Original reversing camera for RT6 - Citroen C5 X7 2015

This unit is the eMyWay system, also referred to as RT6, RNEG2, or WIPNAV+ for the Peugeot platform and made by Magneti Marelli.
Main Features: The eMyWay colour satellite navigation has high resolution mapping, Bluetooth Telephone & Audio Streaming supported profiles, USB support for Media files & CD

Moderator: GiveMeABreak

alx6ths
My Cars: C5 III (X7) 2.2 HDi 204k (150kW) Tourer

Original reversing camera for RT6 - Citroen C5 X7 2015

Post by alx6ths »

Hi,
i bought my new C5 X7 2015 recently, but while it has almost all i need, it is missing the reversing camera which i was used to in my previous C5.
The multimedia system is RT6, which should have the camera option and i would like to install the original camera.
There is a plastic cover at the place where original camera is normaly placed, unfortunately the original cabling is missing inside the trunk lid.
At the back of the RT6, the appropriate pins 1 and 7 are installed and wires going out.
I did try to test the video input by using the diagbox and i also tried to connect aftermarket universal camera i had. The display showed black screen, with coloured parking lines and a informative text. And thats it, no picture from the connected camera.

So, iam asking for any idea or help in this issue or any hint how to connect the original reversing camera to my RT6.

Thanks a lot.
Last edited by alx6ths on 21 Sep 2016, 11:50, edited 1 time in total.
Libor
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: Original reversing camera for RT6 - Citroen C5 X7 RT6

Post by GiveMeABreak »

In order for it to work, you have to ensure the correct Obstacle Detection ECU is installed on the car. There are different units depending on whether you have parking sensors for the Rear only, Front and Rear, Rear and Camera, Front, Rear & Camera etc. You can't just plug in the camera and expect it to work. You'll also need to check the configuration options are set correctly in the Head Unit ECU (RT6) for the correct parking assistance options. You'll need somebody with a Lexia / Diagbox to do that unless you have your own kit.

If you post up or PM your VIN, I'll be able to check what ECU you have in your C5 for you.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
vborovic
Locked user account
My Cars: A used Citroen

Post by vborovic »

alx6ths wrote:The multimedia system is RT6, which should have the camera option and i would like to install the original camera.
Not necessarily ... if you can, pull the unit out of the dash to check it's top label, what the manufacture date is ... if it is a 2012/2013 (old stocks were still put in newer cars), then the unit doesn't have the hardware for the camera image, there are 2-3 revisions of the unit, only the later ones allow for the camera image to be displayed.
alx6ths

Post by alx6ths »

Thanks for the replies
GiveMeABreak wrote:In order for it to work, you have to ensure the correct Obstacle Detection ECU is installed on the car. There are different units depending on whether you have parking sensors for the Rear only, Front and Rear, Rear and Camera, Front, Rear & Camera etc. You can't just plug in the camera and expect it to work. You'll also need to check the configuration options are set correctly in the Head Unit ECU (RT6) for the correct parking assistance options. You'll need somebody with a Lexia / Diagbox to do that unless you have your own kit.

If you post up or PM your VIN, I'll be able to check what ECU you have in your C5 for you.
Of course i didn't expect to work it just pluging in the camera :) I did changed the settings in BSI - enable the camera and in Telematics (RT6) - set the front and rear sensors with space measuring + camera. As i wrote in the initial post, i did try the reverse camera in the actuator tests and the result was as described:
https://goo.gl/photos/6adxfY5TeA1mdGSUA
settings in BSI:
https://goo.gl/photos/Q4R5MAFY9dZBNfHW9
VIN placed in the PM

vborovic wrote:
alx6ths wrote:The multimedia system is RT6, which should have the camera option and i would like to install the original camera.
Not necessarily ... if you can, pull the unit out of the dash to check it's top label, what the manufacture date is ... if it is a 2012/2013 (old stocks were still put in newer cars), then the unit doesn't have the hardware for the camera image, there are 2-3 revisions of the unit, only the later ones allow for the camera image to be displayed.
There is 2014/10/30 on the label
https://goo.gl/photos/fGWjh3pY5qUUcRxk9
Libor
vborovic
Locked user account

Post by vborovic »

I haven't done this for a while, but from memory, there is a setting in the BSI (maybe under Parking Aid on the 2nd picture), where you have a nice list of parking help options: none, rear only, rear + front, rear + front + space measurement, reverse camera only, reverse + front sensors ... maybe a few more combinations ... the 2014+ RT6 models should be reverse camera compatible, but that's anyone's guess (unless you dismantle the unit and know what you're looking for, additional chips are present on the board).

