Xantia clicking noise/ lights

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

johnacky

Xantia clicking noise/ lights

Post by johnacky »

When my xantia 1.8LX is idiling, it makes a clicking noise every 10 - 20 seconds. Any ideas what this could be?
Also ive just checked the lights, and they dont seem to work. (only just purchased it). Would this be a fuse?
Thanks guys.
np

Post by np »

The clicking noise would be the accumalator.This is found at the front of the engine between the rad.It should click every 2-3 mins.Clicking as it is means it needs changing.(looks like a sphere)I just had mine done as it was clicking every 3 secs.Do a search at the top of page for more info.
What lights dont work??
johnacky

Post by johnacky »

Mines clicking every 8 seconds. Ive only bought it recently, but the guy said it had had the front spears replaced recently.
This may sound a silly question, but what is a spear, and is it an easy do DIY. Also how much are they.
Yep, both the fron an rear lights dont work. I presume this is down to a fuse.
Thanks for the advice!
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

All over your car there will be green globes (about the size of a grapefruit); the two easiest ones to see are on the top of the front suspension mounts each side. Have a look down behind (engine side) of the radiator; you'll see another one. That's the accumulator sphere and the (probable) cause of your rapid tickng. A new one is less than £20, and is easy with the right tool (1 hour-ish). You can fashion a "home-made" version out of a big jubilee clip and a bit of inner tube as well; such methods are well documented on this forum!
Homer

Post by Homer »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by johnacky</i>

Yep, both the fron an rear lights dont work. I presume this is down to a fuse.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I am fairly certain the front lights are on separate fuses. Both may have blown but with the rears out as well it's more likely the switch.[xx(]
uhn113x

Post by uhn113x »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Mines clicking every 8 seconds. Ive only bought it recently, but the guy said it had had the front spears replaced recently.
This may sound a silly question, but what is a spear, and is it an easy do DIY. Also how much are they.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I assume these are all questions ? ? ? [;)]
They are 'spheres' not 'spears'. Spears are pointed things you use to stab previous owners with [}:)] Do not try this at home.
They are green steel globes full of compressed nitrogen that carry out the function of a spring plus damper as on lesser cars. They need replacing on a regular basis as a maintenance item.
There is an accumulator sphere near the front of the engine whose job is to act as a reserve of hydraulic pressure. As others have said, this probably needs replacing. The click comes from a ball valve in the pressure regulator (thing that the acc sphere is attached to)
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">
Yep, both the fron an rear lights dont work. I presume this is down to a fuse.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
As Homer says, probably the switch - makers always avoid using the same fuse for all lights for obvious reasons