Picture(s) of the day....

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

NewcastleFalcon

Picture(s) of the day....

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Heard this on the radio this morning, and thought it must be April fools day. Ponies to be painted in an attempt to reduce the number of accidents involving collisions with the ponies roaming free on Dartmoor.

Well here's the evidence

Apparently taken from an idea in Finland where Reindeer antlers were similarly painted to reduce accidents.

Living in the sticks, the unfenced road, and rural roads in general, wandering livestock/deer/badgers/foxes/hares/rabbits/pheasants/pigeons is a commonplace hazard which you just treat as normal. Mind you one time I got stopped by the police in the pitch dark and was advised that there was a cow escaped from a field on the road up ahead, and to drive with caution. Good job I did as this seemingly enormous black beast loomed into my headlights as I drove around a corner. I think Luton's finest would have come off second in any clash.

regards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 02 Dec 2018, 16:30, edited 55 times in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Re: Picture(s) of the day

Post by daviemck2006 »

Put hi viz vests on them[emoji23]

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

I thought they were painting pictures of the ponies by the road to put them in your mind so you slow down. Painting the actual ponies is crazy, the cars are already painted and they still crash. Cows destroy vehicles, my friend bumped one in a Black Cab. The insurance wouldn't pay out as they didn't believe he hit a Cow.
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

daviemck2006 wrote:Put hi viz vests on them[emoji23]
In the New Forest, many ponies wear reflective collars. It can be creepy to see a "floating" ring coming out of the bushes but it works as intended. Unfortunately, there are idiots that will happily speed through the area and/or hit and run if they collide with an animal, often leaving them to die a slow and painful death.
NewcastleFalcon

today 21st October 2015 this could be an appropriate picture of the day

or seeing as its Trafalgar Day today how about this?

regards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 07 Jan 2017, 21:43, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
NewcastleFalcon

Along with 4 NSU Quickly's, a bit of one of these in bits appeared in a neighbour father's garage clear out.

I'm sure there will be someone who knows straight away the name of the bit i am referring to. Yet another good name from a Company whose naming of products I have always appreciated.

So what is it?

Regards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 07 Jan 2017, 21:44, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I used to have an NSU Quickly or three when I was a youngster and was my first motorised vehicle... Happy memories...

The bike in the picture is not a Cyclemaster but is similar.. Is it a Winged Wheel?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

CitroJim wrote:I used to have an NSU Quickly or three when I was a youngster and was my first motorised vehicle... Happy memories...

The bike in the picture is not a Cyclemaster but is similar.. Is it a Winged Wheel?
Thats the one Jim :!: Just noticed the advert I selected at random is from the USA. Did BSA conquer America like the Beatles and One Direction :-D

Regards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 08 Jan 2017, 09:03, edited 2 times in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Wow! Delighted to have got that one :D

My dad ran Cyclemasters when I was little. He then went to Quicklys and ended his motorbiking days on a Honda C70 after a spell with a Honda C50 which became mine at 17... I also had his C70 a couple of years later and passed my bike test on it...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

CitroJim wrote:Wow! Delighted to have got that one :D

My dad ran Cyclemasters when I was little. He then went to Quicklys and ended his motorbiking days on a Honda C70 after a spell with a Honda C50 which became mine at 17... I also had his C70 a couple of years later and passed my bike test on it...
bearing in mind the "clutchless" discussion on the "bleed nipple" thread the C50 et al name check is quite appropriate.

Is your Motorbike Licence restricted to Automatics only Jim?
(Wiki)
The sequential shifting three speed gearbox was manually shifted, but clutchless, without the need for a clutch lever control, using instead a centrifugal clutch along with a plate clutch slaved to the footchange lever to engage and disengage the gearbox from the engine. While not intuitive to learn, once the rider got used to it, the semi-automatic transmission, "took the terror out of motorcycling" for novice riders.[23] Unlike many scooter CVTs, the centrifugal clutch made it possible to push start the Super Cub, a useful advantage if the need arose.[13]
regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: Is your Motorbike Licence restricted to Automatics only Jim?
No, it was so long ago that it's the full one.. Allows me to ride any motorbike, even now... Not that I will any more.. Riding powered bikes hold no interest now. The only bikes I love riding are those I power myself!

In fact the day I passed my test on the C70 I came home and immediately got on my Suzuki T500 I'd been busy restoring ready for the day I passed the test..

Back in those days the test was a bit easier than it is now... 5 laps between two roundabouts and an emergency stop down a side road..
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

Might as well let the cyclemaster in on picture of the day :-D

250 MPG and 20MPH!
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 08 Jan 2017, 09:04, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

That cyclemaster is lovely Neil :-D 8-) Thanks for posting up that, brought back a few memories...

That's a chunky old pushbike it's in.. I believe it was a frame especially designed for the job although any reasonably meaty frame would accommodate the Cyclemaster...

There was another class of pushbike 'helpers' around at the same time, small engines that sat above the front wheel and drove it through a friction roller...

Tyre wear was horrendous!!!

The Cyclemaster and Winged Wheel were vastly superior and in a different league completely..

I believe the Cyclemaster had a 32cc engine...
Jim