2005 Citroen C2 L Electrical Issues

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

L_Downer

2005 Citroen C2 L Electrical Issues

Post by L_Downer »

Help required please!

I have a whole host of electrical (I think!) issues that have developed over the past week or so...

Started with my headlights (dipped beam) turning on and off as they please when the switch on stalk is off. Work as expected when they are turned on.
Then I had Battery Warning Light and 'Electr Circuit Fault' showing on screen, hardwired dashcam does also not turn on when ignition is on now...

Last night driving less than 2 miles a whole host of issues came up on screen:
Electr Circuit Fault
ABS System Fault
Braking System Fault
Seatbelt System Fault
Airbag System Fault

At the same time the dashboard back lighting for the radio died and a bit later I lost power steering and finally the speedo just showed --. The engine was also revving itself up to approx 2000 - 3000 RPM on its own.

It's booked into a garage for next week but want to see if there's anything I can do that will be cheaper!

I'll try and get some pictures of the dash f it happens again, but as I'm not driving it now for obvious reasons this could be hard given the lights don't come on as soon as engine starts!!

Thanks in advance for any help! :)
PaulC5
Donor 2024

Re: 2005 Citroen C2 L Electrical Issues

Post by PaulC5 »

The battery may be flat so I would check its voltage. Before starting the engine first thing it should be about 12.7 volts if fully charged, below about 12.5 volts and it needs charging up.
L_Downer

Post by L_Downer »

PaulC5 wrote: 21 Feb 2024, 12:43 The battery may be flat so I would check its voltage. Before starting the engine first thing it should be about 12.7 volts if fully charged, below about 12.5 volts and it needs charging up.
I have tested that, its hard to tell as I've only got access to an analogue multi-meter, but voltage appears to be well over 12, so seems good? I have also got a trickle charger so worth chucking on that maybe? If I'm being dumb and there's a better way to check I will!

I've also checked continuity on all engine bay fuses as I read online that's a potential issue... all fine there, although haven't done glove box one yet.
wheeler

Post by wheeler »

Battery voltage is not a good indicator of battery health or condition.
What is the voltage at the battery when the engine is running?
L_Downer

Post by L_Downer »

TBC - I'll check this tomorrow!
L_Downer

Post by L_Downer »

wheeler wrote: 21 Feb 2024, 18:30 Battery voltage is not a good indicator of battery health or condition.
What is the voltage at the battery when the engine is running?
Update:
After resting overnight, the voltage read:
12.07V
After turning Car on, it read:
11.61V

I understand this is very low, but could a bad battery really be causing all of the issues I'm having?
wheeler

Post by wheeler »

With the engine running you should be getting over 14 volts. If you are not getting this it sounds more like a charging issue rather than battery. With the engine running (be careful of moving pulleys & belts) can you read the voltage directly on the main positive connection of the battery & the negative lead directly on the alternator casing?
L_Downer

Post by L_Downer »

wheeler wrote: 22 Feb 2024, 10:36 With the engine running you should be getting over 14 volts. If you are not getting this it sounds more like a charging issue rather than battery. With the engine running (be careful of moving pulleys & belts) can you read the voltage directly on the main positive connection of the battery & the negative lead directly on the alternator casing?
Happy to give this a go! Can you explain what you mean by the alternative casing and where I would find this? Thanks! :)
Last edited by L_Downer on 22 Feb 2024, 11:53, edited 1 time in total.
wheeler

Post by wheeler »

I mean the actual metal casing of the alternator. The alternator earths through the casing.
L_Downer

Post by L_Downer »

wheeler wrote: 22 Feb 2024, 11:53 I mean the actual metal casing of the alternator. The alternator earths through the casing.
Sorry, poorly written, now edited, where is the alternator itself in the engine bay? Thanks.
PaulC5
Donor 2024

Post by PaulC5 »

I do not know what engine you have but the alternator will be low down at the left of the front of the engine as you look at it from the front of the car. It will have a drive belt on its pulley that turns it when the engine is running so keep your hands away from the belt (and the fan in case that starts up). If you do not know what an alternator looks like a quick search will help.

If the battery is no good but the alternator is, then the battery voltage will go up to about 14 volts once the engine has been running a bit. It will not stay at this voltage once the engine is stopped though.
L_Downer

Post by L_Downer »

wheeler wrote: 22 Feb 2024, 10:36 With the engine running you should be getting over 14 volts. If you are not getting this it sounds more like a charging issue rather than battery. With the engine running (be careful of moving pulleys & belts) can you read the voltage directly on the main positive connection of the battery & the negative lead directly on the alternator casing?
UPDATE:

Voltages as follows:
Battery when resting: 12.05V
Battery when running: 11.49V
Battery over Alternator when running: 00.31 - 00.55V

Guessing this is implying an alternator issue? Would this be causing all of the other electrical issues I'm currently facing though?

Thanks in advance!
wheeler

Post by wheeler »

Even if the alternator was faulty you should get the same voltage reading (give or take half a volt) at the alternator main positive connection as you do at the battery positive. Are you measuring at the bolted connection of the big thick wire?
L_Downer

Post by L_Downer »

wheeler wrote: 22 Feb 2024, 18:03 Even if the alternator was faulty you should get the same voltage reading (give or take half a volt) at the alternator main positive connection as you do at the battery positive. Are you measuring at the bolted connection of the big thick wire?
I've got positive of multi meter on the positive battery terminal, on the top of a large cylindrical connection. The negative of multi meter is just on the alternator casing.
wheeler

Post by wheeler »

Just confirm you are measuring the positive here?
If you are & still getting no voltage move the negative lead of your meter directly on to the batter negative terminal & see if you get a reading.
Attachments
alt.jpg