Electric Cars:what's available?

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

NewcastleFalcon

Electric Cars:what's available?

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

If you have come round to thinking I fancy giving electric car "ownership" a try its useful to know what's available so you can do your own sums and see if it works out for you.

The choice as ever is between new, and used and the price you are prepared to pay for your motoring.

For my own motoring needs over the years I have always adopted the bargain basement, D-I-Y maintenance and repair, do lots of miles, scrap it eventually and start the cycle again. My cost/mile includes negligible depreciation and is at a level which is eye-wateringly cheap, compared to going for new, or even the moderate level of used purchase say buying a used for £6,000 and after 4 years or so finding it fetches £2,000 when you have finished with it.

So if you are buying "new" you are going to be paying say 40-50p/mile, used 20-30p/mile, and bargain basement under 20p/mile. If you can afford to go over 50p/mile then don't bother doing any sums just buy what you want :-D .

The entry level to EV's is either new, or moderate level of used. Bargain basement entry is a few years away, when hopefully the spectre of the "replacement battery pack" will have proved to be either over-pessimistic, or cheap replacement cells will be available.

....and while this being the French Car forum, the vast majority of second-hand electric vehicles becoming available in the UK ie Nissan Leafs, Renault Zoe's, Peugeot Ion/Citroen C-Zero etc do have a significant French Connection.
Since 1999, Nissan has been part of the Renault–Nissan Alliance, a partnership between Nissan and French automaker Renault. As of 2013, Renault holds a 43.4% voting stake in Nissan, while Nissan holds a 15% non-voting stake in Renault.
So buy a Nissan Leaf , and you need not feel you have been too unfaithful to the FCF, and you could also support the premier UK electric car maker, and the premier UK investor in battery manufacture.

So it is with little guilt I post up this link to EVSpeak where there are details of a decent quantity of used Nissan Leafs coming onto the market from hand-backs under PCP deals, offered under new PCP deals from as little as £115 deposit and £115/month for a 36 month PCP. I would hope the the PCP arrangement would be "battery included" but haven't asked the question.

https://speakev.com/threads/lots-and-lo ... pcp.41449/

Regards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 21 Oct 2018, 08:42, edited 3 times in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Re: Electric Cars:what's available choices and sums

I would hope the the PCP arrangement would be "battery included" but haven't asked the question.
Have asked the question now and battery is included, and not subject to a "battery lease", under the PCP offers linked to above.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

The New Renault Zoe, including the option of the much-maligned new colour, the interestingly-named but misspelt Ytrium (Yttrium?) Grey is the most widely available EV available in the UK alongside the Leaf.

Its definitely new car buyer stuff though, with its consequent, over 50p/mile financing cost, but you can now buy it outright including batteries, while at the same time, the offer of paying a lower purchase price and engaging in the minefield of a battery lease is still available. You can also choose whether to have the 24kWh battery pack or the new ZE40 battery pack (probably of the order of 41kWh usable capacity) with its consequent extended range.

Renault outlined their New Zoe arrangements in this press release in November 2016.

Renault Zoe arrives in the UK with 250 mile range

Now if ever there was a press release title waiting to be ripped apart, that's a pretty good one!
to be fair they do state this...

"With a 250 mile (NEDC) range, ZOE offers the best range of any mainstream electric vehicle. In real-world driving, Renault estimates the ZOE fitted with the new Z.E.40 battery has a real-world range of between 186 miles in temperate conditions and 124 miles in extreme cold conditions."
On the Battery Purchase/lease
Battery: Lease or buy outright

Regardless of trim level, the ZOE is available to purchase in two ways. Buyers can lease the battery on a monthly basis. Battery lease payments are banded and reflect estimated annual mileage ensuring ZOE drivers only pay for what they need. They start from as little as £49 per month. New for 2017 is the ‘Unlimited’ option, that has no mileage cap, and is priced at £110 per month.

Alternatively, ZOE can be bought outright, including the battery, and therefore have no monthly battery lease payments. Full purchase versions that include the battery are denoted by their trim level names: iExpression, iDynamique Nav and iSignature Nav.
Time to have a paddle around and see what the "Dealers" are offering on the New Zoe.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I'm almost thinking it's about time to create a new area on here especially devoted to electric cars ;)

Called 'French Electrics'

Now there's some connotations to be had :lol:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
bxzx16v
My Cars: Past Frenchies , 4xBx16v,1xBxGti,1xBxTzd,2xZx Volcanes,1xZx reflex,1xPug 405mi16, 3x Xantia 1.9td's,1x Xantia activa, 2x Renault 25 V6 turbo, 1 Zx16v ,1 Pug 406 V6 coupe ,1x C8 , 1x Berlingo van , 1x Xanti 2.1td , 1x Renault Laguna 3

Post by bxzx16v »

Always thought the Renault twizzy looked fun for my four mile commute .

Mark
2009 Landrover Freelander 2 TD4se (killed an Audi) , sadly now gone .
2012 Landrover Freelander 2 SD4 AUTO Love it . Now gone .
2014 Ford Bmax 1.0 Ecoboost Zetec . Fantastic little machine .Gone now.
2014 Ford Focus 2.0 Tdci Zetec S with the French heart.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

bxzx16v wrote:Always thought the Renault twizzy looked fun for my four mile commute .

For that sort of commute no car is needed at all, electric or otherwise... It's perfect for a pushbike or even walking/running if you are not short of time...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

From new car considerations to bargain basement late 90's generation French Electric Vehicles.

