Nearly.

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Nearly.

Post by Gibbo2286 »

On Friday evening approaching a roundabout I nearly collided with a car I hadn't seen, thought he must have come from the right while my chatty passenger was rabbiting on braked quite hard, she said "Was that your fault?"
Kept thinking why hadn't I seen him so today downloaded the dash cam to the computer and watched the video, the reason I didn't see him was the dolt had come from behind screamed into the roundabout overtaking me then turned left across my path. :shock:
I'll bet if I'd hit him he would said "These old drivers should be off the road."
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Re: Nearly.

Post by mickthemaverick »

Don't suppose he was driving a German car by any chance? :-D
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Post by myglaren »

Dashcams are well worth having. Mine certainly made the collision with my Civic undeniably the third parties fault.
Not only that but she accused my son of ranting at her whereas the dashcam recorded just the opposite, he was perfectly calm and the first thing he said was to ask if she was OK.

Insuring the new car one question was if I had a dashcam.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Time I got one. I use one all the time on my bikes and wouldn't ride without one. Maybe a little Christmas treat :)

I've seen exactly what happened to you Eric and invariably one of the 'usual suspect' cars... Also, one danger I've noted on some cars, German especially, is how the DRLs can hide the front indicators or, even worse, imitate them when glanced at due to modern headlights seemingly radiating a variety of colours depending on the viewing angle. This can be bloody dangerous on roundabouts...

You had a lucky escape Eric and Steve, your experience shows the value of dashcams.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

The deed is done. Dashcam purchased :) As I trust them, I've gone for a Garmin...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Post by myglaren »

I think mine is wrecked. I took the card out to download to the laptop to send to the insurers, the adapter I found already had a micro USB card in it, so just swapped them, but it didn't go where it should have into the camera, doesn't work and is inaccessible. Bugger. Maybe Santa will bring a new one
Only a cheap one donated by my eldest son, he bought a newer, posher much more expensive one that is no better.
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Mine's only a cheapo Chinese thing but it seems to do the job, plugged into the ciggie lighter, I've been considering getting one properly wired in, Halfords keep sending me offers at all sorts of prices.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

I don't know what all the fuss is about, it's not as if it's a new idea: :-D
MTMO
MTMO
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Frames from my cam.
Attachments
MOVI1732 - frame at 0m45s.jpg
MOVI1732 - frame at 0m44s.jpg
MOVI1732 - frame at 0m43s.jpg
MOVI1732 - frame at 0m42s.jpg
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Mine is also a cheap version Gibbo but I think yours has slightly better night vision. Mine would not show much beyond the back of the car but the day vision is ok as exhibited by my recent E Type video here!! :)
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

I did think about trying to use my Cycliq Fly bike camera in the car but the mounting of it was always going to be the difficulty...

If cars came with a standard quarter-turn Garmin mount it would have been easy!
Jim