Peugeot 5008 2018 eolys additiv question

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Roberts R

Peugeot 5008 2018 eolys additiv question

Post by Roberts R »

Hello everyone. I have a question about resetting the eolys additiv amount on the ECU. You see that the problem I have is that I don't have a diagbox or non other obd scanners that could pull this off. There fire I think I'm going to order one since my stealership asks 200eur for this in my opinion not complicated job. I have the error p1434 and using the cheap obd scanners I found that car thinks that it have 500ml of additiv left in that damn fap tank. Anyways I took it off and the tank was empty. Ordered new tank cause I believe that the code I have is for a broken pump or something and ordered 1l of eolys. The question is can I fill up the new tank, put it on the car and just clear p1434 code and then drive until I get the obd scanners like lexia 3 and then when I reset it just set it for 800 or 900ml instead of a one liter?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Re: Peugeot 5008 2018 eolys additiv question

Post by GiveMeABreak »

You don't specify quantities, you just reset the additive to zero in the engine ECU settings or the repair menu of Diagbox. Beware that you will need Diagbox V9.** as Version 7 is too early for this year. You will need a laptop capable of virtualisation too if using the VMware version of the software.

I suggest you do the whole thing at the same time (meaning when you have topped up the tank, reset the additive counter). Also another thing to be aware of is that you will need to initialise the additive pump when installing it with the diagnostic software and it may even need other operations undertaken if it's a multiplexed pump as this is a later vehicle.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Roberts R

Post by Roberts R »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 22 Oct 2023, 22:19 You don't specify quantities, you just reset the additive to zero in the engine ECU settings or the repair menu of Diagbox. Beware that you will need Diagbox V9.** as Version 7 is too early for this year. You will need a laptop capable of virtualisation too if using the VMware version of the software.

I suggest you do the whole thing at the same time (meaning when you have topped up the tank, reset the additive counter). Also another thing to be aware of is that you will need to initialise the additive pump when installing it with the diagnostic software and it may even need other operations undertaken if it's a multiplexed pump as this is a later vehicle.
Well it just couldn't been plug n play part with a simple service reset or even better with a level sensor and when filled it could automatically learn that the gap fluid is there :D

But thanks for your response, I'm going to try to figure it out how to adapt that new pump and reset the counters.

Interesting that I did not get any fap fluid low message or something like that.

Also before I got Peugeot 308 2.0hdi 2014 and then the fap pump failed as well then the there was no message or anything also. Just when removed it was empty and maybe since it was running empty the pump died I don't know. Anyways then at the time I just bought a used one from a crashed car and I just fill that one up and put it in place, however did not do any adaption or anything and the error just went away, then after about 30000km sold the car without any warning sign or anything coming up.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Ok, so the reason you may not have gotten a message about the low additive level is very likely to be that a previous owner or mechanic has reset the additive counter WITHOUT putting any fluid in and therefore because the level is estimated by the engine ECU, it would not have been aware the level was low.

Some people do this to get rid of the warning for annual tests or when they intend selling it and do not want to cough up money to have it topped up.

As for a physical measuring method, I agree 100% that the design is flawed and that they should all have physical measuring devices installed.

Marc
Roberts R

Post by Roberts R »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 23 Oct 2023, 09:49 Ok, so the reason you may not have gotten a message about the low additive level is very likely to be that a previous owner or mechanic has reset the additive counter WITHOUT putting any fluid in and therefore because the level is estimated by the engine ECU, it would not have been aware the level was low.

Some people do this to get rid of the warning for annual tests or when they intend selling it and do not want to cough up money to have it topped up.

As for a physical measuring method, I agree 100% that the design is flawed and that they should all have physical measuring devices installed.

So I changed the FAP tank also added 1l of eolys. The tank stated that it is 1.1l so I believe that I should be fine. Started the car and there still is a check engine light with a code P1434. I don't have a diagbox or any other obd scanner to reset the counter. The question is could the check engine light go away by it self after a bit of driving and the new pump could start running even though the counter is not reset and the pump is not initialised

I don't have the diagbox I will try to sort this stuff out but for now I would like to know if it's safe to drive the car. Thanks!
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

No, it is a REQUIREMENT that the engine ECU additive counter be reset. Otherwise the same thing will happen, in that it won't know it has been topped up and will still think the tank is empty and flag up the warnings.

If you leave it too long before resetting, then it may trigger a backup mode. So it shouldn't take long to do by anyone who has Diagbox.

Marc
Roberts R

Post by Roberts R »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 25 Oct 2023, 18:11 No, it is a REQUIREMENT that the engine ECU additive counter be reset. Otherwise the same thing will happen, in that it won't know it has been topped up and will still think the tank is empty and flag up the warnings.

If you leave it too long before resetting, then it may trigger a backup mode. So it shouldn't take long to do by anyone who has Diagbox.
As far as I understand the car thinks that there is still about 500ml that's what came up with the scanner I have and it was described as fuel additive also I did not get any low level warning or something along those lines. Anyways I will try to do it asap, what is a backup mode?

Also can I damage the new pump if it is not adapted, activated, initialised etc. I don't know the right name for this process
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Whatever level of additive you are getting on your diagnostic is only ESTIMATED. So as I said because there is no physical measurement system , it still thinks there is 500 ml despite you topping it up with a litre. Just get it reset as soon as you can.

The new pump must be primed and there should be a procedure for this in Diagbox in the repair menu, along with the additive reset option too. The priming action promes the pump otherwise it may have an air lock and won't operate.

