Elon's Rocket

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

NewcastleFalcon

Elon's Rocket

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Yes almost my FCF moniker Falcon Heavy blasts off :-D

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Re: Elon's Rocket

Post by bobins »

I liked the 'Don't Panic' on the car's display screen :)
Mr Musk has a good sense of humour - there's a setting on some of his cars that allows you to turn up the radio to '11' :lol:
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

And the "Insane" mode :)
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

One of the Mods on another forum I am a member of did a bit of tweaking;

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthrea ... rr-Houston
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

I have to say the Starman in the Tesla in orbit put a big smile on my face. :-D As did watching the two side boosters perform a choreographed and flawless landing! =D> Pity about the middle section crashing into the ocean at 300 mph and missing the landing pad by 300 feet though. :lol: Apparently it ran out of "igniter" fuel so was only able to light one of the three boosters required to land...whoops... #-o

As people will know I'm a Tesla watcher so keep an eye on Musk there but I can't say I have ever kept a close eye on what SpaceX are up to, and boy do I wish I had... Apart from the flight a couple of days ago I came across this video from last September and wondered why have I not heard about the BFR before ??

Incredibly inspirational if they pull it off. Already the Falcon Heavy is obsolete and once they are finished fine tuning that and churning them out like sausages for commercial payloads they say they are going to focus fully on engineering the BFR. The Falcon Heavy is mainly to "pay the bills" by launching commercial and government payloads, allowing them to focus on their true plans of manned missions to the Moon and Mars. :)

The design of the BFR is really, really clever. In one swoop it replaces the Falcon Heavy for launching earth orbit satellites, replaces the space shuttle for manned trips to earth orbit and back, and also allows manned return trips to the moon and mars.

Unlike the shuttle which can only land on earth since it lands using wings like a plane, the BFR is designed to do powered vertical landings - basically like the side boosters landing we saw a couple of days ago. So it can land on the Moon or Mars without requiring an atmosphere or even a landing pad, as long as there is a large enough piece of flat stable ground for a vertical landing.

Even more incredible, once it has landed on the moon it can take off again and fly all the way back to earth orbit with the fuel it still has on board. :shock: To take off from Mars it will need refuelling but he has a plan for that too. Unlike most rockets (including Falcon Heavy) that run on a Kerosene based fuel called RP-1 (and liquid oxygen) it will be designed to run on Methane and liquid oxygen - CH4 + O2.

The idea is to harvest the CO2 from the Martian atmosphere and frozen ice and use the power from solar panels to convert that to Methane and Oxygen using the Sabatier process. Sounds far fetched unless you can find sufficient quantities of water/ice but that's the plan!

They're aiming for two unmanned BFR's full of supplies going to Mars in 2022 and in 2024 two more unmanned and two manned ones going. Being Elon Musk these timelines are probably hopelessly optimistic (!) but the fact that they are seriously trying is amazing. They were a few years late getting the Falcon Heavy finished but they did it, and it's now the most powerful rocket currently operating in the world - only bested by the Saturn 5 used in the Apollo missions, and unlike the Saturn 5 and most modern rockets designed to be reusable to dramatically cut costs.

As someone born just after the manned lunar missions ended and growing up in that post Apollo era the excitement and hope of further space exploration, manned bases on the moon etc was strong when I was young and it slowly but surely faded away over the next 42 years as it became clear that once the US government had "beat the ruskies" that nobody was interested in going back to the moon! Terribly, terribly disappointing for someone interested in space. :(

At least we had the space shuttle, although it was only being used for satellite deployments and taxi rides to the ISS - but then that also ended a few years ago.....with no replacement vehicle even on the drawing board....and now the US government hitches rides on Russian Soyuz rockets to get to the ISS. How did we come to this ? [-X

I honestly though I'd never see manned missions to the moon or Mars in my lifetime, not because we couldn't do it, but because no government had the will or interest to do it. I'd given up hope. :?

And then I watched the video above and a few others and realised that in the background SpaceX has been quietly working towards that goal all along, and not only are they serious about doing it, the design of the BFR and it's capabilities is pretty revolutionary. I'm sure it will be a few years later than they say but I now have confidence that unless they go broke we will see manned missions to mars and maybe the moon, and probably bases being set up there well within my lifetime.

