Airbag Replacement / Update

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Dave40

Airbag Replacement / Update

Post by Dave40 »

Hello all[:)]
Have completed 1000 miles in the ZX Avantage TD with no problems. It handles very nicely (now I'm used to power steering) on it's new Vredestein Hi-Trac tyres (185/60). Mileage is averageing 45mpg on supermarket diesel.
The MOT is due is December but I'm thinking of doing it sooner so I'm not having to perform any servicing or repairs in the winter.
I've read various threads which talk about Airbags not being an MOT item on 1995 cars (which mine is ...just. Dec 1995) and would appreciate clarification on the matter. The sticker below the drivers door slam plate states that the airbag should be renewed 01/2004 but I don't know if this would have been done as part of the service schedule. The light on the steering wheel comes on & goes off as it should indicating everything is OK with the bag.
I look forward to your words of wisdom[8)]
PowerLee

Post by PowerLee »

Hi
Peugeot Which is the same company as Citroen now say forget about the 10 year lifespan, Its been extended to 15 years.
http://www.peugeotlogic.com/workshop/base/workshop.htm
Pyrotechnics' Lifespan Increased —
Peugeot France has conducted extensive testing on aged airbags and seat belt pre-tensioners. As a result of these tests it was decided that the service life of these devises can be extended by 5 Years without compromising safety. At the time of the introduction of air bags and seat belt pre-tensioners in 1994 it was recommended for all pyrotechnic safety equipment to be replaced after a service life of 10 Years. Peugeot will now guarantee serviceability for 15 years. This new recommendation by the manufacturer applies to all Peugeot models.
monkeyman

Post by monkeyman »

I'm under the impression its gone to 15 years now, so no worries!!!
Dave40

Post by Dave40 »

Thanks for the reassurance guys, lets hope the 'powers that be' take a similar sensible line.
The article on the Peugeot site also answers another question I had regarding wiring under the front passenger seat - pre-tensioners!
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

Airbag is not part of the MOT. Yet.
Even if it does got put in the test, I doubt it would be on age, just correct operation of the warning lights (as per ABS, which doesn't have to actually work - as long as the light appears to do the right thing you get a pass[:D])
uhn113x

Post by uhn113x »

It is possible to build a timer using a 555 chip that would illuminate a red LED for a few seconds when powered up, at a cost of about a quid.
Naturally, this has nothing at all to do with whoopee cushions in the centre of your steering wheel [}:)][:D] Neither am I saying it is infinitely less dangerous than an explosive device.
Verb sap