Leboncoin has this at an asking price of 1,200 Euros. I give you the google translate version of the details...
Ax in good condition with gray card

Batteries to change (12 golf cart batteries)
Bodywork in good condition but large internal cleaning to do

We advise all persons without knowledge of electric vehicles to get involved in the restarting of this vehicle.
We only sell to a good handyman.
Not a particularly tempting description, but here's what it looks like in the only picture provided, you will have to supply your own microscope!

https://img3.leboncoin.fr/ad-image/d68b ... ee2c83.jpg

Still if you had one and sorted it you would be the only one in the village with one!

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

..Saxo electrique of similar vintage asking price 3.000 euros
Sell ​​Citroen saxo electric 2 seats in perfect condition, There is just the right front bumper rubbed
Cost of 0.02Euro (s) of the km Charge on a single home plug, at a cost of about 0.80 to 1.20 Euro (s) per refill depending on off-peak hours or not. Loading 5 to 6 hours
No batteries rentals Batteries from 2009
I give with the electronic box for the filling (200Euro (s))
Great for making the city
Bit bigger picture than the AX

https://img7.leboncoin.fr/images/535/53 ... 9b8c1a.jpg

regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Re: Electric Cars:what's available

A couple of the famous (or maybe notorious) "Allied Conversions" for Glasgow Council from 2009/10 ish have appeared on e-bay from this dealer who urges you to.....
"Visit us for a test drive"

Vanmango van sales ltd, 38 John Brannan way, unit 17 Darrows industrial est, Glasgow,North Lanarkshire, ML4 3HD
There is a Peugeot Partner Tepee, and also one of these which I haven't previously seen up for sale...

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/oQ0AAOSwb ... -l1600.jpg

Now both look immensely usable vehicles to me, I see camper van possibilities in both....but will most potential buyers be totally scared stiff of the "Allied Conversion" and its range/reliability and fixability/battery life and performance?

Interesting though.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
harryp
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Forte HDI 110 hatch in wicked red, SORN
Exclusive HDI hatch in quartz, SORN
C4 Picasso Exc E, Wifes
Peugeot 207cc

Post by harryp »

Neil, they do look good though don't they.
As you say, would make a lovely camper etc - when the reliability is proven and the range north of 300 miles of real world driving, ROFL.
Although I have never heard of Allied Conversions, I totally agree with the downsides.
Regards, Harry

2000 Nov Forte HDI 110 hatch in Wicked Red; currently SORN
2000 Mar Exclusive HDI hatch in Quartz; currently SORN
2013 C4 Picasso Excl E
Peugeot 207cc 1.6 Roland Garros
NewcastleFalcon

harryp wrote: Although I have never heard of Allied Conversions,

They took part in a scheme with Glasgow City Council which unfortunately ended up in a legal wrangle.

Vehicle firm sues Glasgow over hitch in £1.8m electric car scheme

From time to time the vehicles which formed part of the scheme come up for sale, but a thumb through a couple of threads from batteryvehiclesociety and speakEV are worth going through to make your own assessment of the risks/rewards.

http://www.batteryvehiclesociety.org.uk ... f=3&t=3921

https://speakev.com/threads/allied-e-ex ... ems.13883/

Way back, I kicked off the electric vehicles thread with a converted Triumph Spitfire and those two links on the Allied Conversions.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
harryp
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Forte HDI 110 hatch in wicked red, SORN
Exclusive HDI hatch in quartz, SORN
C4 Picasso Exc E, Wifes
Peugeot 207cc

Post by harryp »

Neil, Saw the Spitfire conversion which whetted my appetite somewhat. Have avidly followed this thread since, which has been very enlightening :wink:
Regards, Harry

2000 Nov Forte HDI 110 hatch in Wicked Red; currently SORN
2000 Mar Exclusive HDI hatch in Quartz; currently SORN
2013 C4 Picasso Excl E
Peugeot 207cc 1.6 Roland Garros
van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
Location: Live & work in London but weekend in Devon (or do I now live in Torbay & work in London?)
My Cars: Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club (quietly sleeping in a parallel universe)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate
others:-
'96 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the "donor"
'99 Jeep Cherokee Orvis - the green one
'97 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the red one
'99 Cadillac Seville STS
'96 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
& numerous what might be described as abandoned projects!

Post by van ordinaire »

Saw a couple of Twizys in Germany - one of which looked well out of its comfort zone but happily buzzing along for all that.

Previously the only one I'd seen, on the road, was being towed by a Transit!
They do quite appeal, they are so ridiculously weird! A worthy successor to the (original) Twingo, undoubtedly the most popular city car in Paris - AND Berlin. (Presumably the Parisienne ones are now cheap as frittes!)
Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club :cry:
'05 C15 :!:
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate [-o<
others:-
Jeep XJ Cherokees x 3 :?
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
'99 Cadillac STS :|
& the numerous "abandoned projects" #-o
NewcastleFalcon

Richard W reported spotting one of these on the road....

https://www.mercedes-benz.inchcape.co.u ... a-2769343/

I think from the blurb its 100% electric, although couldn't find much about range and battery, but i may just have missed it. Nice spec though, and quite a saving on new.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

bxzx16v wrote:Always thought the Renault twizzy looked fun for my four mile commute .

If it's not raining - the windows are an optional extra and are held closed with velcro tape when fitted! :rofl2:

If you want a 50mph golf cart that is road legal, the twizzy is just what you're looking for. :lol:

Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive