 Walton Cumbria NF own work
Ford 3000 Walton Cumbria NF own work
..and there was a 4000 next to it!
Ford 4000 Walton Cumbria NF own work
Ford 4000 Walton Cumbria NF own work

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

So we have a pedal on the left, a pedal on the right, two knobs atop two levers, and a little stick on the steering column.

So old tractor driving lesson one would be....?
nfalcon own work
nfalcon own work
Regards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 30 Jul 2018, 21:39, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

Old tractor driving lesson one would be........ Anticipation is everything. End of lesson one :lol:

Left pedal for clutch, right pedals -there are 2 of them- are rumoured to do the brakes ( but I think they were left off the options list on the one I was driving ), there should be a small pedal behind your right(?) heel for the difflock. One of the gearbox knobs is for high / low range on the gearbox and the other does three speed plus reverse. Both need to be in neutral to start the engine. No foot throttle on these, just the hand throttle by the steering wheel. 3 cylinder engine on the one I was on, and although they've got a cold start / excess fuel knob on the side of the Simms injection pump, proper cold weather starting involves an awful lot of cranking of the engine....... as in about 2 minutes of turning it over on the starter before it can be coaxed into life :)
The one I was on came with air conditioning, whereas the 3000 you photographed came without :-D

The exhaust pipe merely rests in the manifold, in fact you can take it out and turn it upside down and stick it back in and it makes no difference..... it's still noisy :wink: Spares still available - I did the water pump on it last year !
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
NewcastleFalcon

POTD First of the Month..

Let us not let this day pass without a POTD

Anything will do. I need entertaining, and you never know others may be entertained too.

If there are no contributions.....and really there is no excuse we all have thousands of pictures in our archives, and there is even still enough time just to snap something new today......I will disgruntedly seek out an unsuspecting snail as a metaphor take a picture and give it its 5 minutes of fame on POTD. :-D

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Picture(s) of the day

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 05 Aug 2016, 23:01 Everyone's not gone on one of these have they?

https://www.historytoday.com/sites/defa ... eleste.jpg

Regards Neil
L'escargot sarcastique
L'escargot sarcastique
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey