DS5 noisy door seals(?)

This is the Forum for all your DS Automobiles Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Tommy2001

DS5 noisy door seals(?)

Post by Tommy2001 »

Hi there,
I have an annoying kind of popping noise that seems to come from both front doors seals of my DS5 (of 2011), it looks like a friction noise between highly dried seals and that can be heard only when the weather is dry (never when humid/rainy).
Could anyone help me to solve this issue please?
I was thinking of replacing the front left and right window channels (the kind of rubber seal that surrounds the top of the window, the part number seems to be 9687802080 and 9687801980), but these are very pricy and I am not sure it will help much. However these window channels look highly used and torn at angles so I think it may also decrease isolation and increase air noise.

Your help will be highly appreciated.
Many thanks
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Re: DS5 noisy door seals(?)

Post by GiveMeABreak »

You'll only get these from the dealer - they don't make these anywhere else as far as I'm aware.

Have you checked the actual door seals themselves? I suggest you smear a little grease on the outer facing of the rubber which may solve the noise. Often the cause can be in icy or very cold conditions where the door seals have moisture and can freeze, which are then damaged over time as the doors are opened.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Tommy2001

Post by Tommy2001 »

Thanks for your quick reply Marc, much appreciated!
Yes, I did check the door seals and cleaned them first as they were very dirty.
I will share some pictures tomorrow to show their aspect and will try to smear some grease on them but if you have any specific grease to recommend it will be great. I am wondering if any TSB related to this issue were released.
But even in not cold conditions this noise occurs unfortunately.
Paul-R
Donor 2023

Post by Paul-R »

Petroleum jelly (Vaseline) would be better than grease as such.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
MattBLancs
Donor 2024

Post by MattBLancs »

Red rubber grease is safe on rubber components:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203011115035 ... media=COPY

Have also hear good reports on Silicone Spray in similar application

https://cpc.farnell.com/c/sprays/silico ... rt=P_PRICE
Tommy2001

Post by Tommy2001 »

Paul-R wrote: 03 Feb 2023, 19:40 Petroleum jelly (Vaseline) would be better than grease as such.
Understood Paul, thanks a lot!
MattBLancs wrote: 03 Feb 2023, 21:07 Red rubber grease is safe on rubber components:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203011115035 ... media=COPY

Have also hear good reports on Silicone Spray in similar application

https://cpc.farnell.com/c/sprays/silico ... rt=P_PRICE
Thanks as well Matt, I will give it a try.
MattBLancs
Donor 2024

Post by MattBLancs »

Just watch out with the silicone spray - Keep away from anything you don't want slippy! e.g. steering wheel. It's good stuff but tends to "get about" and find other things unintentionally lubricated too (in my ham fisted experience anyway!) :)
myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Post by myglaren »

MattBLancs wrote: 03 Feb 2023, 22:49 Just watch out with the silicone spray - Keep away from anything you don't want slippy! e.g. steering wheel. It's good stuff but tends to "get about" and find other things unintentionally lubricated too (in my ham fisted experience anyway!) :)
Indeed it does.
I worked in a photostudio that had previously been a sewing factory. There were lots of odd things left behind including cans of silicone spray.

We had huge workbenches that were light-boxes, to review the photos on. These were diapositives, 'slides' to most but mostly 9 x 12 to 18 x 24 cm and were for lithographic reproduction for magazines and catalogues, not projectors.

Clients and models would come to have a look at them and would have cups of coffee/glasses of wine with them, that they would place on the lightboxes. We found it amusing to spray the lightboxes with silicone and watch the coffee/wine slide to the other end of the lightbox and fall off.

Very juvenile but the shock on faces was well worth having to clean up the mess.
Tommy2001

Post by Tommy2001 »

Hi guys,
A quick update, I ordered and used below product on all the doors seals a few days ago and it seems to work, at least for now, no door noise anymore! I will let you know in upcoming weeks/months if still works.

NEXTZETT Rubber care gummi pflege
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Thanks for the update Tommy.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
robdevil

Post by robdevil »

Tommy2001 wrote: 06 Apr 2023, 08:48 Hi guys,
A quick update, I ordered and used below product on all the doors seals a few days ago and it seems to work, at least for now, no door noise anymore! I will let you know in upcoming weeks/months if still works.

NEXTZETT Rubber care gummi pflege
In my case I've had a little crack in the corner. Bit of gorilla glue did the job. Over a year now an no problem with seal noise.