I urge anyone who has any interest in space travel to watch the video above, if you haven't heard about the BFR before you will be gobsmacked as I was. :)
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
Michel
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Some cars and a motorbike

Post by Michel »

"and now the US government hitches rides on Russian Soyuz rockets to get to the ISS. How did we come to this ? [-X "

Soyuz is cheap and it works. Only 4 deaths on it too, last one in 1971! It's not pretty or modern but it does the job. It seems that even when things do go awry on It, the crew still make it home safely.
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

I'm not saying anything is wrong with the Soyuz rockets as such, just the fact that the US has let itself get into the position of having no astronaut capable flight system of its own, such that it has to borrow rides on rockets belonging to their ex-arch nemesis. :lol:

I bet Putin is grinning every time a Soyuz with an American on board launches. :twisted:
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
Michel
(Donor 2022)

Post by Michel »

Mandrake wrote: 08 Feb 2018, 13:19 I'm not saying anything is wrong with the Soyuz rockets as such, just the fact that the US has let itself get into the position of having no astronaut capable flight system of its own, such that it has to borrow rides on rockets belonging to their ex-arch nemesis. :lol:

I bet Putin is grinning every time a Soyuz with an American on board launches. :twisted:

I think the septics spent all their spare cash fighting nonsensical illegal wars, and didn't have any left to continue a decent space programme. Their replacement for the shuttle isn't scheduled to fly until 2019 but those in the know reckon 2020 at the earliest now.

I'm sure Donald doesn't mind giving Vlad $80 million every time a US astronaut hitches a ride on a Soyuz...
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

The thing about the Russian rocket motors is that they are a simple, basic design. Rather than design another motor for a heavy lift application they just scale the motor up. The simplicity concept works well.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Michel
(Donor 2022)

Post by Michel »

Hell Razor5543 wrote: 08 Feb 2018, 15:39 The thing about the Russian rocket motors is that they are a simple, basic design. Rather than design another motor for a heavy lift application they just scale the motor up. The simplicity concept works well.

Well, it did until the N1...
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I shall have to lend you "Space Race", by Deborah Cadbury. It accompanied the BBC program of the same name, and documents the work of Wernher von Braun and Sergei Korolev.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

I've been in and climbed all over a Russian space shuttle, it had the mechanical and electrical qualities of a 1938 Ford 8.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
Michel
(Donor 2022)

Post by Michel »

Gibbo2286 wrote: 08 Feb 2018, 16:39 I've been in and climbed all over a Russian space shuttle, it had the mechanical and electrical qualities of a 1938 Ford 8.

It's a shame the Buran never flew as intended. It might not have had the tech of the NASA shuttle but it might not have been such a worrisome vehicle to ride. It also was the first reusable spacecraft to complete a fully automated unmanned mission, and even had the capability to automatically decide to go-around when a bad landing was imminent - something the NASA shuttle couldn't do as it was essentially a heavy glider once back in the atmosphere.
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

Wonder how many environmentally friendly electric vehicles Mr Musk has to sell in order to counter the pollution he's chucking out with each of his rockets ?
And before anyone gets annoyed - it's a serious question ! Just how polluting are rockets ???? It can't be that difficult to work out, I mean - it's not rocket science :lol:
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
Richard_C
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: C4 Picasso 1.6 Blue Hdi 120 Manual Excl+ 2016
C3 1.2 Puretech 110 Auto Flair 2017

Post by Richard_C »

Mandrake wrote: 08 Feb 2018, 13:19 I'm not saying anything is wrong with the Soyuz rockets as such, just the fact that the US has let itself get into the position of having no astronaut capable flight system of its own, such that it has to borrow rides on rockets belonging to their ex-arch nemesis. :lol:

And I grin every time I think about the aircraft that NASA uses (or at least used up to 2016, not sure now) as a fast, stable high altitude instrument platform. First flew in 1949. I remember seeing one in flight years and years ago but don't recall where.

www.bbc.com/future/story/20160309-why-n ... ber-design
Richard_C

Current: , C4 Picasso 120 BlueHdi, C3 1.2 Auto
Past Citroens: Dyane (x2), 2CV, Visa, BX (x2), Xantia, Xsara Picasso, C3 (x2) C5 X7 Tourer, Synergie 1.9TD, C1
Others: Hillman Hunter, Cortina Mk 1, Maxi, VW Type 2, Granada, SAAB 900, SAAB 9-5, R5 Gordini