Marc
Roberts R

Post by Roberts R »

Update: went with the car to a local ECU shop: they reset the levels, did the pump replacement so the ECU knows it has a new pump and still I got that P1434 code. Then the ECU workshop tried to start a pump test trough the ECU ( they had a function in their scanner tool to manually activate the pump or something like that) and it did not work saying that there is a problem with a pump giving the P1434 code. The pump is brand new and there is 1L of eolys in it so let this damn quest begin. I'm going to check the wires and see if I get any output there.

P.S the car still seems to make DPF regeneration because before scanner told that last Regen was 865km ago and the soot level was about 40g and now it tells that the last regen was done about 436km ago and the soot level is about 24g
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

If you have your VIN I'll take a look at the specific code as it relates to your vehicle. Please post your VIN in full without spaces - it will be automatically masked from public view after submitting your post & will only be visible to staff.

Whilst you are at it, please provide the part number you used when purchasing the second hand pump as there are different versions according to model, build date, engine and Engine Management system fitted.

Marc
Roberts R

Post by Roberts R »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 28 Oct 2023, 10:45 If you have your VIN I'll take a look at the specific code as it relates to your vehicle. Please post your VIN in full without spaces - it will be automatically masked from public view after submitting your post & will only be visible to staff.

Whilst you are at it, please provide the part number you used when purchasing the second hand pump as there are different versions according to model, build date, engine and Engine Management system fitted.
Thank you.

The VIN: VF3**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

The part number for the pump I got: 9817154080

P.S the part number from the pump I took off was different, but when I called the dealership and told them my registration number they came up with the part number above.

The part number from the pump that was on the car : 9809778180
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Ok, so can't help with this code as it relates to your engine as it's a bit later. The fault code can have another 2 digits on the end for the specific fault, but P1434 96 relates to pump failure for which there can be multiple reasons.

I suspect it won't help if the incorrect pump has been fitted, as I can confirm that the part number you provided is not the correct one for the additive pump recorded for this specific vehicle.

Marc
Roberts R

Post by Roberts R »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 28 Oct 2023, 19:18 Ok, so can't help with this code as it relates to your engine as it's a bit later. The fault code can have another 2 digits on the end for the specific fault, but P1434 96 relates to pump failure for which there can be multiple reasons.

I suspect it won't help if the incorrect pump has been fitted, as I can confirm that the part number you provided is not the correct one for the additive pump recorded for this specific vehicle.
Yes there was a P1434(96) code

So to be clear the new pump I got is not the correct one and it could be the reason why it is not working?

Is there a good way to check the wiring? Like there is a 3 wires and I assume that one is a + second is a ground and the third is the signal wire to activate the pump. Therefore I could check the power wires but have no idea how to check the signal wire.

What is the correct part number for this vehicle?

One more question: how bad is the situation if the regeneration process is still working but the eolys is not added?

Thanks.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Ok, so here is the fault descriptor for P1494 96:
Fault Code: P1434 96
Description of Fault: Multiplexed additive pump: Multiplexed pump fault. Particle filter additive system: Electrical failure.
Detection of at least 6 faulty items of information sent by the multiplexed additive pump.
The time of appearance of the fault code is 6 seconds.
Conditions for Fault to clear: The following conditions have to be met:
- Addition of 10 litres of fuel
- Driving with the engine hot for 5 minutes
Downgrade Modes whilst Fault is active: -
Symptoms:
  • Lack of power
  • Absence of automatic stopping of the internal combustion engine
  • Starting problem
  • Deactivation or switching off of the cruise control/speed limiter function
  • Fluid leak/smells (diesel fuel, oil, etc.)
Suspect Areas:
  • Electrical harness
    Connector
  • Additive level
  • Additive tank
  • Additive injector
  • Multiplexed additive pump
  • Fuel pump - gauge module
As far as regeneration goes, essentially there won't be any additive mixed with the fuel in the tank, so it means that assisted regeneration won't be possible and the particle filter will have to rely on passive regeneration which only happens at 550 °C (so on a long motorway journey where the exhaust gasses reach this temperature). So be wary that the filter doesn't start to block as anything over 70% full can result in regeneration being ineffective and the filter will need removing for cleaning in this case.

As for official part numbers, we can help if you need an original, genuine part number or part diagram, and can't already find the info you need on the Forum. For this service, we do ask for a membership upgrade for official parts data as we are in turn charged for this. It will cover you for future part number requests for up to 2 years, so excellent value.

If interested, links are below, then provide your vehicle's VIN in full, which will be masked automatically when you submit your post.
A response to your question by a Forum Admin requiring parts or additional information requires you
to have made a current contribution
(Min. £10 / €11.48 or equivalent) to the Forum.
To Upgrade Your Membership & Donate Click Here

For Further Information About Vehicle Parts and VIN Numbers Click Here

Marc
Roberts R

Post by Roberts R »

Well I will check the wiring first and see if I can find something there.

Then the second thing I was thinking maybe the problem was that the ECU workshop didn't have the diagbox but some kind of other ECU tool. On the packaging of the new pump it was written that adaption with diagbox is necessary so maybe I will still order that cable and get the diagbox and try to go through that pump change process by myself and see if it works.

As for the regeneration process I live in the country side and at least once a week I have a one way hour drive on the motorway so maybe it's enough to DPF to regenerate.

As for the subscription I will look in to it.