Peugeot 306 2001 both keys lost, dealers cannot help, what are my options?

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Chaves

Peugeot 306 2001 both keys lost, dealers cannot help, what are my options?

Post by Chaves »

I've got a Peugeot 306 1.4 petrol, 2001, with absolutely no keys.
Went to a dealer, they said it would have costed about hundred euros but they run out of transmitter keys, so they cannot help. They can give me a key code though if I come with all the documents to them. Would that help at all?
So, what are my options?
1. Replacing all the locks from another 306 - yes, I can. Which years cars apart from 2001 would be a suitable donor? Also what do I do with immobiliser/ecu, does it have to be from a donor car as well? How does it look like and where is it fitted?
2. Getting the key code from a dealer and making a replacement transmitter key privately? Do you know anyone in Spain who can do that at a reasonable costs?
3. Getting a key cut by a dealer without the transmitter and disabling the immobiliser entirely. No one will steal this old car, I am sure. Can I somehow disable the immobiliser, is there a good video or article how to do it?
Last edited by Chaves on 23 Mar 2023, 01:34, edited 4 times in total.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Re: Peugeot 306 2000 both keys lost, dealers cannot help, what are my options?

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Peugeot are correct, they no longer supply the original plip remotes. But they should be able to provide the mechanical key codes - you just have to prove the car is yours. That would get you into the car, but you'd need to address the immobiliser issues. You can try an aftermarket locking kit.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Chaves

Post by Chaves »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 17 Mar 2023, 20:57 You can try an aftermarket locking kit.
What is that? A set of locks and keys from another used 306?
Paul-R
Donor 2023

Re: Peugeot 306 2001 both keys lost, dealers cannot help, what are my options?

Post by Paul-R »

Location of "Here on the forum" is not very helpful when asking for advice. Some things vary from country to country.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
Chaves

Post by Chaves »

Paul-R wrote: 17 Mar 2023, 21:09 Location of "Here on the forum" is not very helpful when asking for advice. Some things vary from country to country.
Fixed that
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Chaves wrote: 17 Mar 2023, 21:04
GiveMeABreak wrote: 17 Mar 2023, 20:57 You can try an aftermarket locking kit.
What is that? A set of locks and keys from another used 306?
No, what I mean is you could get the mechanical keys cut from the code provided by the dealership, which would at least allow you to lock the car and turn the ignition (but no start unless you deal with the immobiliser). But if you wanted centralised locking, you can buy aftermarket central locking kits that you can wire in, leaving the original locks in place.

Like these:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/remote-central ... ocking+kit

Marc
Chaves

Post by Chaves »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 17 Mar 2023, 22:42 No, what I mean is you could get the mechanical keys cut from the code provided by the dealership, which would at least allow you to lock the car and turn the ignition (but no start unless you deal with the immobiliser). But if you wanted centralised locking, you can buy aftermarket central locking kits that you can wire in, leaving the original locks in place.

Like these:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/remote-central ... ocking+kit
Well, I think ability to start the engine is the main priority. Is there a way to reprogram immobiliser to recognise the key from a different 306?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Chaves wrote: 17 Mar 2023, 23:14 Well, I think ability to start the engine is the main priority. Is there a way to reprogram immobiliser to recognise the key from a different 306?
I believe the immobiliser (part of the engine ECU) can only be paired/programmed once. If you think about it, if you could reprogram it at will it would defeat the purpose of an immobiliser...

One option may be to search out an ECU programmer who may be able to disable the immobiliser by modifying the ECU software.

Be aware that deliberately disabling the immobiliser may have insurance cover implications in your country. It will become a 'modified' car and certainly, here in the UK it would have to be declared as such.

If that fails, you could look for an identical car and take from that the ECU, keys, locksets and any other parts of the immobiliser transponder.

If all else fails, look at an aftermarket ECU such as the Megasquirt...

https://megasquirt.info/

It would be a lot of work but would assist in getting the car running again...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
wheeler

Post by wheeler »

With both the mechanical key code & immobiliser code this should be a totally straightforward easy job for any auto locksmith. At least for a standard non remote key.
The blade type is NE72 & it needs an ID33 transponder chip. Im not sure what remote you need but if its part no 655406 then these are currently still available with my aftermarket supplier in the UK. I just had a look at universal remotes that gan be generated & the 2 main manufacturers dont list a file for the 306.
If going down the 2nd hand route you would need the engine ECU, CPH & transponder chip form the same car. You cant reprogram the ECU or CPH from another car with regular OBD diagnostic tools however it will be doable 'on the bench' with the right tools.
Of course the mechanical key number form the dealer is only any good if the locks have never been changed.
Your best bet here is to contact a local auto locksmith.
Chaves

Post by Chaves »

What CPH stands for?
wheeler

Post by wheeler »

Its a French abbreviation which i believe roughly translates into passenger compartment protection or something along those lines.
It controls Alarm, immobiliser, central locking & interior lighting.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

It's a French abbreviation 'Centrale de Protection Habitacle' and literally means the 'Cabin Protection Unit'.

Marc
Chaves

Post by Chaves »

Thank you.
If I get replacement set of keys and lock from another 306, which years cars apart from 2001 would be a suitable donor?
I will need two keys, ignition lock, two front door locks, rear door lock and ECU/immobiliser. What else? Any glove box lock or fuel tank locks on this model? Anything else in electronics apart form ECU?
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team

Post by xantia_v6 »

The important thing is that the engine ECU must be from a car with the same engine and transmission specification. Ideally the part numbers on the ECU labels should match.
Chaves

Post by Chaves »

I managed to get the key and transponder codes from a Peugeot dealer quoting my VIN number.

But... the key code is one digit and three letters, like 0AAA (can share a real one in personal message if needed) and a locksmith I found shown me a key milling machine which accepts a code in AA0000 format. The Peugeot dealer insists the code is correct, so I am confused...

Also I got the transponder key for my VIN (AAAAAA0AA). Does that mean that someone with skills and equipment can program a transponder chip and send it to me by post without seeing my car or ECU?