Citroen c3 picasso

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Huskyxantia
Donor 2023

Re: Citroen c3 picasso

Post by Huskyxantia »

After a scan I've a fault code. F4C4 Engine oil pressure.
Haven't done the oil pressure test due to me not wanting to run the engine for obvious reasons
Husky. :?
Huskyxantia
Donor 2023

Post by Huskyxantia »

Might be handy
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

Despite this being built in Jan 2012 and reg in March 2012 turns out this has the earlier 16V engine.... The oil pressure switch Marc gave you a part no for, is a single wire effort looking at it elsewhere on line - so low oil pressure only. So I've no idea where the high oil pressure warning is coming from!!
Richard W
Huskyxantia
Donor 2023

Post by Huskyxantia »

RichardW wrote: 17 Dec 2023, 08:59 Despite this being built in Jan 2012 and reg in March 2012 turns out this has the earlier 16V engine.... The oil pressure switch Marc gave you a part no for, is a single wire effort looking at it elsewhere on line - so low oil pressure only. So I've no idea where the high oil pressure warning is coming from!!
Now you can see my problem
Huskyxantia
Donor 2023

Post by Huskyxantia »

This afternoon ive had a couple of hours tinkering looks like my injector clamp bolts may need a slight tighten up we have pooling of oil going on , vacuum is fine rocker cover is fine tappets all nice and clean with new oil no mucky sludge stuff anywhere , looking more like the oil sensor or is it switch, (tomatoes or tomarto its all codswallop,) is or have come to the end of its service life. More to follow. Maybe one day i might even be able to spell too.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

That's starting to sound very promising Husky :) As regards pooling of oil, is it just confined to the injector nearest the oil filler cap? As said earlier, my cap is not the most wonderful of tight fits and there was a bit of oil around it on the rocker cover and a bit of damp that had spread down to the nearest injector. Could have been a careless servicing person refilling the engine after an oil change.. I've cleaned it up and now keeping an eye on it...

Will you still remove the sump and look at the strainer or just go with a new sensor now...

I'd be very tempted to rig up a temporary oil pressure gauge just to be sure...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Huskyxantia
Donor 2023

Post by Huskyxantia »

Hi , Jim . I'm still going to remove the sump as and when time and weather permits , i have the the parts well just waiting for the oil pressure sensor switch to arrive , im seeing videos regarding the wrong oil filter so have asked in the parts section for a part number as to rule this out on mine, and yes the oil pools near the jnjectors look part spillage and part diesel ive put some rags in each pool to soak this up then i will be doing up them hex headed bolts a tad more, did this on my xsara picasso 2 years ago worked a treat tight but not over tight, my oil filler cap is a tight fit so no worrys there, best get a new one Jim for yours there cheap enough on ebay. I will get some photos of the sump coming off tomorrow fingers cross .
Regarding the injector leak issue , get them bolts checked soon as you can as the diesel soon gets black and messy . Mine are not chuffing so thats a good sign. More to follow.
Huskyxantia
Donor 2023

Post by Huskyxantia »

Oil filter 1109AY .. looks like I've got the correct one in mine. Another tick of the check list, i reckon my lifter mesh is clogged
Hence oil pressure warning one dash , this means the pressure switch works so i might not need my new one, will keep if needed. Thank you to marc for all the part numbers when i meed them.
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Post by mickthemaverick »

I had the same 'chuffing' fault, accompanied by oil smell in the cabin, on my 2.2 C5 when I first bought it. Just nipped up the injector clamp, No 3 I believe, and no further trouble for the entire time I had the car, around 3 years I think! :)
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
Huskyxantia
Donor 2023

Post by Huskyxantia »

First i cleaned all round the injectors , i then checked the clamp bolts they were lose ! i know these don't get pounded up masses but they were to lose so i nipped up 3 the one near the fuel filter housing was good. I then put everything back air box & pipe wise to be able to start the car. I then got an engine fault come up on the dash to which i replied oh p off. I got the car up on the ramps, them drained the oil again. While this drained time for a cuppa, then back to it removing all these 8mm bolts with my small gun was pretty quick, even moving the awkward bolt with the hex head was a breeze this allowed the sump to be moved completely away from the engine , no need to remove my dpf or anything related to it. Now with a clear view of the lifter i saw that my mesh was bloody clean as a whistle. Very piffed i was too. Ive half cleaned the joint face on the bottom of the engine but felt very sick so I've thrown up and called it a day. This is now looking like the oil pressure sensor switch could be knackered. The sump was clean no crud in it so that was something to smile about, its obvious the oil pump is working because the oil was black and its only been in the car for a few days , plus the tappets and so on were coated in oil. Ive bent my sump lip as to break the seal so have a new on on its way for less then 25quid from an ebay seller ive used a lot. More to follow, hopefully not from my stomach lol
Attachments
20231218_090903.jpg
20231218_090914.jpg
20231218_091058.jpg
20231218_100529.jpg
20231218_100543.jpg
Huskyxantia
Donor 2023

Post by Huskyxantia »

Photo one before last , silly pice of metal that sits around the bottom of the sump and bolts to the lower engine with 2 16mm bolts , will it go back on ? Well I've seen some without it.
Huskyxantia
Donor 2023

Post by Huskyxantia »

Referring back to the Engine fault error message on the screen when i started the car to drive up my ramps , I did a scan and took these photos of the findings & there is no stored codes regarding oil pressure now. Anyone work out the findings in the photos. As regards the oil pressure sensor switch where is it is it on the oil filter housing or near the intercooler end ?
20231218_151939.jpg
20231218_152114.jpg
20231218_152219.jpg
20231218_152954.jpg
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Bloody annoying to do all that work and find the strainer as clean as a whistle Husky :( I feel your pain...

Good jib you found those loose injector clamps when you did...

And fingers crossed the EGR issue will only be a transitory one...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

Dunno what that bracket is about, don't remember it on mine; maybe it's a later engine thing (ours was 07). Ours also had 2 studs which had a built in shoulder that pulled the sump off when they were unscrewed. I'd just clear the faults and see if they come back. Oil pressure switch appears to be screwed in the front of the block, somewhere to the belt side of the oil filter. Hopefully it is not behind the DPF...
Richard W
Huskyxantia
Donor 2023

Post by Huskyxantia »

The bracket is a nuisance because oil gets trapped in the gap between sump and bracket when doing oil changes . I will more then likely put it back on its just 2 bolts. One goes into a cutout on the part.