RT3 question

This is the RT3 unit and was made by Magneti Marelli
The RT3 was available in a few different hardware versions, the later ones supporting MP3 playback. These units had an optical connection to the Display Screen.

Moderator: GiveMeABreak

PG307

RT3 question

Post by PG307 »

What cable is needed to connect a RT3 with an RT3 display?

What does the RT3 display show when its not connected to the radio?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Re: RT3 question

Post by GiveMeABreak »

RT3 motherboard units have an optical fibre links for the management of the Colour screen versions. There are Monochrome versions of the RT3 and these screens / head units are not interchangeable.

The connection is part of the fascia harness.

The RT3 would probably not show anything if not connected.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
PG307

Post by PG307 »

Is there a cable like this https://de.aliexpress.com/item/10050044 ... ry_from%3A for the RT3 or this https://a.d-cd.net/YAqqlLU7q8PEIC1LmaiGM4s6xwY-960.jpg.
I just want to know, if it displays (time,date, temperature and door status) like MFD display over the 12 pin connector.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

That's no good looking at cables like that -it means nothing as to whether it is compatible or will work. I don't understand what you are trying to do, but if trying to retro-fit an RT3, you need the correct vehicle electronic architecture VAN / CAN or full CAN as there are different versions, plus the correct wiring harness and correct screen and configuration / VIN coding.

Data displayed includes for the colour version:

This displays the following information, via the RT3 audio/telephone control panel:
- the time,
- the date,
- the outside temperature (if there is a risk of ice, you are warned by a message),
- the audio source displays (radio, CD, ...),
- the telematic system displays (telephone, services, ...),
- the status of the accesses (doors, boot, ...),
- the warning messages (e.g.: "Fuel level low") and vehicle function status messages (e.g.: "Automatic headlamp lighting activated") dis- played temporarily,
- the trip computer display,
- the satellite navigation system displays.

Marc
PG307

Post by PG307 »

Im not trying to retrofit an RT3. Im trying to replace my MFD display (no original radio present) with the color display of the RT3 (with no RT3 radio/headunit). So I wanna use the 12 pin connector that the MFD display is hooked up on on the 12 pin port of the RT3 display. I don't think the 12 pin MDF connector fits into the 12 pin port of the RT3 the two optical ports might be in the way. Is the 12 pin out of the MFD wired the same as the 12 pin port on the RT3?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

These are all completely different, as the displays are designed for the specific Head Units, and have their own internal ECUs, so probably won't work. If it was that easy they would use the same screen for all the systems, and they don't - there are different versions for each system.

You say you don't have an original Head Unit, so they won't work without in any case.

Marc
PG307

Post by PG307 »

Ok I see.