The parking camera combination needs to be explicitly set, what you have the 2nd photo is only half of it.
alx6ths

Post by alx6ths »

vborovic wrote:The parking camera combination needs to be explicitly set, what you have the 2nd photo is only half of it.
yep, you are right, i currently don't have the photo of the screen in Telematics settings you are talking about. But i did set that as well. I don't remember the exact formulation of that option, but it is something like front+rear parking sensors with space measurement + reversing camera. something like that. It is last option of the list.

Still o do think, that even if this setting is not correct, i should get the video picture from camera in the actuator test, or you think not?

There are two things iam thinking about.
First, there are already two wires comming out of the main connector, part B, pins 1 and 7. Where they goes? I assume, they are ending at one of the connectors behind the dashboard. But maybe there is something connected and possibly grounded... ? And thats why i don't get the video signal to RT6 unit to show on LCD. Just a guess, maybe stupid :wink:
Second, what paramaters of the camera is necessary to work? There is maybe difference between the original camera and cameras i tried (two different aftermarket china cameras, but probably very similar).

Maybe new firmware of my RT6 unit will help? My current version is RNEG2.80.E.2
(There is lot more numbres: https://goo.gl/photos/bPuxhVZPXDjHGxWX7)
Libor
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

You haven't said why the camera did not come with the car - odd, but you have the correct Parking Assistance ECU (6590 EC or EE) that supports the Camera.
Whilst you are checking the configuration again, here's the wiring for you to check:
72B0 & 72B1 go from the Camera to the back of your Head Unit - as you've said on pins 7 & 1. Z14B goes to the BSI - should be into a 16 Pin Black Connector as seen in the second picture - so worth checking if that wire is there or not. The green is your earth.

I would certainly get your firmware updated first though - always a good idea.
X7 Camera Diag1.png
X7 Camera Diag2.png

Marc
alx6ths

Post by alx6ths »

Oh well, it was used car, so i had no chance to choose the things. Thats why there is no camera installed... unfotunately.
Let's talk about connection. Pin 1, wire 72B0, is video positive signal which is the middle pin of the usual universal camera Cinch connector. Pin 7, wire 72B1, is video negative signal, which should be the outer pole of that cinch, this is normally earth, minus, in this case signal earth. Pin 3, wire M7523, is the earth. Pin 4, wire Z14B, is marked as CAN+, and this should be the +12V fo the camera.

So, in case the camera will work and iam going to install the original camera, i have to do the wiring myself, because there is original wiring missing anyway.
At least from the dashboard where should be the connector IC91:
and
GiveMeABreak wrote:I would certainly get your firmware updated first though - always a good idea.
I would like to, but iam afraid to do that. I've read that there may be issues with handsfree and other things... and also i don't want to lost the language etc. :)
Libor
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Firmware updates won't change any of your settings - it will keep the language as it was. The updates usually fix any bugs so I would definitely start with this, so that you know you have the latest software before starting this job.

Just be careful splicing the wiring - double check the ID on the wiring sleeves, as it has been known that the pin numbers don't always correspond to the wiring diagrams! I've found that out myself.

Marc
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

I'm watching this with interest. We've just bought a Peugeot 308SW and although I wanted an Allure level a 2015 Active came up at the right price. But of course the equipment level is lower and, in particular, it's missing the front sensors and rear camera.

Looking at what's been written so far I would imagine that as well as the obvious camera and sensors I'll need a different ECU and any wiring that's different. And that's before delving in with a Diagbox.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
vborovic
Locked user account

Post by vborovic »

Just don't get your hopes up too much, what you're doing now I attempted 2 years ago ... and at last decided to go with an alternative route by using a video interface device, since the genuine setup was not attainable with all the proper parts (the RT6 didn't have the hardware to pull it off, which might be true even in your case)
alx6ths

Post by alx6ths »

vborovic wrote:(the RT6 didn't have the hardware to pull it off, which might be true even in your case)
iam afraid of that :(
have anyone of you read this?
http://www.planete-citroen.com/forum/sh ... tcount=162
Libor
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

alx6ths wrote:
vborovic wrote:(the RT6 didn't have the hardware to pull it off, which might be true even in your case)
iam afraid of that :(
have anyone of you read this?
http://www.planete-citroen.com/forum/sh ... tcount=162
Well there you have it then - a different version - although yours ends in 'CL' - so many versions - quite ridiculous, at least with the NG4 you know exactly what you are getting!

Marc
alx6ths

Re: Original reversing camera for RT6 - Citroen C5 X7 2015

Post by alx6ths »

Yep, it is not clear, mine is 98083776CL, so iam stil not sure if it is capable or not. So far it looks likte it does, but informations are unsure :(
Libor
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: Original reversing camera for RT6 - Citroen C5 X7 2015