The Pickled Egg Library

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: The Pickled Egg Library

Post by CitroJim »

white exec wrote:It still annoys me, years on, when playing with our Mexican Train Dominoes that they couldn't have got the colour order right. Black...brown...red...orange etc etc. would have been so much nicer.
Exactly. That code is so heavily imprinted on me it comes totally naturally to relate those colours to their numbers....

I'm having trouble getting used to the new resistor colour code and often have to put an AVO on a resistor to be sure. I guess you did that regularly Peter... Must have been tricky for you setting up the old-school colour tellies or did you use a reference card?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I didn't know they had a new resistance code, mind you I have been retired for 12 years. There are ways and means of getting round the problem.

Initially I had trouble with rubber flex because the red and green looked exactly the same to me, OK if you were changing something with one end still connected but when fitting a new flex as we often did, I had to go into the shop and ask someone what colour wire I was holding then grasp it tightly until I got back into the workshop.

Resistors weren't to bad except things like 1 meg and 1k or 100 ohms, last band looked the same colour. I have a rack of drawers in my workshop with two divisions in each and a dymo tape label on the front, which worked fine providing I put them in the right drawer.

Colour TV did initially cause a problem, I could set the grey OK with blue and green but the red was a problem, I would deliver a set and shortly thereafter receive a phone call saying that everyone's faces were green, so I would adjust the red in front of the customer until they were happy, but I found an answer to that.

If when setting them up on the bench I turned the red up until I could see it, then turned it down until I just couldn't, that was fine, never had another problem.

I don't even have a problem with traffic lights now because although the red and amber look the same, with the modern LED lights the green looks blue, very bright blue sometimes, its only the old ones with bulbs in that look a bit green - when I am close enough.

Peter
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

white exec wrote:It still annoys me, years on, when playing with our Mexican Train Dominoes that they couldn't have got the colour order right. Black...brown...red...orange etc etc. would have been so much nicer.
Never played Mexican Train Dominoes but according to the box its the World's most Famous Domino Game. :-D

Regards Neil

They do look colourful but I wonder if they could be just a little bit too exciting for regular PE Domino crowd.

Regards
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 10 Dec 2016, 18:25, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

The 'new' code uses the same basic colours for the figures Peter but the way the bands are read to determine the multiplier is now different... It now has four bands plus tolerance rather than the three plus tolerance we both grew up with...

So, when the new mains wiring colour codes came in that was a blessing for you then!

I always used to set up colour TVs using sight alone and I love your technique! I found my own technique of adjusting it until it looked right was as good as any other... As you say, if the customer didn't like it you could tweak it for their taste! Back in the day it was so critical to get the greyscale right as so much programming was still in black and white. Remember the old 'Colour Killer' circuit to switch off the decoder when the programme was in black and white to avoid coloured artefacts appearing on screen?

I know what you mean about modern traffic lights... I wear special glasses when cycling and those can make some green traffic lights distinctly blue!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: They do look colourful but I wonder if they could be just a little bit too exciting for regular PE Domino crowd.

:rofl2:

I could never imagine them getting rowdy and disturbing my reading Neil!!!

Do you know, I've never played dominoes in my life and don't understand how to bar you have to match them somehow...

I'm not a gamesy sort me. Not active enough.. I tried to learn to play chess once and then bridge.. I failed miserably at both as I just can't sit still long enough. Maybe running chess and cycling bridge might work for me...

Sitting immobile at a table staring at cards or game pieces definitely does not :roll:
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

CitroJim wrote: I could never imagine them getting rowdy and disturbing my reading Neil!!!
If you get a whiff of something argricultural when reading Jim don't worry, its probably Jack Fowler the Bedford coal merchant's horse Sam :-D

Regards Neil

That pic was from 1937 from the Balloon Inn Bedford....odd name but Bedford has a bit of a connection with balloons.
....This was the pub in 2015
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Yes Jim the new wiring codes for mains flex/cable were brilliant - except when it came to multi core cables, then the old problem re surfaced.

Peter
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

So is the Black,Brown and Grey indistinguishable? That had never crossed my mind, what a shame.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

CitroJim wrote:
Exactly. That code is so heavily imprinted on me it comes totally naturally to relate those colours to their numbers....

I'm having trouble getting used to the new resistor colour code and often have to put an AVO on a resistor to be sure. I guess you did that regularly Peter... Must have been tricky for you setting up the old-school colour tellies or did you use a reference card?
I can't see the little buggers to identify the resistance - every one has to go on the AVO meter :(
Used to be that just a glance would do - those were the days.
NewcastleFalcon

myglaren wrote: every one has to go on the AVO meter :(
..after having removed it from the brown leather carring case :!: :-D

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Of course as you may have suspected The Pickled Egg does have a selection of Patent submissions/approvals from around the Globe. This illustration from one submitted by Donald MacAdie in the 1920's was lying on the dominoes table and may be of interest to the current discussion :-D

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

I have an AVO exactly like that one Neil, if it's an AVO MKIII that this... It's a quite scruffy one I use in the workshop...

Sadly I don't have the leather case :(

I also have an AVO 8 MK VI (a relatively late one) I use for my electronics/wireless activities...

An AVO is an essential tool and any engineers of my generation and earlier will have grown up with them and formed a very close attachment to them. I know I have...

'AVO' is a term used to refer to any multimeter much as a 'Hoover' is any vacuum cleaner.. There a word for that but it escapes me at the moment...
Jim

Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

elma wrote:So is the Black,Brown and Grey indistinguishable? That had never crossed my mind, what a shame.
It depends on the shade, things of a different colour and very different shades I can see, but I have never seen for instance a field of poppies, pick one and hold it in front of me and I can see its red, drop it in the grass and it disappears .

Peter
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Peter.N. wrote: It depends on the shade, things of a different colour and very different shades I can see, but I have never seen for instance a field of poppies, pick one and hold it in front of me and I can see its red, drop it in the grass and it disappears .
That's amazing Peter, I just can't imagine that and feel so sad for you as you have missed out on so much beauty in this world :(

I found the word I was was looking for.. Using the word AVO to refer to any multimeter is known as a proprietary eponym...
Jim

Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

The strange thing is Jim that I don't realise I have, I can see yellows and blues OK and red and green if there is enough of it and its bright enough but I still see enough colour to enjoy it. The rainbow is a typical example, all I can see are shades of yellow and blue but it still looks beautiful.

Peter